PDA

View Full Version : A differenct cell design idea - criticism welcome

BoyntonStu
07-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Use 2" Diameter tubing 24" in length. The plates will be 1-1/2" x 20" long. (30 sq. in.)
(Everyone says that plates should be short top to bottom)

For contact and for support, tabs out the bottom and bent 90 degrees.
SS screws and seal washers through the bottom of the tube.

Now, here's a possibility; A T on each end of the tube.
A short clear hose connected to a SS tube with cooling fins attached locate below the main
cell tube.

Gas out of one T, blowout on the other T.

The cooling tube may be any length that will fit the vehicle.

No pump, just the thermal siphon effect

This idea is 90* from convention but I can see some real advantages.

It takes advantage of length to grow the plate area.

Also, taking the contacts out the bottom, shortens the connecting straps to almost zero and at the same time give support to the plates.

BTW the 2" tubing was chosen as the cheapest and easiest to find room for.

Suggestions?

Boyntonstu

Stratous
07-27-2008, 10:09 PM
It sounds good, only thing I see is not enough free air space between the top of elctrolyte and gas exit tube. Possibly have the electrolyte slosh around and have some of it sucked into bubbler or flash arrestor. I have also noticed that a cell produces better if the long side of the plates are horizontal.

BoyntonStu
07-27-2008, 10:25 PM
It sounds good, only thing I see is not enough free air space between the top of elctrolyte and gas exit tube. Possibly have the electrolyte slosh around and have some of it sucked into bubbler or flash arrestor. I have also noticed that a cell produces better if the long side of the plates are horizontal.

I agree with you on both issues.

As for the top space, it may be an issue.

OTOH if I built a rectangular box out of plywood the problem would be solved.

Imagine a rectangular box whose interior would be 2" width and 4" high by 15" in length.

The plates could be 2" x 2" x 15" and there would be a 2" space at the top.

That would be 60 sq inches and should pass 30 Amps at .5 amp/sq-in and keep it cool.

(The cooling tube could be used in this design as well should it be necessary to push more current through)

BoyntonStu

cougar gt-e
07-27-2008, 10:37 PM
When I was at the sheet metal shop the other day, they were making stuff. They have a spot welder and roller they used to roll sheet stock into a tube and then spot weld it together. It looked fast and should be cheap. They made tubes at about the same rate as shearing plates of 20ga.

I was thinking. (Dangerous, I know) If you get 1" PVC tube and have them make SS tubes that fit tightly inside the PVC then run a SS thread rod down the center. Have 6 of them made and wire up in series. The center rod would be the "O2" side. The tubes could be fairly long and pretty easily mounted. A 10" tall 1" diameter SS tube would have over 15 in sq of surface area. 6 of them would have over 90 sq in.

Packer Fan