PDA

View Full Version : baking soda warning

linkintiger
02-14-2010, 05:49 PM
I saw there a couple post about not using baking soda in HHO generator because except HHO it creates dangerous toxic gas but except this forum i couldn't find any information what gas is created and why is dangerous.

lhazleton
02-14-2010, 06:52 PM
I may be mistaken, but chlorine may be a byproduct. You don't want to use it anyway. It leaves a residue. The only ones that use it are the folks that make the old 'Mason Jar with wire' garbage.

linkintiger
02-14-2010, 06:59 PM
i was wonder because KOH seems to be more dangerous with skin contact

lhazleton
02-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Yeah, it burns like hell & doesn't wash off well. I've had plenty of times where I could barely use my fingers for a few days. But, it's the best there is (IMO) for e/lyte. Also, with a 28% solution, it will never freeze or get slushy.

Danger
02-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Chlorine is NOT a byproduct of baking soda. There is a lot of this misinformation floating around. Baking soda is NaHCO3. There are no chlorine molecules there. It is true that baking soda does release CO (carbon monoxide) and CO2 (carbon dioxide), but it only does so when your electrolyte water reaches 60C and above (60C is the melting point of baking soda).

A more "safe" electrolyte to use is sodium carbonate (washing soda). It too will produce carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide, but when heated above its melting point of 851C. Your HHO electrolyzer is simply not capable of producing those temperatures, so it won't degrade.

Both baking soda and washing soda produce CO and CO2 when they come in contact with an alkaline solution like vinegar (they turn pH neutral and release those gasses in the process).

linkintiger
02-17-2010, 06:36 PM
yup that's what i thought because there is a lot of recipes with baking soda to make sparkling lemonade but i wasn't sure if during hho process is changing to something else thx for the info.

linkintiger
02-17-2010, 06:40 PM
in other hand i might be wrong with these theory but if baking soda produce C02 it might be a good method to trick the 02 sensors in the car which catch excessive amount on oxygen in the hho mix right?

Danger
02-17-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm not quite sure about using CO2 to trick the O2 sensor in the car. Someone with lots more automotive experience should comment on that.

Sometimes baking soda is used in recipes to make whatever it is that you're making rise. A similar result can be achieved by using yeast in recipes too. Yeast eat sugar and release CO2 making the dough rise.