PDA

View Full Version : PCV vacuum is WAY too strong.... (crushing bubbler/res)

viper_1986_1986
04-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I will be posting a video sometime over the weekend.

Info:
2000 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0 DOHC
Around 1.5lmp on a 13 plate dry cell at 14v.
Bubbler/res i use one of those cheap coolant tanks.

I have the HHO running into right in front of the PCV valve.
So it goes....
Crankcase > PCV valve > to a T (HHO in at this point) > behind throttle body.
The Engine dies if the vacuum is allowed to suck TOO much air in, but if i plug the tube the engine runes fine (i just get blow by coming out of the PCV valve).
So when the HHO is put into the T the bubbler/res gets crumpled and water gets sucked to the hose VERY fast (i almost didn't get the car turned off the first time).

After some messing around i took the res cap off and put a hole in it. So there is a STRONG vacuum but its filling that void with air from the outside.
When car is at idle is when the vacuum is strongest and once i get up to around 2500rpms the vacuum almos dies. Thus i dont think much HHO is being sucked in.
Also when the car as at idle is ALMOST wants to die as its pulling AIR in from the outside and not from soley the crankcase like it should be.

Any tips?

One idea was to put a one way PSI check valve on the bubbler/res to say 5psi so it only opens up around when the tanks starts to get crushed? This would stop the crushing of the tank but the idle would still be very bumpy and shakey.

Another was to use a PVC pipe for my bubbler/res as that wont crush, but i am unsure of the effects? Would it just suck the water up? Crush my HHO hose with the mass vacuum?

Or should i try putting the HHO in ABOVE the throttle body. I have a SRI (similar to CAI) so i get an rubber elbow which i could easily cut and put HHO in and seal it up, just its not removeble (i would have to have 2 elbows to swap them back and forth)
Would that work better?

/edit
Also on top side of engine there is another PCV port which goes to the airintake, BEFORE the MAF. But OHHHHhhhh (thinking).... but it was SUCKING air, from the throttle body, not pushing into it. I just relized that was at IDLE that i tested that. If i open the throttle body up (give the car gas) it will it blow air from the top of the crankcase and suck it to the throttle body?
Well i must go to work now so i will have to test that when i get home, and sorry for the confusion....
/edit end
/edit
yeah it just sucked more with 3000rpms...
/edit end

Sorry i am very bad at wording problems, i hope someone understands my issue and ill get that video up ASAP.

edit:
Here is picture of PCV system setup....

http://hhoforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1540&d=1270788996

Youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJCyMsMY9VE
Was in a hurry, was gunna be late for work

cabrera
04-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Any tips?

Yeah...Don't do that!:D LOL

Seriously, there are 2 places you don't want your HHO going to:

Your vacuum line to your brake booster
Your pcv

Your best bet is to place your HHO line from your bubbler in the intake hose as close to the
throttle body as possible. This is my setup. My HHO is the black hose on the right of the intake.

http://72.35.72.219/~library/26171/stuff/17.jpg

On my VW bug the inlet was a vacuum on the intake manifold just below the carb.

viper_1986_1986
04-09-2010, 12:56 AM
See that air intake hose for me goes FROM the air intake TO the top of the engine!
It sucks air AWAY from the throttle botty..

Here is a picture of how it is with my car.
I took the picture this morning before i had the HHO line in place...

But i show how the air flows through the PCV system...

Youtube video:
Was in a hurry, was gunna be late for work :D

cabrera
04-09-2010, 07:16 AM
See that air intake hose for me goes FROM the air intake TO the top of the engine!
It sucks air AWAY from the throttle botty..

Here is a picture of how it is with my car.
I took the picture this morning before i had the HHO line in place...

But i show how the air flows through the PCV system...

Youtube video:
Was in a hurry, was gunna be late for work :D

Try this:

http://www.hhoforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1542&stc=1&d=1270848434

Like I said put a barb either in the rubber elbow close the the TB or in the aluminum tube just before the rubber elbow & feed your HHO there. The intake will not crush your bubbler

rcflyn
04-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Andy, Did you FORGET Something after the "Try This"?????????

viper_1986_1986
04-09-2010, 08:01 PM
Ah ok guess i will go buy a 2nd elbow and give that a go :D
I knew 100% that wouldn't crush the bubbler. But for some reason i thought the PCV was better :D
Silly me!

Also i am going to take a wild guess to this question.... and say marine goop?
What is the best way to seal the barb into the elbow?

cabrera
04-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Ah ok guess i will go buy a 2nd elbow and give that a go :D
I knew 100% that wouldn't crush the bubbler. But for some reason i thought the PCV was better :D
Silly me!

Also i am going to take a wild guess to this question.... and say marine goop?
What is the best way to seal the barb into the elbow?

The elbow is rubber?
If so yes marine goop will do nicely you can shape it so that it is barely noticeable (I am a stickler for the OEM look). And use a plastic barb.

viper_1986_1986
04-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Yes from my first wet cell i made i have learned brass doesn't stay very brassy for too long.....

Also yes, its rubber coming from the throttle body, i got a AEM SRI....

Ok thanks for the help :D

edit:
Just a update(ish)... i couldnt find a 2nd rubber elbow anyplace... i aint paying 20$+ from AEM. So i went to auto zone and picked up a plastic elbow as a backup....
Ill be cutting into the rubber sometime next week...

HHOJeeper
06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
Just plug the rubber with a bolt for temporary removal of gas. If you are permanently removing it THEN get a new rubber intake elbow. Do you have a metal fitting to a vacuum line to a fuel rail? My Jeep has a low psi vacuum line going from intake manifold to fuel rail. If disconnected the truck runs on stock computer numbers but its sucking away from the fuel rail. So for me, if I put a T fitting in there it would give me small generator vacuum and be pulling gas vapor/ HHO into intake. Just an idea to apply low vacuum