PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot find...

BioFarmer93
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM
I was wandering around Home Depot yesterday gathering odds and ends, when Lo! and Behold! ..what should appear before my eyes, rolled up on a pipe out in the garden section? Nothing less than black EPDM about .04" or .05" thick x 15' wide sold by the running foot.. I did a quick mental calc as visions of hundreds of inexpensive gaskets swam before my eyes.. It worked out to about a dollar a square foot. You can imagine my unbridled delight, as only last friday I was quoted $5.30 a square foot for the same thing from an online supplier. Just thought I'd share.. -Later

myoldyourgold
07-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Bio if you are looking for any volume I can get you a quote on a die and the gaskets at a very reasonable price. Just need the drawings and specs. If you are interested PM me. Simple stainless dies run around $100 or less and are good for years. They can even be resharpened.

myoldyourgold
07-19-2010, 03:17 PM
I might be interested. I'll let you know as soon as my shims come in form injection molding.

Shane, anytime, happy to help.

lhazleton
07-19-2010, 05:41 PM
BF>> Is there a difference between the black and grey EPDM?
I've been using the grey, but will change if there would be any kind of improvement.

BioFarmer93
07-19-2010, 06:02 PM
Ahem... Er, ah yes Lee... I have studied the subject in depth and have concluded the difference lies in the distinctive coloration variance observed in the two samples:D:D:D

rcflyn
07-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Damn, I guess I'm gonna have to get to my local Home Depot and HOPE like HEJJ that it isn't just YOUR Local store that has that sale...

Lee, Of COURSE it makes a difference in which one you Use... Come on, you KNOW Better than that... Just put a Stainless steel Bolt through the Plates, and you'll see the difference it makes....
Sorry.....

lhazleton
07-19-2010, 09:59 PM
Ahem... Er, ah yes Lee... I have studied the subject in depth and have concluded the difference lies in the distinctive coloration variance observed in the two samples:D:D:D

LOL, BF! Alas, one of the last of the nice guys has turned into a smartass...:rolleyes:

And Brian..........well, you're just being Brian...........;p

BioFarmer93
07-19-2010, 11:31 PM
:o(head hung in shame) I'm sorry... It was a.. a.. a momentary lapse of reason- yeah! that's what it was!:D
-To be perfectly honest Lee, I don't know if there is a difference or not, but based on something I read here a month or two ago about the conductivity of even the worst of the EPDM's, I'm going to use it instead of the PVC shower pan liner. The PVC looked fine when I first disassembled the units, but crinkled up in a matter of hours, making it useless to use for the reassembly. I have media blasted about forty of my plates now, so I really have to get busy to have everything back together for the trip to south Fla. this weekend to show off the diesel.

astrocady
07-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Bio -- Where are you going in south florida? Is there a show somewhere I don't know of, or are you just showing you truck off to friends?

Steve
aka: That Guy,
SmartAss,
The person even Jesus hates

BioFarmer93
07-20-2010, 09:15 AM
Steve, going to New Port Richey this Sat. the 24th. for a one day get together with some of the Fla. members of Oil Burners dot com, where we are going to tell lies, have a cookout, admire each others old Ford idi diesel pickup trucks and get the pumps timed by one of the members. That really isn't more than a hop, skip & a jump for you, want to come and talk about diesels and HHO? I don't know that I'll have my system reinstalled by then, but I am going to try to have the water injection working...

astrocady
07-20-2010, 09:38 AM
I would LOVE to! Let me run this by the boss (the one at home -- the REAL boss) and I get back to you.

Steve
aka: That Guy

BioFarmer93
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
LOL! Yeah, know what you mean- I proposed this to MY boss in terms of a little mini-getaway long weekend kind of deal, we won't be going back to work until next Tuesday, and I'm taking Thursday & Friday off as well to get the truck ready.. Hey!- your boss can meet my boss!

cabrera
07-23-2010, 10:00 PM
I was wandering around Home Depot yesterday gathering odds and ends, when Lo! and Behold! ..what should appear before my eyes, rolled up on a pipe out in the garden section? Nothing less than black EPDM about .04" or .05" thick x 15' wide sold by the running foot.. -Later

Bio...A frugal man after my own heart!
I bought this stuff at home depot also to build my dry cell. They work great. Tight, no leaks, no problems at all!

lhazleton
07-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Andy,
I thought you used the grey shower pan liner. Is there a difference?

cabrera
07-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Andy,
I thought you used the grey shower pan liner. Is there a difference?

They come in both EPDM or PVC.
I used to use the 1/16" thick EPDM shower pan liner material which can also used as pond liners & such.

lhazleton
07-26-2010, 03:47 PM
Ben,
This is readily available at any Home Depot or Lowes. The last sheet I bought was around $12 for a 2'x4' piece.
Also, welcome back! Hope you had a nice trip.

myoldyourgold
07-26-2010, 07:58 PM
koya1893, The dies are made to fit a Pop press. I think that is what it is called. It's air operated and makes one strike down the up and is foot operated. The die is auto eject. To use the die by hand I do not think will work. The gaskets are not that expensive once you own the die. More than making them yourself though. I own a 6X6X1/2 (is also stated 6X5 od 6" id 5") inch die and have plenty of gaskets in 1/8 thickness and can have 1/16 cut any time. PM me if you are really interested and would be happy help. The local guy is fast and I can stand right there and make sure it is done!! The die takes about 7-10 days to make depending on how complicated it is and work load.

I have found that if you have 10 sq inches active area or larger 1/16 is to close after the squeeze and production suffers. It might not be in all reactors but that is what I found in mine.

lhazleton
08-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Bio,
I went to Home Depot today & got the .40" black pond liner. Good deal!
$10 for enough to redo all of my gaskets plus have a bunch left over.
It seems softer than the shower pan liner I've been using, so hopefully it'll seal better with less torque.
I made a tempate tonight, so tomorrow I should have all of the gaskets done.
The next thing I want to get is some of the clear 2" PVC for my bubblers.

astrocady
08-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Y'all should order this catalog -- Aquatic Eco-Systems, Inc. 877-347-4788
You can shop online at AquaticEco.com, but the paper catalog is a really good reference book, IMO.

They deal mainly with the professional aquarium and fish breeders and have lots of plastic fitting, hoses, valves, tubing, air stones, check valves, etc. Their prices are not always the best, so if you want quantities you should shop around. But some items, like their 3/8 barbed ball valves for $1.53 each, can't be beat.

Anyway, they have clear pvc in many sizes, along with clear tee, elbows and couplings. The 2" is 9.50/ft, so not nearly cheap as Ben's place, but if you can buy only a foot if that's all you need. Still, the catalog is great to have.

Steve

astrocady
08-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Also, the barb I get for .60 cents each from a local True Value store, supporting the local business is great.

No, I'm not talking about a barb fitting. This is a ball valve with barb fittings molded on each end.

lhazleton
08-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Ben,
The part number is 677876. That's what the guy wrote on the tape he used to hold the roll together. Just go to Home Depot. It's .040" pond liner folded and on a roll. It's 15 feet wide and ten bucks per linear foot. I can make 40 gaskets for my 6x9 reactor with the 1 foot piece!:D

rcflyn
08-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Ya know, EVERY Frigging Store I stop at, I look for CLEAR PVC. And I can't find it ANYWHERE other than online, or catalogs...
Koya, How you get so lucky to have a Local store STOCK it...
Lee, Ya wanna go halvsies on a 10' Piece? From Koya?????