PDA

View Full Version : New HHO User - Experiencing Problems

cessnasoarer172
02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
Greetings! I am new to this technology, but I am trying to learn the ropes. When I put this in, I installed a MAP sensor enhancer to manually lean out my mixture, like everyone else has. It worked at first, If I turned it too rich you could hear the bubbling roughness, and if you turned it to lean it would die. It seems thought that shortly after testing that, I can turn the enhancer all the way to lean without causing the engine to sputter at all, though it still sounds weird at rich. I put in one HHO cell and tested my MPG that night... and got 56 MPG... which was incredible. The next day however, after doing the same test, I only got 20 MPG, which is my usual, and then shortly after testing it, the cell melted on the inside, shortcircuited, and melted a whole bunch of stuff... which wasn't a great end to this trial.

Clearly I know this can work, I just need some advice and insight as to how to proceed.

lhazleton
02-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Welcome to the world of the insane:D
What kind of reactor are you using? If things melted, I'm guessing it's one of the 'wet cell' designs?
We're all here to help, but can't do it without information:
Type of reactor, electrolyte, car, engine, etc.. The more info you give, the more answers you'll get.
Lee

cessnasoarer172
02-27-2010, 05:47 PM
I'm using water and baking soda in a jar with 2 hoses (one goes to pcv valve (which i'm not sure is correct) the other goes into the air intake) I just put bigger wires on it, and hook it directly up to the battery. (It gets pretty warm but puts out a decent amount of HHO.

lhazleton
02-27-2010, 06:47 PM
OK, it's one of those 'Water for Gas' or similar deals, correct? How many amps is it drawing?
The wires shouldn't get hot. Does this have SS plates or is it wires wrapped around plexiglass or what? You say it puts out a decent amount of HHO. How much?
Really need to know lots more...........

cabrera
02-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm using water and baking soda in a jar with 2 hoses (one goes to pcv valve (which i'm not sure is correct) the other goes into the air intake) I just put bigger wires on it, and hook it directly up to the battery. (It gets pretty warm but puts out a decent amount of HHO.

There are much better designs than a wet cell but in the spirit of using what you have 1st then make upgrades. To begin with I assume you have a 30 amp inline fuse to the cell and a bubbler with at least check valves to protect from flashback? Dont use the pcv, have your gas go in to the intake as close to the throttle body as possible. Next get a PWM a pulse width modulator. You can buy a 30amp unit on ebay. In very simple terms a PMW is a dimmer switch for the cell. It allows you to control the voltage to the cell. This will prevent you from overheating & drawing to much amperage.

Going forward change the elyte to KOH
I would recommend a drycell i/o a wetcell
Get an EFIE electronic fuel injection enhancer
use relays instead of directly connecting to battery

lhazleton
02-27-2010, 11:28 PM
The things Andy mentioned are important. If you tell us your engine & other stuff, we can help. As far as HHO output goes, the standing rule of thumb is 1/2 litre per minute per engine displacement litre. For example, my Explorer has a 4.0L engine, so I need at least 2 litres per minute output from my reactor ( at 25 amps. or so) to make good gains.

cessnasoarer172
03-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Thank you for your information. I am not very sure how to test for output volume, it has pretty decent production, about 2 tsp of baking soda to a 600mL jar of water. It was drawing 9-11 amps when I tested it, and there is good vacuum going through it. I hooked it up instead to the air intake box and a vacuum line that ports into the engine. (if that line is removed, the idle will go up, so I feel this would be beneficial.)

I don't know how much HHO I am producing, but I am also interested to know why my map sensor enhancer won't let me lean out the engine too much. I'll turn it all the way to lean and it doesn't choke or sputter. This is just interesting because It had done that originally.

lhazleton
03-01-2010, 03:06 PM
The easiest way to check your output is simple. Fill a 1 litre bottle with water and put it upside-down in a 5 gal. bucket of water. Put the gas hose into the bottle and see how long it takes to fill.
Hooking it up to a vacuum port does nothing useful. Vacuum is only created when the engine is idling or during braking. When you accelerate is when you want the HHO.
As far as your Map enhancer goes, it either broke, a wire got disconnected, or you fried your Map sensor.