PDA

View Full Version : New HHO weapon... thought it was cool.

daveczrn
07-25-2008, 10:24 PM
http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn14372-toy-rocket-inspires-variablespeed-bullets.html

heres a caption that sent me the the full story above. i thought it was cool and really didn't know where else to post it.

We're not quite sure how the pitch session went with this one, but it looks like the US Army was so impressed by toymaker Lund and Company's Hydrogen Fuel Rocket that it decided to recruit the company to build a decidedly more lethal version of it. The new system, dubbed the Variable Velocity Weapon System, will apparently be able to be switched between lethal and non-lethal modes, and be loaded with rubber bullets, actual bullets, or other projectiles, which are fired by mixing a liquid or gaseous fuel with air in a combustion chamber. What's more, the company says that the technology could be applied to any size weapon from a "handgun to a Howitzer," and it says a demonstration version could be ready in as little as six months, with full production possible within 18 months, pending approval.

daveczrn
07-25-2008, 10:29 PM
and here is the toy rocket it talks about.

http://i.treehugger.com/files/rocket-thumb.jpg

Go Green! Make high efficiency, hydrogen rocket fuel to launch your Estes rocket. Our scientists have created a revolutionary hydrogen fuel technology. This new hydrogen fuel technology uses water to generate the hydrogen fuel needed to thrust a sleek rocket 200 feet (61 m) into the sky!

So how does it work? By passing an electric current (using six D-size alkaline batteries) through a liquid solution composed of tap water and citric acid crystals (similar to lemon juice), the water molecule bonds are broken down into the primary elements of hydrogen and oxygen (this process is called electrolysis and takes place in the Fuel Generator). These separated hydrogen and oxygen molecules then bubble upward into the plastic ball (Reaction Chamber) where an igniter produces the heat necessary to ignite the hydrogen fuel. The expanding gases launch the rocket high into the air. After the hydrogen ignites, it combines with the oxygen to form the by-product, water! The Hydrogen Fuel Rocket is a wonderful mixture of science and fun that will have you outside launching your rocket in minutes.

The Estes Hydrogen Fuel Rocket set comes complete with a hydrogen fuel generating launch system, a four-point system check, a remote push-button ignition and two ready-to-fly rockets.

The company is developing hydrogen powered model cars, and has demonstrated a “miniature internal combustion engine-based radio controlled car which operates on hydrogen fuel. The system incorporates a hydrogen/oxygen generator transfer system, and modified internal combustion engine platform. It uses electrolysis to break water into hydrogen and oxygen using a citric acid catalyst, and then uses the resulting components to run a small-scale internal combustion engine that has a spark ignition system. The generator produces gases with low-voltage DC sources such as D-sized batteries

not bad for $35 to get up to 200ft.

Omega
07-26-2008, 12:31 AM
Cool! We could get Stratous to hook up one of his high capacity HHO generators to that little sucker and blast the rocket past Uranus! :eek:

dennis13030
07-26-2008, 02:59 AM
This would be a fun application(a potato gun/tennis ball gun).

I would use a single tube design(similar to the smack's booster). Mount a propane grill igniter a couple inches above the water line. A couple inches above the igniter, place a bolt through the middle on the tube to serve as the bullet stop. Maybe build up the base of the unit for a pan & tilt control.

I wonder if it would shoot the spud or try to suck it in??