PDA

View Full Version : How Does A Dry Cell Work?

dma1989
09-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Hi Everyone!

After habging around this site for a few weeks or so, I decided to register to try and do exactly what everyone else is doing!

I have one (very n00bish) question before I begin: How does a Dry Cell produce the HHO?

I know how a wet cell works, because the electrodes are fully submerged in the electrolyte, so how does the dry cell work?

Thanks =)

Daniel

Roland Jacques
09-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Same as a wet cell it only the dry cell is able to direct the current better. so less energy is wasted.

In actuality their both "wet cells". Dry cell is the adopted name.
Closed bath electrolyzer may be a accurate descriptive name.
(Open bath electrolyzer for the "wet cell")

dma1989
09-19-2009, 12:12 PM
So am I right in thinking that both 'wet' cells and 'dry' cells are both submerged in the electrolyte?

I'm really sorry if I'm sounding thick.

Roland Jacques
09-19-2009, 12:18 PM
So am I right in thinking that both 'wet' cells and 'dry' cells are both submerged in the electrolyte?

I'm really sorry if I'm sounding thick.
yes you are right kind of. Open bath is fully submerged. Closed bath (dry cell) is just submerged internally (edges... are dry)

dma1989
09-19-2009, 12:26 PM
yes you are right kind of. Open bath is fully submerged. Closed bath (dry cell) is just submerged internally (edges... are dry)

Thank you very much for clearing that up for me =)

Much Appreciated!

Now my HHO adventure shall begin!

Daniel

dma1989
09-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Right, sorry about this.

Pretty much all day I've been getting my head around this (mainly looking at Smack's HHO Designs and Videos), and I'm still puzzled on the difference between the wet and dry cells.

I know that the wet cells are fully submerged in the electrolyte, and that in the dry cell it's submerged internally. But in the videos of dry cells i've seen, I can't see where the electrolyte is held. Would someone be able to show me an example?

Also, because the dry cell has open sides (i.e.: Is not fully enclosed or submerged in electrolyte), then how do you manage to direct the HHO into one place? Surely if the the cell isn't sealed then the gas will be escaping all over the place? Obviously the cell can direct the HHO gas into one place, so would someone be able to show me an example of that too?

Just to say, I will be starting on wet cells and going from there, but if the dry cells are more efficient, then that's what I'll be wanting to hook up to my car.

Again, sorry for all the daft questions, but I guess everyone has to start from somewhere!

Daniel

Buster
09-19-2009, 06:21 PM
Yes we do.

A wet cell is normally a series of plates suspended in a tube full of electrolyte, with a lid on the top which will have an outlet pipe fitting in it. This outlet pipe vents the HHO out of the wetcel and down an attached pipe to the engine's air intake.

Drycells, as you have probably noticed from the Smack plans, normally have gaskets between the plates which channel the electrolyte and HHO just between the plates and not around the sides of the plates as in a wetcell. This is why drycells are more efficient and cool running, because less electricity is wasted because it can only run between the plates where it produces the HHO. Holes through the plates allow electrolyte and HHO to pass through the cell and in/out through the acrylic ends via pipe fittings.

I would forget about wetcells, personally.

cabrera
09-19-2009, 06:45 PM

I know that the wet cells are fully submerged in the electrolyte, and that in the dry cell it's submerged internally. But in the videos of dry cells i've seen, I can't see where the electrolyte is held. Would someone be able to show me an example?

Here's a quick pic of a basic setup

dma1989
09-19-2009, 06:47 PM
Major Kudos to you both for your answers! Very much appreciated! =D

If I have any more questions, you bet your a** i'll be coming here for help!

Daniel

Boltazar
09-19-2009, 08:47 PM
On that picture wouldn't the cooler be on the wet side to cool the electrolite before it enters the cell.

biggy boy
09-19-2009, 09:42 PM
Also wouldn't the cell be totally flooded to the very top.
Hey has anyone tried that setup as in the diagram, with a total flooded dry cell, no air gap at the top??
I wonder if it would work, you wouldn't have to fill the cell. You wouldn't need the holes in the bottom plates to equalize the level....

borgdrone
09-19-2009, 11:10 PM
If the holes are cut in the plates (neutrals?) inside the Dry-Cell, wouldn't the current just flow straight through there with the water, making some loss in the same manner which you are trying to prevent? Just on a lesser level?

keiththevp
09-20-2009, 02:30 AM
If the holes are cut in the plates (neutrals?) inside the Dry-Cell, wouldn't the current just flow straight through there with the water, making some loss in the same manner which you are trying to prevent? Just on a lesser level?

Your answer is YES!!

Roland Jacques
09-20-2009, 10:04 AM
The answer is NO, YES, KIND OF.

You can call that small amount of current going straight through these holes, leakage. This is why a good dry cell has their holes as small of hole as possibly, with out restricting gas flow.

Wet cells the entire bath area is like the small hole in the dry cell making the wet cell leakage many times more . Even with all the wet cell's leakage, a larger amount of current goes through the neutral plates.

It appears to me that Smacks new Gen 4 Dry cell does not even have the 1 hole below the water level (when running). So they say it has Zero leakage. Down side is the cell only refills when the cell is turned off (I believe on long trips that design could run dry). There are other dry cell designs that are close to Zero leakage also.

IM2L844
09-20-2009, 01:17 PM
A couple friends are experimenting with horizonal disigns that have multiple small holes in each plate. The plates are more rectangular than square and the holes allow the rising gas bubbles to create convective circulation and they alternate their location on each consecutive plate from one end of the plate to the other Kind of like this:1338 They are getting great numbers witht this design.

Buster
09-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Looks good.
We developed a flat drycell with zero current leakage a while ago.
The only issue with horizontal dry cells is that gas stays in between the plates a bit longer unless you increase the number of holes, and this cuts down the current, so less gas per minute than if it was upright. Since it is always advisable to restrict the cells amp draw anyway, this shouldn't be a problem.

I will eventually get round to an installation of a HDC when the need arises only, as VDC are a little easier for flow purposes.

IM2L844
09-20-2009, 02:08 PM
How do you know you had zero current leakage and why is it always advisable to restrict amp draw?

Helz_McFugly
09-29-2009, 10:59 PM
bump.

How did you get zero leakage & how can you tell theres zero leakage?

Helz_McFugly
09-29-2009, 11:44 PM
The only issue with horizontal dry cells is that gas stays in between the plates a bit longer unless you increase the number of holes
wouldnt a pump solve this problem rather then more holes?