PDA

View Full Version : HHO home power generator

countryboy18
07-28-2008, 11:29 PM
has anyone made or know if it is possable to run a home generator off of HHO. then if the power goes out the generator could run off gas untill there is enough HHO to run it. then the gass would stop and the generator would run forever as long as there is water

daveczrn
07-29-2008, 12:46 AM
unfortunatly this is not possible. It takes more energy to produce HHO than we have currently been able to get out of burning HHO.

countryboy18
09-05-2008, 04:04 PM
well could use then some gas and hho and then you will be using just less gas to produce the same energy.

mario brito
09-05-2008, 04:17 PM
Unless you have acess to free electric energy, you'll use more energy to produce HHO then the energy you get burning it.

Thanks

RMForbes
09-05-2008, 05:22 PM
Actually that's not true. The mechanism that increases the efficiency of the motor by injecting hho has nothing to do with input and ouput energy. It increases the flame speed of combustion. The closer the peak of the pressure wave from the combustion of the fuel is to the beginning of the downward combustion stroke the higher the efficiency.

mario brito
09-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Actually that's not true. The mechanism that increases the efficiency of the motor by injecting hho has nothing to do with input and ouput energy. It increases the flame speed of combustion. The closer the peak of the pressure wave from the combustion of the fuel is to the beginning of the downward combustion stroke the higher the efficiency.

Correct. But that's not what we are talking here :)

countryboy18
09-05-2008, 11:19 PM
what i am trying to think about is make a home generator for like storms and power outages that will save fuel or even be powered on HHO alone.

sp1r0
09-06-2008, 07:08 AM
This is the purpose of my research into HHO also. Generator's are a much simpler place to start tinkering than auto's. When I find one at a garage sale, time to start tinkering.

Jaxom
09-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I've been keeping an eye out for a deal on one as well, although I just plan to go with a small electrolyzer to up the efficiency. I don't think HHO as the primary fuel will be effective unless you fill a large pressurized storage tank with it, so that you will have a reserve on hand.

countryboy18
09-07-2008, 02:22 PM
well even if you start it on gas untill there is production of HHO then cut out the gas and is should run forever just add water. how do you figure out how much gas you have to product to keep it running?

JojoJaro
09-07-2008, 03:02 PM
well even if you start it on gas untill there is production of HHO then cut out the gas and is should run forever just add water. how do you figure out how much gas you have to product to keep it running?

Not possible. What you're thinking is a 'Perpetual Motion Machine'.

You can't get more energy than what you put in. I suspect you've heard this before and convinced that I am wrong. If so, have fun. When you figure it out, patent it, make a billion and let us know.

countryboy18
09-07-2008, 03:28 PM
i have heard of it but didnt have a great understanding on the concepts of it i will have to study up on it thanks for bring it to my attention!

countryboy18
09-07-2008, 03:48 PM
i am stuck on my idea i just need a cell that can produce alot of gas efficiently and just hook it up. but if there is a engine person out there can a normal home gererator be run only on HHO. i know with a lawn mower it has 2 sparks so it will back fire. is that the same thing for power generators.

Genchaos
09-07-2008, 05:28 PM
The main problem I see with converting a small engine to HHO (also the reason they fire back through the carburetor) is the fact that you can't adjust the spark timing easily. When the spark happens the intake valve is still partially open.

I have been tinkering with this for a little while as my whole house and greenhouse is off of the grid. I never suffer blackouts but I do occasionally need more power than I can produce. I have a generator (5kw) that is a gas hog (1gal/hour) so I rarely use it.

Most of my supplimental power comes from my old lawn tractor motor and a 200 amp alternator. It is HHO boosted and I get 5 hours per gallon, I only need it an hour or so per day so the 5 gallon tank lasts for well over a month on average. I haven't boosted the 5kw gen yet as it is rarely used. May find time after I finish the Trooper to do it.

Painless
09-07-2008, 06:12 PM
The main problem I see with converting a small engine to HHO (also the reason they fire back through the carburetor) is the fact that you can't adjust the spark timing easily. When the spark happens the intake valve is still partially open.

