PDA

View Full Version : Still worth reading !!!

Roland Jacques
11-26-2009, 09:14 AM
A Repost in case some have missed this one.

From: water4gas@yahoogroups.com on behalf of djmikewalsh@aol.com
Sent: Fri 2/13/09 5:40 PM
To: Water4Gas@yahoogroups.com

OBDII systems were specifically designed first and foremost to regulate the emissions of our vehicles and to create a set standard by which all manufacturers could meet compliance for those modern emissions requirements, governed by the EPA. Most people don't realize that the most common factory set air to fuel ratio on our vehicles, 14.7:1, is set as a compromise between performance, economy, and emissions. The primary reason it is set there is for emissions purposes. It's to have enough left over fuel/hydrocarbons exiting the exhaust to heat the catalytic converter, as the cat cannot do it's job at breaking down hydrocarbons through catalysis unless it's up to its full operating temperature range, which happens to be between 600 and 1500 degrees F. So the whole modern combustion process is a catch-22. Even a modern internal combustion engine already has a limited efficiency by design before worrying about emissions, but because we need to limit emissions we waste even more fuel and operate at even lower efficiency by throwing more accelerant (unburned fuel) on the catalytic convertor to keep it hot. It's obvious that if you can stop the catch 22 and burn all the fuel in the engine without sending it out to the cat there's plenty of mileage to be gained there.

When any working fuel economy device is used it immediately begins to alter the content in the exhaust. A true increase in combustion efficiency will produce less emissions there. ( For any doubts about whether hydroxy or even less potent pure hydrogen gas has the ability to alter combustion efficiency consult the web published research of NASA, MIT, and the US D.O.T. ) Less emissions are immediately detected by the O2/AFR sensors if the reduction is dramatic enough. Since the ECU is programmed to maintain the temperature of the catalytic convertor and see the amount of oxygen relevant to the 14.7:1 AFR, the ECU will not allow alterations in economy. It will counter them by increasing the fuel injection rate so that the cat temps are maintained and the oxygen levels detected are nominal for 14.7:1. This is why injecting hydroxy while doing nothing else usually produces a negative effect on mileage. In a vicious circle the hydroxy improves the burn, the hydrocarbons are reduced, it's detected in the exhaust by the o2 sensors, and more fuel is added until the sensor parameters return to normal.

Hydroxy experimenters counter this by using an EFIE (Electronic Fuel Injection Enhancer). Dutchman uses their Optimizer3x. Basically what the devices do is make up for the loss of hydrocarbons in the exhaust electronically. A typical o2 sensor has an operating range of .1-1.2volts. .1 volts would be interpreted as lean and 1.2 volts would be rich. .5 volts represents the targeted 14.7:1 AFR. As the hydrocarbons go down in the exhaust the average voltage of the o2 sensor to the ECU also follows. An EFIE or Optimizer3x will add voltage to the o2 sensor to bring the average back up to around .5v and take away the ECU's ability to detect a difference in exhaust, however that is far from the end of the battle with the ECU. Most OBDII vehicles use downstream sensors, that is, o2 sensors located on the exhaust pipe after the catalytic converter, to monitor catalytic converter temps as well as hydrocarbon emissions.

So lets say you're running hydroxy, combustion efficiency is increased, the exhausted hydrocarbons go down, and you've successfully returned the o2 sensor's readings to average .5 volts with an EFIE. Without those hydrocarbons heating up the catalytic convertor to operating temperature another alarm goes off in the ECU because cat temps have dropped dramatically, and fuel is once again added to balance the equation. Can you begin to see how difficult this is to get working? Not to mention that EFIE design leaves much to be desired, because it's impossible to set one voltage offset for added voltage and have it be correct in all environmental variables and driving conditions. The only correct way to do this would be to use the incoming o2 sensor signal and other ECU parameters such as ambient temp, or ambient MAP pressure as a reference to determine the proper voltage offset to equal a simulated 14.7:1 for the ECU all the time. Unfortunately I don't know of anyone that has invented such a device.

