PDA

View Full Version : Looks like it works..

BioFarmer93
04-18-2010, 06:15 PM
OK, the leaks are fixed, electrolyte added, taken for a test drive.. I am happy to report that the electronics are working like they are supposed to, and the alternator can supply all 150A at 8V! I made the belt squeal one time by turning the amps up too quickly. I will set up and run the lpm test in the next day or two. Until then, here is the video location on Youtube. Sorry the ammeter is so hard to read- I'll use a light on it next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIqOmFj4Nt0

cabrera
04-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Bio
That is one impressive setup!
Looks like you'll be able to hide/protect the unit easily in a diamond plate bed box.
What is the max output of the alternator?

H2OPWR
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
That is a very impressive set up. Best of luck.

Larry

viper_1986_1986
04-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Heh i guess thats in a safe spot :D
I can see someone putting it in the tail end of the truck and then getting rear ended :D

That is ONE nice setup too.
I plan on making one for my father's 92 S-10 over the summer. I hope it looks something like yours....

BioFarmer93
04-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Thank you to everyone for the kind words. I'm glad the build is finished and works, since it has taken me nearly 7 months from initial design to completion and I am ready to work on something else now. I have gathered together most of the parts and pieces to make the measuring device, and will try to get that put together over the next day or two. I am very interested to see what kind of production I can get at different amperage settings, and start searching for the sweet spot. I have no mileage numbers yet, as the big testing weekend with the electrical engineers, visual fuel setup and video documentation is going to take a bit of logistics to pull together, but so far everyone is onboard with the idea and as anxious to see the results as I am.

@ Cabrera- I wish! -I should have paid more attention to the size of the tool boxes because that was my plan from the start. However... I'm afraid I built it just a little too tall to fit in any that I can afford, so a plywood box may be in its future.. The alternator is actually a 150A Zena continuous duty rated welding power supply unit that I purchased back in '06 with the basic electronics package for welding, which turned out to be exactly the same thing we need for fine tuning volts & amps in HHO production.

@ Koya- Thank you very much, and yes, I am really looking forward to some diesel install photos and videos from you... Even now I am alredy thinking how I might condense everything to get it mounted in front of the radiator, but that is not a priority at the moment. 21.6mpg? Sounds pretty good for 3.5lpm. Did he do a little tune up to go along with the HHO? Maybe fresh inectors? You know that you can back off the injection timing and save a little fuel that way too, now that you have that flame front speed enhanced. By the way, what does BZ mean? I got out in '82 and don't remember that one- or is it fairly new?

@ H2OPWR- Thank you sir... Luck and distilled water...

@ Viper- Thank you, and yeah with a F350 Crew/Dually that has a trailer hitch, if some one rear-ends me, the LEAST of their worries is going to be the pop of a bit of hydrogen, or some KOH water possibly ruining their pant! I guess your dad's S10 is a gasoline/computer engine? I can only wish you the best of luck in your pursuit... After seeing all the flaming hoops that late model vehicle owners have to jump through to get any kind of improvement, it reinforces yet again the sense of satisfaction I have with the decision to go old school diesel. I have been casually looking for an older ('85) Mercedes turbo-diesel to convert (or buy already converted) to run on WVO/HHO or BIO-D/HHO

BioFarmer93
04-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Koya, I really like the red Oatey stopper you are using for a lid- so much that I went and searched until I found out what it was, because my caps are a royal pain in the butt to take off and put on, plus they don't seal real well unless you crank down on them. I have seen one of those expandable pipe plugs before, but it was lost in memory until the photo reminded me. How did the Powerstroke do? Was it a year-model with the split-shot injection? I've recently been thinking that the split-shot problem may be able to be solved by just retarding the injection timing by a degree when using HHO. Know a good chip man? Listening to that Powerstroke idle sure sounded smooth compared to the lope that my N/A 7.3 idi has- almost sounds like a little cam action going on in the old motors, but I have listened to a dozen of them and they all sound the same.

I like the fact that your design fits in the tool box. Very nice looking build. The only thing I see that gives me any concern is the exposed electronics on the side. You might want to consider some form of splash guard or cover for when you're filling the system- I know the tool box lid keeps the rain off of it.

rcflyn
04-20-2010, 10:04 AM
BIO, Nice work. Cant wait to hear some more outcomes.
You mentioned finding an 85 or older Mercedes to experement on.
I just recently traded my 92 F-250 7.3idi in for an 85 BMW 524TD.
2.4L I6 Turbo Diesel. I never got around to installing my wet cell onto my F-250, and that unit is way to Tall for the BMW. Plus I've put most of my attention on the Dry Cells anyways. But, I've already got Ideas for the HHO on the BMW.