I have been tinkering with this for a little while as my whole house and greenhouse is off of the grid. I never suffer blackouts but I do occasionally need more power than I can produce. I have a generator (5kw) that is a gas hog (1gal/hour) so I rarely use it.

Most of my supplimental power comes from my old lawn tractor motor and a 200 amp alternator. It is HHO boosted and I get 5 hours per gallon, I only need it an hour or so per day so the 5 gallon tank lasts for well over a month on average. I haven't boosted the 5kw gen yet as it is rarely used. May find time after I finish the Trooper to do it.

This is probably something for another thread, but would you be willing to make another post going over your off the grid home? I would be very interested to know exactly what technologies you are using and it's capabilities.

countryboy18
09-07-2008, 06:17 PM
so Genchaos your saying that to make a small engine run on HHO is not easy to do because of the extra spark. do you have a cell design that uses 120v AC so i could use at least some HHO on the generator.

sm0kin
09-07-2008, 08:39 PM
how bout hho torch to power a sterling engine which powers a small generator. the sterling engines (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1515216760131877585&ei=RnTESKnBEaP0qALf3OS3BQ&q=The+Stirling+Engine&vt=lf&hl=en) can run up to 3000-4000 rpms.

countryboy18
09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
it sound complicated. i rather have a 2 stroke engine running on HHO that powers a generator. that a cool concept.

Genchaos
09-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Smokin,
I've actually been looking into stirling engines with the idea of running off of HHO. There are several stirling engine generators about to hit the market as well as stirling engine lawnmowers and weedeaters. See: http://www.whispergen.com/main/dcNorthAmerica/ and http://cyclonepower.com/cyclone_engine_uses.html. I think it would be much easier running a stirling off of HHO than converting an ICE to HHO.

Painless,
I actually see no thread that would be appropriate for a discussion of off grid living:)

Painless
09-08-2008, 10:56 AM
LOL! General Discussion it is then?

But seriously, as one who is struggling to pay bills / mortgage / gas prices etc these days, I am really interested in anything that would alleviate the financial pressure, even though an initial investment would be required.

RMForbes
09-08-2008, 11:59 AM
The problem with running a small engine on HHO is the waste spark that fires at the end of the exhaust stroke or the beginning of the intake stroke if the spark is retarded past TDC. The folks at Panacea University suggest using a GEET system instead. This system uses the exhaust heat to create steam which is ran through a manetic field to separate H2 from O2.

countryboy18
09-08-2008, 03:05 PM
how does that solve the problem of the extra spark. how can i run a small engine on HHO? just retard the timming?

Gary Diamond
01-26-2009, 01:04 PM
QUESTION, maybe this should be its own thread but here goes if i have X amount of HHO stored in a tank and i used this HHO gas to run a small engine that ran a load. And i also had the same amount of HHO gas running a Stirling engine to the same load which set up would give more work out to the same load?

Q-Hack!
01-26-2009, 02:21 PM
QUESTION, maybe this should be its own thread but here goes if i have X amount of HHO stored in a tank and i used this HHO gas to run a small engine that ran a load. And i also had the same amount of HHO gas running a Stirling engine to the same load which set up would give more work out to the same load?

Theoretically the Stirling engine is more efficient, however it really depends on the design of the two engines being compared. Usually most ICE's are high horsepower and low torque where a Stirling engine is high torque and low horsepower. One can design each engine to be fairly equal though. The Sterling engine does require a warm up period before it becomes useful and they don't change speeds easily, so they are generally best used for applications that require a long steady power requirements. eg. like a water pump for a farmers field.

Gary Diamond
01-26-2009, 03:41 PM
Theoretically the Stirling engine is more efficient, however it really depends on the design of the two engines being compared. Usually most ICE's are high horsepower and low torque where a Stirling engine is high torque and low horsepower. One can design each engine to be fairly equal though. The Sterling engine does require a warm up period before it becomes useful and they don't change speeds easily, so they are generally best used for applications that require a long steady power requirements. eg. like a water pump for a farmers field.

Thanks so it the same