PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bubbler / Scrubber

01-14-2010, 12:52 AM
I understand that some people use a bubbler, with a aquarium stone, in an effort to remove steam and KOH vapor.

My question is: Can the bubbler have 28% KOH solution in it and still do the same job?

Regardless of the fact that the liquid has KOH, it will still capture water vapor just the same, correct?

p

01-14-2010, 11:43 AM
My question is: why would you 28% KOH in the bubbler? I may be in the dark here but the purpose of the "bubbler" is: one to act a flame arrestor. two act a as you mentioned a crubber, but in order to do that it was suggested to use white distilled vinegar which makes sense the way it defuses acidict chemical. It's been used by the Navy for years with their thermal run away situation with aircraft battery. I for one have used it on the aircraft situation I've encountered.

If you are worried about freezing by adding the KOH, mix in alcohol. I would think adding 28%KOH to a bubbler will not yield you any gain. My 2cents.

My first bubbler is integrated into the actual electrolyser. I will have a second external bubbler, but I wanted to get rid of the steam, and majority of the hydroxy vapor, before it left the electrolyser.

I am trying to be more compact and would like to keep one bubbler outside the cell.