What I've written here is just the tip of the iceberg of what experimenters are trying to do with our modifications. There's much more. With the increase in flame propagation speed within the combustion chamber provided by added hydroxy, the stock ignition timing is not optimal for both performance and for emissions. There's greater mileage, performance, and a reduction of emissions to be gained by retarding the ignition timing to optimize the combustion further. In the old days you could alter this with just a turn of the distributor cap and a timing light, but these days on most cars the ECU automatically determines engine timing, mostly based on the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor. To deal with this we add resistance in parallel with the sensor and alter voltages to the ECU. Higher perceived temps for the ECU will retard timing, and that is what is simulated, but the IAT temp can't be the only one that's seen high or the ECU will not accept it, and a check engine light will illuminate. If the coolant temp also appears higher the ECU will comply with the changing of the timing without hesitation, so the same parallel resistance technique is applied to the CTS sensor. Just how much you change these temperature readings to the ECU is uncertain. The optimal temp readings are based on the individual vehicle, the hydroxy system efficiency and amount, and countless other parameters. Tuning them is more like a black art than an exact science, but it is done similarly in all cars until the "sweet spots" are found. By this point it should be easy to understand the difficulty encountered here.

Last but not least, when you get the timing set right and your combustion is optimized you can safely reduce even more fuel and get even more than a typical 5-20% increase in mileage. Many people also don't realize that excess fuel is injected into an engine for other reasons, such as cooling the engine from the inside out and to prevent pooling, or lack of flamespread within the combustion chamber. If not enough fuel is sprayed on an intake stroke the combustion of the fuel that is added will result in parasitic losses within the engine stripping the away most of the useful power created by the stroke. The parasitic losses occur because the flame was not able to fully propagate across the air/fuel mixture and therefore not fully combust the fuel. By adding the hydroxy and making ignition improvements the leaner AFR will now burn effectively with low parasitic loss, better emissions, and plenty of power. Also, as long as the AFR is reasonably but not too intensely lean, the resulting water vapors from the hydroxy will cool the engine in place of the fuel that will be taken away. The trick is now getting the ECU to comply with a leaner AFR and keep it there. ECU's are programmed against maintaining a leaner AFR for all the reasons I brought up earlier in this writing regarding emissions, cat temps, and engine head temperature. Even if you successfully fool every sensor layer into producing this slightly leaner, hydroxy optimized AFR, there's been little success in overriding the ECU's protections for those parameters over an extended period of time. Thus, the MPG mirage! But don't give up!

-Mike
orginal post http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=2465&highlight=mixture

RustyLugNut
11-26-2009, 11:49 AM
This re-post brings up several interesting points and fallacies.

Without trying to sound pompous or patronizing, and yet with no other way to broach the subject, I have to ask, what is the background of the writer?

OBD2 is nothing more than a standard protocol to access the workings of an automobile's computer systems. The number one task is to make sure the emission systems are working as designed. How the auto's system achieves that is left up to the manufacturer, and is part of the complexity of modern drive-trains. OBD2 required manufacturers to provide a streamlined combination of hardware and software to allow wider access to the service field minimizing the ability of a dealer to hold an owner hostage to repairs and to allow easier government over site.

The fallacy that this post perpetuates is that the addition of HHO changes the fuel balance. This is different than saying "HHO changes the combustion efficiency". No matter the combustion efficiency, the fuel mix is still the same as long as no unaccounted fuels are added. The addition of HHO can be discounted by an O2 sensor because it is a stoichemetric (balanced) mix with every pair of hydrogen molecules paired up with an oxygen molecule.

I will address only narrow band O2 sensors as they are common in many small to medium vehicles. By the name, narrow band sensors operate in a central voltage of roughly .5V , give or take, with a very steep reaction curve. They are used as stepwise "one or the other" indicator switches to tell the ecu the condition of the exhaust makeup via the presence or absence of oxygen. This works in accordance with modern TWC (three way catalytic) converters which need an alternating mix of rich and lean exhaust gasses to function to their designed conversion levels. Our tests using a digital duty cycle meter backed by a digital oscilloscope show NO CHANGE in injector duration with the addition of HHO at idle and off idle (1200 rpm) on several OBD1 and an early OBD2 vehicle. If someone else has data to back up the post's claim of "oxygen in the exhaust from the addition of HHO", please pipe up and let us know. We haven't found any indications of such.

By using a voltage offset circuit (EFIE as some call it), the ecu can and will lean the fuel mixture just as long as the circuit allows the voltage to cross the .5V threshold, otherwise it will throw an error code (OBD2 - most OBD1 don't care).

Hacking complex systems without good understanding and then publishing the results as "gospel" is poor engineering science. Using this "gospel" to sell product is really very "scammy".

Quoting research papers by MIT and DOE and not validating the connection to your situation is also poor practice. Those papers used H2 addition in the several percent range and above (by volume). With our electrolysis cells, we are adding only a few percent of a percent. You can't extrapolate those researchers findings to yours. You need new research.

