PDA

View Full Version : voltage??

Toomanytoys
03-05-2010, 03:33 PM
OK.. what do I need to do if I want to run a susytem on a 24v vehicle, or even use a second alternator running at 200v or similar..

add a lot more neutrals?? Surly that will require more amps..

Is there a sensible voltage level to wor to?

Sorry for the daft questions...

BeaverRat
03-05-2010, 08:46 PM
If you are running a 24 volt system, yes, you need more neutral plates to achive the optimum 2 volts per plate gap. I believe around 10, but I am not sure. I'm not sure what you mean by require more amps... require more amps for what? Amps are based on the electrolyte solution, plate gaps, voltage per plate gap, and resistance.

viper_1986_1986
03-05-2010, 09:38 PM
I am new at this myself.

But from tests with a 12v ATX PSU and a car battery, 14v.
You want AS MANY N plates as you can get to keep the volts at that magical 2.1v number. I guess it varies based on a few things but you want to keep it around 2.0-2.4 from what i read.
The closer, the less heat.
You WILL lose some bubbles but ALOT of amps. Which its all worth it in the tradeoff.

For 12v i need 4n plates, for 14v i need 5n.
So for 24v i would go with 8-10n plates.

BeaverRat
03-08-2010, 11:49 PM
As long as you are above 2 volts per plate gap you can usually get all you amps back by adding more electrolyte.

Toomanytoys
03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Cheers

Still learning this hho stuff.. :D

Does the voltage drop depend on how big the plates are or its just the + to N to - ratio..

The chap at work that has got me on this has bulit a unit that I am sure he said was configured as +NN-N-NN+ on the battery charger we did a test on it was drawing about 10 amps plate gap is about 1 mm and plate size is approx 150mm square...