PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Nickel

01-06-2010, 02:36 PM
So I have done the initial tests, as seen in the other post.

My two cell unit, run at optimal power (4v /18a) gets .5 LPM. That's about 144 watts per liter.

Now I need to get to 3 LPM, so the idea is that I will expand the size of the generator by 6.

This gets me into size issues, as my design requires me to stay at two cells.

So this is my question:

My original cell was was stainless and now I plan to use Nickel. If I move to nickel, can I decrease the size at all?

Roland Jacques
01-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Based on Larrys short term testing it seems safe to say with textured nickel 200 could handle 1 watt per 1 sq inch ( maybe even higher)

01-07-2010, 03:55 PM
Based on Larrys short term testing it seems safe to say with textured nickel 200 could handle 1 watt per 1 sq inch ( maybe even higher)

Yea, but I am putting .5 watt per square in into my two cell circulating set up and getting an MMO of 6.95. Can the nickel hold that efficiency at 1 watt?

The problem I have is no one else is doing forced circulation, so I don't know how that is effecting heating and production.

Roland Jacques
01-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Forced/pumping has been done by many folks. It can have an good application. Example if your cell is higher than the reservoir... But for most properly designed and installed systems there's no need.

If you are pushing .5 watts /sq" with SS you may be over driving it (creating extra heat, steam...)

H2OPWR
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Forced/pumping has been done by many folks. It can have an good application. Example if your cell is higher than the reservoir... But for most properly designed and installed systems there's no need.

If you are pushing .5 watts /sq" with SS you may be over driving it (creating extra heat, steam...)

Roland, I beleive he is using the same Nano Particle coating that I was on the stainless cathodes. If he is using that then it will take much higher current densities than plain stainless. With my experience with nano coated plates I was able to effeciently use way more than .5 watts per sq inch. The problem he and everyone else that tries it will run into is heat and the materials used for the build. While the plates will handle it easily the enclosure and gaskets must be made from something that will operate at 180 degrees plus. The steam is easy to get rid of. With my Nickel cell I have pushed it way over 200 degrees and still produced dry 70 degree gas.

Larry

01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
yes, I am using the nickel / iron nano coating on the cathodes.

With the small cell, in the video, I was able to get 6.94 MMW at 1 watt per square inch.

I was able to overdrive the cell to 3.54 watts per inch and still get 5.8 MMW, maybe a little less. At that, there was just a slight wisp of steam.

What you have to understand is that my cell circulates differently. My sump is built in and the liquid is pushed in one direction. This allows the bubbles to be completely displaced and much more heat to be removed.

My cell never got very hot, even during overdrive.

Per your question on the other thread, I am using thicker nickel plates, because I am going to nano coat them and they warp at thicknesses less than 16 gauge.