PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on this setup for a newbie

oooohyeah
02-12-2010, 06:00 AM
I want to put my first cell in a 75 chevy van with a 5.7L 350 v8(carb, no computer,63 amp alternator) I don't want to build my own and track down all the parts. I have way too many projects going on right now! Thought I could take this setup and build the cell
-NNNNN+NNNNN-NNNNN+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Full-Kit-Hydrogen-Generator-HHO-21-Plate-6x6-Dry-Ce_W0QQitemZ120529016473QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_ Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item1c1016d699#ht _8529wt_982

If the link doesn't work. I'm looking at a 6x6 21 plate dry cell (planning on making it 19 plate) with all the basics for hookup for $250 on Ebay sold by sequoia_bridge. anyone see anything they don't like about this guy's setup? Think the 19 plate setup would draw too many amps? Think I would need a PWM (this van will make some long road trips)? I've read tons of info in these forums, but any advice at all would be greatly appreciated, as I am totally new to this

lhazleton
02-12-2010, 11:52 AM
This looks like a nice unit. The price is extremely cheap though. If you notice, the starting bid is $250. That doesn't mean he will sell it for that since there is no 'buy it now' price. 10 to one the bid is way below reserve price, but you can give it a try. For a 5.7L, you'll need at least 2.5LPM for any real improvement and a 63 amp alternator won't cut it.

oooohyeah
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
I don't expect to get it for $250, but the tiny chance that I could is why I'm watching it;) I thought I would need something closer to 3lpm, but thought this might be a place to start.

I'd love some feedback on the 19 plate setup. From what I've read this seems like the most efficient way to do it, but none of the expensive kits I see online seem do it like this(most seem like they would burn hot and pull a lot of amps) am I missing something?

According to my very fuzzy math, seems like two 6x6 19 plate generators with around 20amps to each (from a high output alternator) would get me to at least 2.5 LPM but I could be way off.... This would enable me to add on down the road and not throw down more $ than the van is worth all at one time;) But maybe there is a better route to go? I'd love any input at all

rcflyn
02-13-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't expect to get it for $250, but the tiny chance that I could is why I'm watching it;)

He'll let it go for $250. He don't have a reserve on it.
There's a couple things I don't care for about it, but that's neither here nor there...
But, if you think you like it, bid on it. Look at that guys feedback, and look at other items he's sold. MOST of the stuff he's sold has only had 1 bid on them.

lhazleton
02-13-2010, 12:36 PM
My newest reactor is 6x9, 14 cell, 2 stacks. It puts out one litre in 22 seconds at 25 amps.
If you go to http://www.hhounderground.com , you can see it in action. Go to 'active topics', Lee's reactor, page 8.

cabrera
02-13-2010, 02:23 PM
There's a couple things I don't care for about it, but that's neither here nor there...

The one thing I didn't like is the bolts are through the gaskets between the plates. I would expect a leak there eventually so keep that in mind that you may eventually need to replace the gaskets. I would use 1/16" thick EPDM gaskets. Not automotive gaskets. Just make them a bit wider.

lhazleton
02-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Hey Andy,
It's funny you mentioned that. I think that you, me & Brian are about the only ones that have our bolts outside the plate area. Must be 'cuz we're 'special'.

cabrera
02-13-2010, 02:40 PM
Must be 'cuz we're 'special'.

Yeah We're Special

http://www.mepreport.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/carlos-mencia-1-243x300.jpg

Dee Dee Dee <lol>

lhazleton
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
Where'd you get that picture of Helz???????

oooohyeah
02-13-2010, 11:42 PM
My newest reactor is 6x9, 14 cell, 2 stacks. It puts out one litre in 22 seconds at 25 amps.
If you go to http://www.hhounderground.com , you can see it in action. Go to 'active topics', Lee's reactor, page 8.

I Like the look of that!! I think I'm about to get a bad habit.....tinkering around with HHO. There are just too many options out there and I've read so much info, much of it conflicting, I just want to experiment. and what a good reason not to sell the 4.2L straight six carbourated car i said I would sell when I bought the gas guzzling van:)

lhazleton
02-14-2010, 03:18 PM
I Like the look of that!! I think I'm about to get a bad habit.....tinkering around with HHO. There are just too many options out there and I've read so much info, much of it conflicting, I just want to experiment. and what a good reason not to sell the 4.2L straight six carbourated car i said I would sell when I bought the gas guzzling van:)

HHO experimentation is not a 'bad habit'. It's more of a 'time consuming expensive addiction'.:D

rcflyn
02-14-2010, 03:30 PM
HHO experimentation is not a 'bad habit'. It's more of a 'time consuming expensive addiction'.:D

HHHHAAAA, try convincing the little LADY it isn't a BAD HABIT.... But she DID say she's glad to see me interested in something so enthustically (outside SKYDIVING).
And Boy, does it EVER get Expensive. and FAST...
But hey, it's FUN, right... I just wish I could find MORE time to invest in it (let alone MORE $$$)

oooohyeah
02-15-2010, 01:09 PM
One thing you might want to look at closely is how big the holes are in the cell. Votage leakage is a key element, and bolts through the gasket will contibute to leaks. I've been testing one with this configuration on a 2009 F150 on this truck the result are 35% increase, just installed one on a Turbo Deisel F250 yesterday, from the initial test run of 68 miles it yield 17.6 mpg. The owner claims it only gets 14mpg tops. Will see what it puts out on his regular driving, which is mostly mix. driving.
The one thing I found I am still on the fence, is the solution mixture. It needs to be very light, the mixture I used on this configuration -NNNNN+ will not work on that cell. That cell is three of them put together. It will consumed amps as high as 38 amps even at 45 degree.

This is the info I was hoping for. 38amps!!!! I thought it would draw somewhere around 20....thats definitely a bit much for the old alternator. I'm a bit confused about your solution though. Did you start with a high solution, like 28% and find that it needs a weak one to keep the amps down? Thanks so much for your feedback

lhazleton
02-15-2010, 05:14 PM
You can control amperage draw with a PWM. With this, you just dial in the amount you want to draw. With my newest reactor, I'm getting just under 3LPM at 25 amps, so I'm just using brute force for now.