PDA

View Full Version : gasket material

linkintiger
02-18-2010, 05:37 PM
what was the name of the product you can buy in home depot that is perfect for making a gaskets for dry cell?

cabrera
02-18-2010, 06:05 PM
what was the name of the product you can buy in home depot that is perfect for making a gaskets for dry cell?

Go to the plumbing department. Get a few feet of the liner material that you put under shower pans. They have it in a 3 foot wide roll & they sell it by the foot. I used it in my cell. It works great it is called EPDM (ethylene propylene diene Monomer (M-class) rubber)
You can also find it as roofing material or pond liners

linkintiger
02-19-2010, 06:37 PM
i saw many dry cell designs with 3/8 hole on the top and the bottom ( intake and exhaust) of the cell what is the other the best hole placement?

how about 3/8 on the bottom and maybe like 3 x 1/4 inch on the top?

lhazleton
02-20-2010, 12:04 PM
For your E/lyte holes, you'll want to position them near the bottom, but on opposing sides per plate. For example, 4 O'clock on one, 8 O'clock on the next, and so on. This will help cut down on current leakage. The gas holes should be lined up near the top to allow the gas to escape quickly.

linkintiger
02-20-2010, 04:45 PM
ok i went to home depot that liner material in made of PVC is not a rubber and it's only 1/16 inch

cabrera
02-20-2010, 05:09 PM
ok i went to home depot that liner material in made of PVC is not a rubber and it's only 1/16 inch

If you build it right, 1/16" thick EPDM is all you will need.

http://mysite.verizon.net/res14fogq/HHO/0811090913.jpg

http://mysite.verizon.net/res14fogq/HHO/0811090913a.jpg

If you can't find it at Home Depot or Lowes, Graingers also sells EPDM http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/1MYB4

lhazleton
02-20-2010, 05:45 PM
You know Andy, you really suck.
Now I've got to go out to my garage and start cutting the new gaskets.
It's cold out there & I don't really feel like doing it.

cabrera
02-20-2010, 07:36 PM
You know Andy, you really suck.
Now I've got to go out to my garage and start cutting the new gaskets.
It's cold out there & I don't really feel like doing it.
http://www.hhoforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1480&stc=1&d=1266712415
Stop yer cryin' ya big pansy and git yerself out there and work!

I'm watching Braveheart, I can't help it!

lhazleton
02-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Ok, the 6x9 is back together & running. I absolutely LOVE the PVC sheet! It's so much easier to cut. The reactor is about an inch thinner, too. With the closer gaps, it's drawing more amps. I think I'll have to use my PWM with it. It looks like @3LPM, it'll be drawing at least 30 amps, and I really don't want to go that high.
Ya ever get the feeling that we kinda stole this thread???????????
Oh well, I'm sure Linkintiger won't mind.

cabrera
02-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Ok, the 6x9 is back together & running. I absolutely LOVE the PVC sheet! It's so much easier to cut. The reactor is about an inch thinner, too. With the closer gaps, it's drawing more amps. I think I'll have to use my PWM with it. It looks like @3LPM, it'll be drawing at least 30 amps, and I really don't want to go that high.

Oh you like? See Mongo know stuff!

Ya ever get the feeling that we kinda stole this thread???????????
Oh well, I'm sure Linkintiger won't mind.

I'm sure Linkintiger is taking this as a classroom experience. What he learns he can apply to his own cell. None of us started knowing everything, and we are all still learning...all except one guy who get 300mpg:eek:

linkintiger
02-20-2010, 09:01 PM
no i don't mind i really enjoy reading and learn it from it

it's just weird that your PVC liner is black not gray all my local stores has gray ones.

i use 1/8 red color rubber gasket from Ace hardware they sell by foot i cut it with a blade on the cutting board.

i just realize that hho cell is like building testing building again testing and building again till you get want you want ;)

lhazleton
02-20-2010, 09:02 PM
LOL..Ya just can't let it die.......

lhazleton
02-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Linkintiger,
You've got that right. Build it / tear it down / try something new / tear it down. It's constant. I don't think I've ever had a reactor in my truck for more that a month before I decide to try something else.
Andy, It's been sitting in the garage not running for about an hour now, and no sign of a leak. If it stays leak-free overnight, I just might allow you back in my good graces and stop bustin' your balls. YEAH, RIGHT!!!!!!!!