PDA

View Full Version : Bottom Hole in Drycell Placement

BeaverRat
03-21-2010, 02:20 PM
I was thinking about this last night... If you don't have some sort of shim cell, just a normal drycell, wouldn't it work best (least amount of current leakage) if you made all the bottom holes lined up perfectly with some sort of insulator around them such as weldon #16 (suggested by HHOPWR)? Lots of people say to alternate the bottom holes, one on the far left, then the next plate has it's hole on the far right. Wouldn't alternating these holes make it easier for current leakage to occur because across from a hole would be a conductive spot on the plate, so current could easily flow throught the hole? It's not like the current would flow from one hole all the way across the cell to the other hole, it would just flow from the spot directly across the hole. It seams to me that if you had all the holes lined up and insulated with maybe a 1/4th inch border of insulator, then current would be less likely to flow throught the holes because there would not be a conductive spot across from all the holes, just another hole. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

rcflyn
03-22-2010, 04:43 PM
I think the idea is that with all the holes lined up, The power has a MORE Straight shot to shoot from the POS Plate to the NEG Plate, Possibly making it so the Voltage "SKIPS" your "N" or "Bi-Polar" plates rendering them useless. Or, if the Voltage don't "SKIP" the plates, it could at least Reduce the amount of voltage each "N" Plate is seeing. I think you've got the right concept, just thinking about it wrong....
By Using the Weld-On, AND Lining up the holes, I don't think that's going to reduce your Voltage Leakage The Straight shot is still there... BUT, Using the Weld-On, and Alternating the hole placement "MAY" lessen the leakage. I'm using the Weld-On and alternating the holes.
I read in a different post someone asking about flow issues by alternating the holes. All 3 of my Dry Cells have the alternating holes now, and I haven't had a flow issue yet. But I've also got my Gas Output Holes all lined up. The voltage isn't quit as important on top, beings the top part of the plate from the bottom of the hole up really isn't conducting MUCH, if anything in that area.

If I'm wrong here, someone with more experience will pipe up and correct me....

BeaverRat
03-22-2010, 05:22 PM
See, the thing I am confused about is that if you had all the holes lined up, then across a non conductive hole would be another non conductive hole. This to me seems as if it would be better than having a non conductive hole across from a conductive non hole. If you had them alternating, the current would flow streight through, perpendicular to the plates, but if all the holes were lined up, the current would have to jump at an angle (even bigger space if you insulated the holes with weldon) to make it throught the hole.

richard_lyew
03-24-2010, 10:08 AM
I think the idea is that with all the holes lined up, The power has a MORE Straight shot to shoot from the POS Plate to the NEG Plate, Possibly making it so the Voltage "SKIPS" your "N" or "Bi-Polar" plates rendering them useless. Or, if the Voltage don't "SKIP" the plates, it could at least Reduce the amount of voltage each "N" Plate is seeing. I think you've got the right concept, just thinking about it wrong....
By Using the Weld-On, AND Lining up the holes, I don't think that's going to reduce your Voltage Leakage The Straight shot is still there... BUT, Using the Weld-On, and Alternating the hole placement "MAY" lessen the leakage. I'm using the Weld-On and alternating the holes.
I read in a different post someone asking about flow issues by alternating the holes. All 3 of my Dry Cells have the alternating holes now, and I haven't had a flow issue yet. But I've also got my Gas Output Holes all lined up. The voltage isn't quit as important on top, beings the top part of the plate from the bottom of the hole up really isn't conducting MUCH, if anything in that area.

If I'm wrong here, someone with more experience will pipe up and correct me....

no don't line up the bottom holes because you will have a leak right next to a leak, you will have a leak leaking on a leak if you understand what im talking about, that is never good. i don't use generators with holds anymore but i wouldn't put a leak next to a leak. just my opinion

BeaverRat
03-24-2010, 04:38 PM
But it's only a leak because current from the place across the hole is flowing throught the hole. If you line them up, the place across the hole can't conduct either.

viper_1986_1986
03-27-2010, 01:15 AM
I asked a friend who does electronics; a recap of what he said was....

"
It doesn't matter how far apart the holes are, the current is going to go right through that water at great speeds. A 3" travel distance wont matter.
And adding a gasket in the 0 won't help, it is just one less spot HHO can produce on.
"

From my personal, on accident, test. It seemed run better with LARGER holes lined up, then staggered smaller holes.
This was done by doing 1/6" holes kinda to the left then right. Later on i just did nice 1/2" holes which basically made 1 large hole straightish through all the plates.

Also the other day i ran across a very low viewed youtube video, even though it looked very professional and easily seen. And the guy showed tests with 3 1/4" holes vs 2 1/4" holes. He had 1 in the middle and it had better output, not sure on MMW.
I can't seem to find that video now....

RustyLugNut
03-27-2010, 02:07 AM
[QUOTE=viper_1986_1986;38662]I asked a friend who does electronics; a recap of what he said was....

"
It doesn't matter how far apart the holes are, the current is going to go right through that water at great speeds. A 3" travel distance wont matter.
And adding a gasket in the 0 won't help, it is just one less spot HHO can produce on."

I have run tests of separate cells connected in series. The output dropped for the middle cells no matter the length of the connecting feed tubes for the electrolyte - inches or feet - the result was the pretty much the same. Super saturated electrolyte has a conductivity that is very low.

Maurice419
08-27-2011, 01:05 AM
I agree!

If you look at the plates the holes and the electrolyte as all resistive density, the only thing happening is the current at the holes will take the path of least resistance. And this does not matter where the holes are placed. Meaning that the electrons will head towards the the stainless steel plates edge around the holes.

Now as for flow of electrolyte, I can see where making a longer path would be good for creating some turbulence at the turns and helping the water move through the cell. This may act like as a pump would and be creating more movement of the electrolyte and may even help cooling.? This is just speculation, but it seems from what I have read here, by using a pump the amp go up slightly which must be due to fluid flow.

myoldyourgold
08-27-2011, 11:25 AM
If you look at the plates the holes and the electrolyte as all resistive density, the only thing happening is the current at the holes will take the path of least resistance. And this does not matter where the holes are placed. Meaning that the electrons will head towards the the stainless steel plates edge around the holes.

Now as for flow of electrolyte, I can see where making a longer path would be good for creating some turbulence at the turns and helping the water move through the cell. This may act like as a pump would and be creating more movement of the electrolyte and may even help cooling.? This is just speculation, but it seems from what I have read here, by using a pump the amp go up slightly which must be due to fluid flow.

Your explanation of plate design is a very simplistic. There is much more involved. Duel electrical connections on plates react different to single electrical connected plates. Very simple things like keeping the ports further away form the electrical source helps. Hole edges that are insulated with Weld-on and for off set input ports the spot opposite being insulated does make a difference. If you think that, “the only thing happening is the current at the holes will take the path of least resistance” you will be surprised at how much more is involved. Media blasting, port size, location, and shape all have a bearing either on flow, current leakage, and surface area, which in turn effect the temperature, gas production volume, and possibly even the quality of gas produced. There is much to be learned here for all of us. I think that we have just scratched the surface when it comes to plate design.