Please forgive my "rant". Good science can result in good research with good solid products that work. Peer review to public product review - you won't be able to hide. Most HHO manufacturers I have spoken with face to face, are doing just that, hiding something. Usually that "something" is their lack of understanding.

Peace out,
Rusty

Roland Jacques
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
Rusty,
I'm justmaking sure i understand you. Are you saying that HHO has/had NO effect on the O2 sensors when you were testing it?

Helz_McFugly
11-28-2009, 05:43 PM
thanks for bringing this back up and showing how difficult it is to trick these smart ass cars. it almost makes me want to rip out my computer and motor and build it back to 1980 standards. :p
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg17/azswede1960/100_0967.jpg

RustyLugNut
11-28-2009, 06:05 PM
The addition of small quantities of HHO did not change the reaction of the ecu thus the assumption that the O2 sensor does not read O2 changes in the exhaust.

This is the results of our tests, using our equipment on a series of 3, 4, 6 and 8 cylinder engines ranging from OBD1 to early OBD2 equipped vehicles.

Using an aftermarket wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust of a single cylinder (330 cc) generator engine gave no changes to the exhaust balance (O2) with the addition of small to relatively large quantities of HHO, even though the speed of the engine increased with the larger HHO quantities. The fuel mix didn't change and so the AFR indicated by the Wideband O2 sensor did not change within the resolution of the sensor.

Roland Jacques
11-29-2009, 08:55 AM
I must say I've never tested the O2 sensor reaction for myself. I have repeated this "gospel" on more than one occasion. I dont know the details of your testing so I must say I still lean in the direction that HHO boosting does alter the O2 readings just based on a lot of things Ive read. I will be checking my O2 reading in the future to see who is correct, Thanks Rusty.

I'll try to bump up or link Larry's testing & result with boosting on his truck in Alaska. His truck is a wide band sensors type, and i think he boosted about 4-5 LPM of HHO. That amount of HHO is a common ratio of 1 to 1 Liter displacement to LPM used by many folks. His ratio of HHO did have profound effects with his truck's performance especially at idle.

Linky Linky http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3117&page=16

H2OPWR
11-29-2009, 12:32 PM
I must say I've never tested the O2 sensor reaction for myself. I have repeated this "gospel" on more than one occasion. I dont know the details of your testing so I must say I still lean in the direction that HHO boosting does alter the O2 readings just based on a lot of things Ive read. I will be checking my O2 reading in the future to see who is correct, Thanks Rusty.

I'll try to bump up or link Larry's testing & result with boosting on his truck in Alaska. His truck is a wide band sensors type, and i think he boosted about 4-5 LPM of HHO. That amount of HHO is a common ratio of 1 to 1 Liter displacement to LPM used by many folks. His ratio of HHO did have profound effects with his truck's performance especially at idle.

Linky Linky http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3117&page=16

Yes Roland, The HHO made the truck almost undrivable at Idle. The A/F sensor was adding more fuel and then the drive by wire throttle was opening up to compinsate. It would idle at 25 MPH. I wore the brakes almost out trying to slow it down.

Larry

abovetec
11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
A Repost in case some have missed this one.

What I've written here is just the tip of the iceberg of what experimenters are trying to do with our modifications. There's much more. With the increase in flame propagation speed within the combustion chamber provided by added hydroxy, the stock ignition timing is not optimal for both performance and for emissions. There's greater mileage, performance, and a reduction of emissions to be gained by retarding the ignition timing to optimize the combustion further. In the old days you could alter this with just a turn of the distributor cap and a timing light, but these days on most cars the ECU automatically determines engine timing, mostly based on the IAT (Intake Air Temp) sensor. To deal with this we add resistance in parallel with the sensor and alter voltages to the ECU. Higher perceived temps for the ECU will retard timing, and that is what is simulated, but the IAT temp can't be the only one that's seen high or the ECU will not accept it, and a check engine light will illuminate. If the coolant temp also appears higher the ECU will comply with the changing of the timing without hesitation, so the same parallel resistance technique is applied to the CTS sensor. Just how much you change these temperature readings to the ECU is uncertain. The optimal temp readings are based on the individual vehicle, the hydroxy system efficiency and amount, and countless other parameters. Tuning them is more like a black art than an exact science, but it is done similarly in all cars until the "sweet spots" are found. By this point it should be easy to understand the difficulty encountered here.