rcflyn
04-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Koya

I don't remember the Details on how to do it, But on the Old IDI's, there's an inspection plate (I guess you'd call it) on the front of the Injector pump. You pull 2 small bolts out, turn the engine over until you see a small allen head bolt, and you can raise and lower the injectors fuel delivery. Powerstroke.org is a good place to start, even tho the IDI's aren't powerstrokes, there's plenty of good IDI Info on that site

BioFarmer93
04-20-2010, 10:11 AM
OK, I just did a little research.. It looks like California Powerstrokes got the split shots in '96 and the rest of the country in '97. As for timing the Powerstrokes, you are going to have to do it with a programmer. I wish I could say that I know more about the computer end of the later diesels but I don't. I have an old one that you just loosen a couple bolts and rotate the whole pump- injector lines and all! Not exactly high tech but that's one of the idi's charms.

Don't worry about making a video for the pipe plug/coupler reinforcement unless you just want to- when I saw off my current threaded reducer top I will be left with the outer body of it to serve the same purpose. Good idea, it sounds like you may have had a pipe crack on you?

If the '91 you're getting ready to do is anything at all like my '89, it's going to love it.. I'm not going to get any better mileage out of it though until I can keep my foot off of the skinny pedal! Ole Henry runs so strong now that I find I have to shift short and no longer have to ride the power band... Absolutely amazing what sounds like now also, such sharp detonations.

BioFarmer93
04-20-2010, 10:30 AM
RC,
Are you going to have enough room in that Beemer to get the planes to the field, or do you have a trailer??? When I started flying the bigger stuff I ended up getting an old Chevy van and pulling the back two rows of seats out of it. I could haul the whole shop to a contest, or a flying buddy and all his stuff as well.

As far as the quest to get the best mileage possible from my truck goes, there are several more things on the agenda. Functional ram-air. New pop-matched injectors. Exhaust system re-sizing. Water injection.

BioFarmer93
04-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Koya, Good job on the demo, I predict you just initiated a movement, or at least started a fad!

lhazleton
04-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Koya,
As BioFarmer said, nice job on the video. I've used these expansion caps in the past & they worked well. I did a build for a friend and when he got a flashback (he didn't have an arrestor yet), the cap blew off & there was no damage anywhere.
The only reason I don't use them anymore is due to contamination. The 28% KOH E/lyte will eat away at the round part of the steel through-bolt that is exposed within the reservoir and bubbler.
I have since changed to the black rubber caps that are secured with a hose-clamp and no longer have any contamination.
You might want to try coating the exposed steel with silicone or something similar.

rcflyn
04-24-2010, 01:31 AM
RC,
Are you going to have enough room in that Beemer to get the planes to the field, or do you have a trailer??? When I started flying the bigger stuff I ended up getting an old Chevy van and pulling the back two rows of seats out of it. I could haul the whole shop to a contest, or a flying buddy and all his stuff as well.

As far as the quest to get the best mileage possible from my truck goes, there are several more things on the agenda. Functional ram-air. New pop-matched injectors. Exhaust system re-sizing. Water injection.

LMAO, I've had this name for close to 15 years, and you, my friend, are the FIRST to catch it. I haven't honestly messed with the RC Planes in well over 5 years now. I originally bought my 1st plane as a reward to myself for quitting smoking. But, then I realized, NOBODY likes a quitter. So my reward to myself just didn't seem justifiable. That first plane, I crashed it, BAD.
Low and behold, I QUIT again, so I rewarded myself yet again. With a Bigger and gooder plane. I did crash it once, but it wasn't a wash out. But This one, Still just a Trainer, was more user friendly. 6' wing Span, Shoot, I don't even remember the name of it. All I do remember is it's SUPPOSED to be an 0.40. Well, how many guys do you know that goes by the "Specifications"???
I cheated and got er an 0.60. I flew that plane SEVERAL times, was ALMOST confident enough to tell my trainer to get lost. But, once again, I realized NOBODY likes a Quiter, and I started smoking yet again. And, because I originally bought the plane as a reward, I didn't feel it was right to keep rewarding myself with the plane, so she's sat in the closet for well over 5 years now. It's kinda funny, I was just drooling over it a few days ago, But, I'm still smoking, so there she'll sit.
But, back on topic, HHHHAAAAA, there's no way I'm gonna get it in the Beemer. That's what the van will be for, SHOULD I ever decide to "QUIT Smoking" again.

rcflyn
04-24-2010, 01:44 AM
Koya, once again, Nice video, I'm still realitively new in the HHO field, But, I've always Just used PVC pipe for my Resivouirs and Bubblers, There's so many options for fittings with pvc, that it is almost limited to your imagination. it's a whole lot easier/faster thinking/dreaming up ideas, than it is waiting on SNAIL MAIL...:D