PDA

View Full Version : Gigantic Rig Size HHO platform?

Rusty
07-07-2010, 07:22 AM
Howdy yall,

This is my first post here and what brought me here was this idea I had looking at an Oil rig. It looked kinda like a dry cell and I knew it wasn't but I thought what if it was?

So on this note I am thinking what would it take to build one?

First I am thinking to accomplish this it would help to establish oneself as a 501c non profit co-op. Free money from grants and private individual investment and backing...

Then the materials themselves... Lots of stainless steel and massive tubing...No idea how much that would cost... and the electrolyte...is natural salt water enough or would it take barges of Baking soda (or lye)?

and the electricity...On the open ocean that could be as easy as Massive wind turbines and solar panel fields...

And all to do what?

To make enough hydrogen to supplement or replace the petroleum industry.

And why not?

More and more folks are looking for a way out of the Oil economy. We know what Hydrogen can do. If it could be produced on a massive industrial scale...even on a lake ,pond, or river...to start small and show the potential for larger investors....

Hydrogen powered Ocean Liners...

What do yall think? Am I dreaming to big?

BioFarmer93
07-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Cool- one of my favorite idea/mega concept/fantasies!
We can't use sea water straight because it'll make chlorine, but we CAN use solar thermal and photovoltaics for desalinization and pumping (and everything else too). We'll have to try and keep costs down at every turn, so we use wind/solar generated low current through pre-shaped wire mesh in the water to build up calciferous growth (deposits) on it so we can grow our own floats and barges. Use the new nano solar printed solar ink type cells so they can be arrayed in long rafts on lots and lots of small floats so in bad weather they can be reeled in/rolled up like fishing nets. Since Oxygen is a byproduct, purify and sell that too. Floating submerged ballast wind turbines of a reduced scale- but lots of them tethered together with their kevlar reinforced insulation clad conductors. Nickel in the e-lyzers instead of SS so we can avoid another kind of environmental disaster... OK, somebody else pick up here and carry on- ideas should be do-able with current technology...

OH! -welcome to the forum Rusty..