Last but not least, when you get the timing set right and your combustion is optimized you can safely reduce even more fuel and get even more than a typical 5-20% increase in mileage. Many people also don't realize that excess fuel is injected into an engine for other reasons, such as cooling the engine from the inside out and to prevent pooling, or lack of flamespread within the combustion chamber. If not enough fuel is sprayed on an intake stroke the combustion of the fuel that is added will result in parasitic losses within the engine stripping the away most of the useful power created by the stroke. The parasitic losses occur because the flame was not able to fully propagate across the air/fuel mixture and therefore not fully combust the fuel. By adding the hydroxy and making ignition improvements the leaner AFR will now burn effectively with low parasitic loss, better emissions, and plenty of power. Also, as long as the AFR is reasonably but not too intensely lean, the resulting water vapors from the hydroxy will cool the engine in place of the fuel that will be taken away. The trick is now getting the ECU to comply with a leaner AFR and keep it there. ECU's are programmed against maintaining a leaner AFR for all the reasons I brought up earlier in this writing regarding emissions, cat temps, and engine head temperature. Even if you successfully fool every sensor layer into producing this slightly leaner, hydroxy optimized AFR, there's been little success in overriding the ECU's protections for those parameters over an extended period of time. Thus, the MPG mirage! But don't give up!

-Mike
orginal post http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=2465&highlight=mixture

I have done a bit of similar discussion and research when I discussed NASA's 1977 test results for hydrogen injection. I noticed that this post by Mike discusses the need to retard timing, which is an electronic steeplechase in modern vehicles, especially compared to how easy NASA could do it on their Cadillac engine when they tested it with bottled hydrogen.

I would disagree as to the IAT being the dominant determinate for the ignition timing. On the contrary, the major factors are the knock sensors, rpm, the amount of fuel being injected per unit time, the TPS, the oxygen sensors, and one of the major components: the MAF if used or the MAP if not.

You can see my discussion and/or the full text of the NASA research paper on my website. My discussion stands alone as one of the few scientific analyses of the scientific research, and it comes to some similar conclusions reported by the illustrious Mr. Lugnut.

[aside] You know, Rusty, if you want a good picture for your forum avatar, I was just looking at some rusty lugnuts yesterday on a trailer of mine. I couldn't get them off with the tools I had at hand. :)
http://www.hhokitstore.com/a3/How.Hydrogen.Helps/article_info.html

RustyLugNut
11-29-2009, 10:00 PM
. . . and I lost it in the ether of a wireless connection. Phooey!

Simply stated, if we agree to use the scientific discipline of postulation and verification then we have a basis to have a fruitful conversation. IF you decide otherwise, all we will get is a "he said she said" argument.

My conclusive statement is "the addition of HHO to a spark ignited gasoline engine does not change the O2 balance in the exhaust - all else being equal". I have done the experiments on a single cylinder generator engine with a carburetor and an induction ignition system with the ability to change timing. An INOVATE Motorsports wideband O2 sensor with a resolution of 0.1 A/F was used. The exhaust O2 readings did not change with increasing amounts of HHO added to the intake. However, RPM did increase with the increasing amounts of HHO. Since the only variable was the addition of HHO, I conclude my above statement is correct.

If you are going to use a late model ecu equipped vehicle, understand you will have a bunch of variables to control or else your readings will be in doubt.

Good luck,
RustyLugNut

RustyLugNut
11-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Are you intimate with the NASA research paper quoted above?

It has been a long time since I slept through classes in combustion theory.

I will reread the NASA Paper ( I had a hard copy I used in my undergrad studies 30 years ago - now long lost). If you don't mind, I will jot down my impressions and post them. I will include your discussions and conclusions from your web site - if I may. This may take some time as I have a heavy work schedule the next month.

Keep up the good work,
RustyLugNut

Roland Jacques
12-01-2009, 08:38 AM
. . . and I lost it in the ether of a wireless connection. Phooey!

Simply stated, if we agree to use the scientific discipline of postulation and verification then we have a basis to have a fruitful conversation. IF you decide otherwise, all we will get is a "he said she said" argument.

Well i guess subject closed.
I Have to say what i refer you to was NOT "he said, she said" I showed you a history of results form tests performed by one of OUR most reputable members on this forum. And he even confirmed it himself. So...

My conclusive statement is "the addition of HHO to a spark ignited gasoline engine does not change the O2 balance in the exhaust - all else being equal". I have done the experiments on a single cylinder generator engine with a carburetor and an induction ignition system with the ability to change timing. An INOVATE Motorsports wideband O2 sensor with a resolution of 0.1 A/F was used. The exhaust O2 readings did not change with increasing amounts of HHO added to the intake. However, RPM did increase with the increasing amounts of HHO. Since the only variable was the addition of HHO, I conclude my above statement is correct.

