PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Wire The Plates

bigmatt33
10-01-2009, 12:35 PM
I have 4 plates with rubber washers between then and held tight with plastic screws and bots. My question is how should I wire this. Where should the + be and where should the - be? Should all of the plates have +&-, or just +or-, or should it be like + N N - with the inter plates having no wires hooked up to it?

This is my first test and with all the info I have found wiring up plates is about the only thing I couldn't find.

jerrygoldsmith
10-01-2009, 01:12 PM
Probably should have
+NN-

If you have
+-+-
then you'll have more heat and more volts across each plate, resulting in wasted energy.

How far apart are the plates? 3mm? 6mm? etc

I don't know if it would help to have more plates, but you might consider it. Neutral ones. Isn't HHO more about Amps drawn than number of electrodes? (to those mentors lurking around!)

bigmatt33
10-01-2009, 01:46 PM
I am doing this just for a test and to get to know everything. They are about 1 or 2 mm apart from each other.

So for a + N N - setup I should put the + wire only touching the first plate and the - wire only touching the last plate.

Helz_McFugly
10-02-2009, 10:20 AM
yea if you only have 4 plates thats about as good as you can get it. +nn-
more N's would be better +nnnnn- would be the best config for 12VDC wet system.

& yes, connect the hot wire on the + end plate and the ground wire on the - other end plate.
the N's should not be touching anything. the current running between them will turn them into +|- positive on one side and neg on the other.

your plates will be like this
+ n n -
+|+ -|+ -|+ -|-
if you use a 4 plate design. thats 3 cells.
6 cells would be more efficient but if youre just getting started, trial & error. thats the fun part. Hope this helps, good luck

bigmatt33
10-02-2009, 05:44 PM
thanks, that's how I thought I should do it but wanted to make sure. After this test I will be using more plates or maybe try a coil system.

milt987
11-16-2009, 09:01 PM
I have 4 plates with rubber washers between then and held tight with plastic screws and bots. My question is how should I wire this. Where should the + be and where should the - be? Should all of the plates have +&-, or just +or-, or should it be like + N N - with the inter plates having no wires hooked up to it?

This is my first test and with all the info I have found wiring up plates is about the only thing I couldn't find.

You should arrange them as + N N -, the neutral plates help in the speed of the reaction and keep the solution temperature down, the ideal space between the cells should be 1/16", Nylon washers are the best (can get them at ebay ) spacers, keep all bolts, nuts, washers and strips of the same stailess steel grade, 316L grade 18 is the must commonly used.
I got my hands on a perforated 347 plates thats a very high grade and durable plate at ebay.
Good luck
milt987