PDA

View Full Version : Is a bit of steam ok?

viper_1986_1986
04-19-2010, 12:36 AM
I know that using KOH and KaOH the steam is true H2O, no KOH or KaOH is in it, correct?

If that is true then a bit of water vapor will not effect the engine in a bad, way, if anything, it will be good?

I have heard of injecting water vapor to give more of a BANG. Since water can not be compressed it pushed on the pistons more.
This CAN be bad if it pushes too hard, can cause a bent rod or something?

Issues is my cell seems to be running fine, it gets up to 140f or so and creates a bit of steam after an hour and hits about 25amps.

cabrera
04-19-2010, 08:48 AM
I know that using KOH and KaOH the steam is true H2O, no KOH or KaOH is in it, correct?

If that is true then a bit of water vapor will not effect the engine in a bad, way, if anything, it will be good?

I have heard of injecting water vapor to give more of a BANG. Since water can not be compressed it pushed on the pistons more.

Issues is my cell seems to be running fine, it gets up to 140f or so and creates a bit of steam after an hour and hits about 25amps.

Add a 50/50 mix of vinegar & distilled water to the bubbler. Also in my bubbler on the inlet I have a hose & a brass stone filter submerged in the solution. I get not noticeable vapor, even when I put the gas hose right up to a mirror.

viper_1986_1986
04-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Just to note, i have a bubbler/res.
NO bubbler/scrubber.

Is that ok to do the 50/50 mix in?

I do plan on getting a 2nd bubbler just not yet :)

cabrera
04-19-2010, 04:15 PM
Just to note, i have a bubbler/res.
NO bubbler/scrubber.

Is that ok to do the 50/50 mix in?

I do plan on getting a 2nd bubbler just not yet :)

Noooo.
You don't want that in the electrolyte mix.

Get a scrubber between your intake and the reservoir line out. (don't forget flash protections between the scrubber & the intake). Nothing fancy just a piece of PVC with 2 barbs.

Mine is a stainless bottle with a flashport on it.

http://72.35.72.219/~library/26171/HHO%20CALC_files/0318001406.jpg

whynotthinkwhynot
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM

More like less of a bang. Water/methanol injection is used to mimic racing fuel in high compression or forced induction engines. Contrary to popular belief, the higher your octane rating, the slower the fuel burns. Water does compress, and so does steam. What it will do is clean your combustion chamber of carbon buildup. I used to dump water down carbs in some engines to clean out carbon buildup- like from one that had been running rich for a long time needing a rebuild. In small amounts it's ok. In large amounts liquid water can damage internal components because it won't compress as much as steam or the fuel/air mix.