If you are going to use a late model ecu equipped vehicle, understand you will have a bunch of variables to control or else your readings will be in doubt.

Good luck,
RustyLugNut

Rusty, you seem like a straight shooter and very knowledgeable. But as you can see by a lot of posts, that folks do conclude things that are not necessarily correct. Forgive me for questioning your testing methods but i think in this case it should be done. You are saying something that goes against the "norm" and you just expect us to take your word for it? You may be 100% right, but give us a little more to chew on if you can. I wont be able to test it myself for a month or two.
Do you have any details on your testing? How much HHO where you providing to you different size ICE's?

Helz_McFugly
12-01-2009, 10:44 AM
someone is selling over priced inefficient electrolyzers. WAAAAAAY over priced. I hope those plates are at least Nickel 200 or some kind of MMO plated plates and not just 316L SS. This is one of those sites for people with to much green and not enough grey matter. :p
# of Plates Thickness Base Price Max Amp Draw LPM Output Engine Size Features Application
11 2.1" (55 mm) $899 25^ 1.5 0-4 Liter Fuse/Relay Small Car (Base)
13 2.3" (60 mm) $959 25^ 1.7 1-5 Liter Fuse/Relay Midsize Car (add $60)
16 2.6" (66 mm) $1049 30^ 2.0 3-6 Liter Fuse/Relay Large Car (+$150)
21 3.1" (80 mm) $1199 40^ 3.0 4-8 Liter Fuse/Relay Muscle Car/Truck (+$300)
25 3.5" (90 mm) $1299 45^ 3.5 5-10 Liter Fuse/Relay Light Duty Truck (+$400)
31 4.1" (105 mm) $1499 55^ 5.0 6-11 Liter Breaker/Solenoid Medium Duty Truck
41 5.1" (130 mm) $1849 70^ 6.0 7-12 Liter Breaker/Solenoid Medium Duty Truck
21 Twin* 3.1" (80 mm) x 2 $2349 80^ 6.0 7-12 Liter Fuse/Relay Medium Duty Truck
51 6.1" (155 mm) $2149 90^ 8.0 8-14 Liter Breaker/Solenoid Heavy Duty/Semi Truck
31 Twin* 4.1" (105 mm) x2 $2849 110^ 10.0 9-16 Liter Breaker/Solenoid Heavy Duty/Semi Truck
41 Twin* 5.1" (130 mm) x2 $3599 140^ 12.0 10-20 Liter Breaker/Solenoid Heavy Machinery

RustyLugNut
12-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Running tests without control of all variables is poor research.

"If I put HHO in my engine and the O2 sensor changes, it must mean HHO changes the fuel mix". But, the test was run on a late model ECU equipped auto where the knock sensor changed the timing, an EGT sensed combustion change and adjusted the fuel flow, and a myriad of other possibilities.

The problem with the internet forums is validation. How does one validate their expertise in a given area? If not for the worries of privacy, I could give you my background info on my education, work experience, personal references and, and, . . . none of that would matter if my science was poor and my engineering was undisciplined.

Many of the self proclaim HHO experts are . . . exactly that - self proclaimed. They read up info on the internet, build their devices, then sell it on EBAY and POOF! They are an expert. They quote things like "HHO cleans up the emissions", "HHO gives you more mpg", "HHO gives you more pep and power", "HHO works on any engine - gas or diesel", and these statements are backed by years of research which they dug up on the web! If there is someone out there who fits the above description . . . I beg your forgiveness as I am not aiming to attack you personally, I am attacking an industry in general.

HHO is in it's "Wild West" stage. This has made it easy to criticize and discount the real work that is going on in the industry. And yet, people are getting positive real world results. This is the qualitative statement most of us would support - "this HHO stuff works!" Now, we need the quantitative statement set of "this HHO stuff works, because . . . ", and back the statement with solid research.

The tests I mentioned in the above posts were run between 7 and 17 years ago as part of company research on advanced combustion. Emissions was the emphasis. I will dig into the archives and look for info I can disseminate that is not considered "sensitive". But, the generator test is the definitive one since it locks the important variables down to one - the addition of HHO and it's effect on O2 sensor readings. It is simple enough almost anyone can verify the test. Have at it.

Again, I assert "the addition of HHO does not affect the balance of oxygen in the exhaust stream of a spark ignited gasoline engine". Even though this goes against the current belief of many followers of HHO.

RustyLugNut.

PS Who is this respected member you speak of? I saw a quote from a certain "Mike", and replies from an Alaskan resident.