PDA

View Full Version : Who has a laptop?

Philldpapill
10-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Just a quick poll:

Who here has a laptop that they can use to interface with a PWM unit? The only requirement of the laptop is that it has a USB port...

I'm designing a high power, high performance, PWM unit that has the ability to connect to a laptop/PC and display all sorts of real time data.

Roland Jacques
10-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Yep yep, got one

I have a feeling the power supply project has been put on the back burner. but your pwm sounds interesting

Philldpapill
10-10-2009, 01:10 AM
Which Power Supply? These projects are actually sort of one and the same. The circuitry and layout involved are very similiar, so, I figure I'll kill 3 birds with one stone. LOL

As for the laptop, it can be a PC... It's just that most people don't usually have a PC out in their garage. Either way, just a computer to fiddle with the PWM.

Helz_McFugly
10-10-2009, 01:30 AM
I have 3. one of them is a very small one which would be perfect for the car. Hurry the F up.

OH, and I have a PC in my garage. HA

IM2L844
10-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I'm designing a high power, high performance, PWM unit that has the ability to connect to a laptop/PC and display all sorts of real time data.

That's the coolest idea I've heard in a long time. Will you be able to control the PWM via the laptop as well?

Stevo
10-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Which Power Supply? These projects are actually sort of one and the same. The circuitry and layout involved are very similiar, so, I figure I'll kill 3 birds with one stone. LOL

As for the laptop, it can be a PC... It's just that most people don't usually have a PC out in their garage. Either way, just a computer to fiddle with the PWM.

LOL. Yeah I'd put a PC out in my garage in a heartbeat. Any of my Macs, no way in hell... though I could easily do the duties on any of my Macs thanks to VMWare Fusion. Sorry, felt the urge to rip on PC. :D

Roland Jacques
10-10-2009, 11:26 AM

The house power to DC.
http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=5330

HurstOlds
10-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Something like this would interface with my CarPC perfectly. If you set it up so it could save data and stuff like that, everyone would be able to share config files and compare data, etc....

Philldpapill
10-11-2009, 01:50 AM
Exactly HurstOlds! I think it would be pretty cool to be able to collect some data, and present it in a sort of "standardized" format. Something that could show all the details of what you did, and what happened THROUGHOUT the experiment. This way others could collect their own data using the same setup, and verify your results.

So far, it's looking to be fairly common to have a useable laptop or PC. I guess I'll really get the ball rolling on this.

Anyone else want to chime in whether they can interface their HHO setup with a computer? Even if you CAN NOT, let me know!

mytoyotasucks
10-11-2009, 11:53 AM
Well I use my Laptop for real time data from the OBDII port (USB).
And i can see the injector pulse width. And since some the OBDII puter had a connector for EGT from the turbo model saturn SC, i am using a factory EGT and it is seen on my laptop also.

The program i have for the OBDII is ProScan OBD-II - http://www.myscantool.com/index.html.

biggy boy
10-15-2009, 09:54 AM
I have a laptop too!

Phil will you be running a macro in Excel for this or a C++ program?

Philldpapill
10-15-2009, 01:20 PM
No, Biggy Boy, this isn't a macro. The computer side program is a stand-alone bit of software that communicates over the USB port with the "Hulk PWM Controller"(I needed a name and Helz gave it to me!). The Hulk can either directly log data to a file on the computer, OR, it can remotely log data to an SD Card(maybe a regular flash drive soon) for later retrieval when you aren't driving.

You can always import the data into an Excel file for graphing/analysis. I'm HOPING this sort of thing can catalyze some HARD data in the community. Also, it sure has been fun working on it. :D

HurstOlds
10-19-2009, 02:45 AM
Those features would be freakin' sweet.

IM2L844
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Phil, I'm just curious if you are familiar with the youtube projects of H2O2FromH2O? A collaboration between you two guys seems like it would be a natural fit for producing some instructional videos of your ideas.