PDA

View Full Version : flash suppressor or bubler

homersimpson30
07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
:rolleyes:what is safer, flash suppressor or bubler?
:rolleyes:Does a flash suppressor made from steel wool restrict the LPM?
:rolleyes:If a explosion was to occure would the cause most likely be from the car, bubler, or the cell?

countryboy18
07-29-2008, 11:13 PM
idk which one is better but don't use steel wool it is flammable. you have to use bronze wool in the flash back. my thing is that the flash back will require more pressure to produce the same lpm as a blubber.

justaguy
07-29-2008, 11:19 PM
From what most say, the flash suppressor wouldn't help due to the speed of the hho if it exploded. The flash would not go through the water in the bubbler, however depending on how violent the bubbles are in the top of the bubbler the flash could reach the bubbles. A lot of people are using a 2 inch plumbers pop off cap in the top of the bubbler snugged just tight enough to not leak. Then if a flashback occured the pop off would save the bubbler.

Omega
07-30-2008, 12:37 AM
Commercial flame arrestors use stainless steel mesh to cool the flame so that it won't proceed. Several stainless steel mesh rounds (I would start with 6, myself) spaced evenly in a pipe would be a good starting point. You could space them with short pieces of tubing or pipe that has tight fit in the pipe housing used for the arrestor.

SS mesh cut already cut into rounds is available at almost any headshop for really cheap. :eek: :D

dennyk159
07-30-2008, 08:27 AM
IMO, a bubbler is the way to go. The water forms a positve barrier, whereas a flame arrestor is essentially open. I was doing some bubble lighting testing once through a secondary bubbler. I had the output from the generator going to the 2" PVC bubbler, then the output from that going into a 5 gallon bucket of water. The pops from lighting the bubbles are pretty cool. But then the hose creeped up to surface of the water, & I hadn't noticed. I ended up lighting the end of the tube. The explosion was pretty loud, & water was splashed everywhere, but the only thing that happened was it blew the plumber's test plug off the top of my bubbler... See pic of bubbler... After some seaching, I found the test cap ~40ft away in the yard...

Omega
07-30-2008, 02:37 PM
IMO, a bubbler is the way to go. The water forms a positve barrier, whereas a flame arrestor is essentially open. I was doing some bubble lighting testing once through a secondary bubbler. I had the output from the generator going to the 2" PVC bubbler, then the output from that going into a 5 gallon bucket of water. The pops from lighting the bubbles are pretty cool. But then the hose creeped up to surface of the water, & I hadn't noticed. I ended up lighting the end of the tube. The explosion was pretty loud, & water was splashed everywhere, but the only thing that happened was it blew the plumber's test plug off the top of my bubbler... See pic of bubbler... After some seaching, I found the test cap ~40ft away in the yard...

Cool!! Do it again so we can watch!!!:D

HHOhoper
07-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Cool!! Do it again so we can watch!!!:D

Yeah! Make sure you're videoing too!

justaguy
07-30-2008, 08:13 PM
That is exactly what I was talking about, thanks for the post and pic.