PDA

View Full Version : Dry cell

jakedachef
07-30-2010, 09:39 PM
Hello I am planning on constructing a dry cell. My plate demensions are 4x7" i want to know what would be a good thickness for my gaskets? Also what is the best electrolite water mixture?

spicerman
08-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Hi
What voltage are you planning to use? Divide your volts by 2 and that's how many neutral plates you should use.
1/16 rubber (EPDM) works well. 4x7 is a little High/width but will work. (You may be hindered by the bubbles between the plates, thus less production.) Use 6 neutrals/per= (+nnnnnn-) for your car. This worked well for me= (-nnnnnn++nnnnnn-)
Use distilled water and a 25% mix by weight of Lye. <64oz water to 16 oz lye>
Spicerman

playingaround
08-17-2010, 07:48 PM
What's the difference in the thickness of the gaskets, in other words what is going to happen if i use 1/16 or 3/16 gaskets?

Does the thickness of the SS plates matter?

I am still reading and finding out more but a simple basic issue is eluding me, how do you keep only so much water level in the generator? I plan on using regular radiator reservoir to supply it but how do you keep it from overflowing the generator?

Likewise on the out for the gas I assume you can just have the gas go into a tube that goes into a high enough loop the bubbler level won't come back into it.

I am sure these are simple answers I just haven't found yet but help is appreciated. I am trying to build a complete system without spending any money other than electronics so basic answers are best.