PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Cell

rcflyn
10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
What are the consequences of firing up a Frozen HHO Cell?
It's snowing here now, and I haven't installed my PMW yet, or upped my KOH solution. I'm not gonna start it up untill I remedy my situation, but I am just curious if anybody ever started a Frozen cell and what happens to it?????

Helz_McFugly
10-16-2009, 11:39 AM
break out the vid cam and be the first. :p
Im sure a few have done it but I cant say Ive seen it on video yet. Im kidding about doing it. it would probably get air pockets of pressure and screw something up. you can search this forum for ways to keep it from freezing. some kind of alcohol or something. not sure as Im in TX. whats snow like?

rcflyn
10-16-2009, 01:39 PM
I MIGHT just do that... LOL...
I Do have another unit built sitting in the garage waiting to get installed into the truck (both my units so far are wet cells)... Maybe I'll donate the trucks wet cell 2 experimentation...

I've researched the freezing problem on here, but seem to hit a brick wall every time. I've got a few posts in the electrolyte area, but haven't gotten any answers. As I see it right now, I gotta use 28% KOH but without my PMW hooked up, that's outta the question. Gotta get off my lazy U Know what & just hook that derned thing up... but I got way too many irons in the fire (building 2 more wets, building 2 drys, waiting for $$$ to get pieces parts, Plus do normal around the house stuff)...

but I'd THINK someone has tried firing up a frozen Cell... What happens???

And as far as what snow's like?.?.?... It's AWSOME... if you have the play toys to enjoy it.. but man, it's some COLD Stuff if you don't dress for it...
HEY, speakin of TOYS... anybody ever install a HHO unit on a Snowmobile?
I doubt the charging system would support it, but when 1 of my sleds gets 10mpg & the other gets 14, every little bit would help... 2 stroke motor on HHO... HHHHMMMMMMMMMM.....
I'm contemplating building one for my motorcycle, so why not for the sled too??? Probably because the sled gets used in FREEZING weather, which is where this whole thread is based on...

Sorry for ranting....

ridelong
10-16-2009, 04:27 PM
I set up a resistive heater and insulated my gen.. If interested, see the schematic posted on the "Temperatuer feedback pwm" thread.

It monitors the gen temp, and turns on the heater if the gen goes below 38 degrees F.

lhazleton
10-16-2009, 06:22 PM
rcflyn,
Last winter I was still running a wet cell. Adding a little alcohol will help. I had fired mine up numerous times when partially frozen without damage. On nights when it was gonna get below zero, I took it out & hooked it back up in the morning.
Lee

rcflyn
10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Well, Temps are going back up, snow is gone..
As a precautionary measure, I've got a small jar of water in my van. When the jar freezes, I'll assume my cell is frozen too. It probably wont be, due to KOH, but it's a fail safe idea... I ran the cell when snow was on ground, and all was ok. but jar of water wasn't frozen either...
Anyways, Come on guys, Somebody has HAD to run a frozen cell... I'm talkin about fired that baby up in a solid block of ice... Be it Wet cell, or Dry Cell...
Are yall really gonna make me be the Guinia Pig here??? LOL...
If so, I'll do it, reluctantly, but I'll do it....
PMW will be going on Van Soon, but I'll use the one I built for my Truck for test purposes if no-one else has done this before...

Atechguy
10-19-2009, 05:31 PM
If you do a search on you tube , i believe i watched last year where the guy took it out of his freezer , wet cell was frozen solid ,after applying 12v charger it was only few of minutes and it started to send bubbles out the gas tube, not sure a dry cell will have the same amount for expansion Though. I will be trying a battery warmer , but i still have to resolve the problem when i am parked away at work for hours wiyh noway to plug the battery warmer in.:o

lhazleton
10-19-2009, 08:43 PM
If you allow a dry cell to freeze there's a good chance the ice will distort your plates and most likely ruin the gaskets.

spicerman
10-19-2009, 11:33 PM
Here is a mix that I copied last spring from a northern youtuber ,but havn't tried it YET.

*white vinegar
*baking soda
*hydrogen peroxide
*Isopropyl alcohol
- Mix 3 cups of distilled water. 3 Tbs of soda & 2 oz of white vinegar in a pan. Stir until warm and dissolved but don't get it hot (becomes sodium acetate)
- Add 1 cup of Isopropyl alcohol.
- Add 2 cap fulls of Hydrogen
Mix it good.......Make another batch if you need more.

rcflyn
10-20-2009, 04:33 PM
Some of the You Tube videos was rather interesting. I don't think I'm as worried as I was at first....
However, a couple was sorta false tests. How many of us run without Bubblers? I know I WON'T... but some of those tests were with frozen Units, but not frozen bubblers. how bout some real world tests?
But still, INTERESTING...