PDA

View Full Version : Need help with power supply

danihxh
08-20-2010, 05:07 AM
Hi,

I’ve got an enormous problem trying to find out what I need to feed my HHO generator.

First I thought using 2 or 3 ATX power supplies in parallel so that I can obtain about 60 amps out of the 12v terminals, but after thinking about it for a while I noticed that this would lead some problems, due to I won’t have exactly 12,000v in each output, so with this currents the only thing I could do to avoid problems would be using one diode (a big one) in each output, and I still doubt about if it would work find. These are the ATX power supplies I’m talking about:

2 x http://www.limitepc.com/fuente-alimentacion-bmove-500w-p-1565.html

3 x http://www.limitepc.com/fuente-alimentacion-bmove-micro-400w-p-1680.html

Then I read about PWM with frequency adjustment and all that and I decided that this would be better, but I still need a DC power supply. I’ve made some research about PWM circuits, but I can only find some schematics of low-power PWM and a lot of people or companies that sell heavy duty PWMs specifics for HHO generation.

Need help! I don’t even know where to start…

noobtard
08-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Well, I probably won't be much help but..

I just got my first dry cell together.. I designed it around the idea of using 2 comp power supplies...

So far, I decided just to test it using a single psu(because I'm lazy)
The amperage fluctuates way too much... aka I turn it on, it draws around 4.56 amps.. after a few minutes it's down to 3amps.. if I flip it on/off after it's been running a while I noticed the amps jump to 6 for a split second.. then back down to 3.. etc..

I don't know if it's just the current psu I'm testing or what but, sumtingwong.

I'm about to butcher a brand new comp psu and see if it's any better.. will let you know.

other options: older high amp 12v battery charger..(good luck they're insane on ebay..) or microwave oven transformer..(basically free, but semi-dangerous..)

noobtard
08-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Holy p00p.

I just hooked up the new PSU..
drawing 18amps cold...(about 2 teaspoons KOH added..same amount as old psu.)

I only had it on about 20 seconds.. and:
http://home.comcast.net/~imadepoops/hmmmm.jpg
it filled a balloon that much.. + tons of foam..(argh.)

So um,(kind of shaking right now, never saw that much hho...)
Computer psu's *might* be a viable option still..
I got this one on sale from newegg for $15...550watt 12v 25amp..
(Doubt it would last long term..)

The old psu however was bad to start with I think.. did not work well even for Computer use-age.

Dunno, I still doubt this is any help.. sorry if I Hijacked..

*edit: turned it on a second time and the balloon popped in about 15secs...(stoopid old balloons.)made me jump at least*

*Edit #2:* ...Well, that computer PSU lasted maybe 2 hours of run time before dying.
My conclusion = comp psu's fail.. voltage drop, don't last, etc..
(A cheap-o mig welder may be another option for power..)

*Edit #3* I've re-wound a MOT.. having major heat issues with that too... arghhh