PDA

View Full Version : Lazy O2 Sensors

forumsKDC
09-29-2010, 06:56 PM
Hello,

When someone states that I may have a "Lazy o2 Sensor/s", what does that really mean?

1. That the sensor is slow in responding!
or
2. That the sensor is showing less O than there actually is and thus the ECU is dumping more fuel.
or
3. ???

I have a 2006 Silverado 5.3L V8 with 4 O2 sensors. When I monitor the O2 sensors with a scanner, the 2 sensor after the catalytic converter are around 710mv with no HHO. When I add about 2 LPM of HHO, they drop down to about 670mv.

The mv reading of the sensors after the catalytic convert do not change much, but the O2 sensors before the catalytic convert jump around like crazy. About 69% of the readings range 500-790mv, the other 29%, the readings are 10-250mv. 2% of the readings are in the middle.

Is this normal for the before catalytic convert sensors to be this erratic?

Since I have a ODBII Tuner, I am thinking of just manually leaning out the fuel mix to over come the extra O. Will this work? But, my concern is that when I have no HHO, that it will be to lean and damage the values and pistons.

Thank you and looking forward to your response.
Have a great day!

Roland Jacques
09-29-2010, 11:02 PM
You may want to contact HHO Electronics he is probably the most knowledgeable guy around with that stuff. http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=4699

You need to no whether you have a wide band or a narrow O2 sensor. I have never heard of a wide band sensor getting tiered but narrow ones do. by what you describe i think you have narrow band sensors and the front jumping around is a good thing. Narrow sensors slow down over time from what i understand.

I just check my GMC 2001 V8 5.7 last weak my front sensors change faster than my eyes & meter could read. I could barely get the jest of the high and low differences. This meant they were in good shape.
My post Cat O2 sensors did not fluctuate at all and stay at 330 mv, i think they are bad but im like you am not sure (and i know the cats are bad but i have no error code?)

here is a good Video of sensors raeding http://www.fuelsaver-mpg.com/store/analog-efie-installation-instructions (look for the video down on this page) Fuel savers are very good with support also

astrocady
09-30-2010, 10:34 AM
I concur with Roland.

But, whether you use an EFIE or mod the ECU for maximum performance/economy, you need to be able to shut it off, or go back to factory stand setting when you are NOT injecting HHO. All the EFIEs I've used have an on/off switch making that easy. If you mod the chip, I'm not sure what you have to do. Volo claims their HHO chip can determine if HHO is being injected and then chooses the proper table to sent to the ECO.

Roland Jacques
10-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Since I have a ODBII Tuner, I am thinking of just manually leaning out the fuel mix to over come the extra O. Will this work? But, my concern is that when I have no HHO, that it will be to lean and damage the values and pistons.

a tuner seems to be be a good option, it may even be the preferred way for advance HHO users. But your point about damaging parts is valid. The better your HHO is, your engine may not even run at all without it when leaned out.

For me being able to turn off a EFIE is a must