PDA

View Full Version : power hookup question

borgdrone
09-19-2009, 11:25 AM
Question on power hookup. I'm testing my monster soon, and saw where some others are wiring straight into the alternator or battery.

If I connect directly to the alternator, with 30amp fuses or 30amp breakers (or 20, dunno which I'll do yet). Is there a substantial risk of shorting out my alternator?

would it be best to put the positive on the alternator, and the negative on the Battery?

I'm going to have a switch in my car to turn it on and off while I drive. no relay, just a switch.

The Collective thanks you.

keiththevp
09-20-2009, 02:22 AM
The switch is a BAD idea, the first time you are in a hurry and forget .... listen for the BIG BOOM!! Just hard wire this into any thing in the car that runs when the engine runs. Trust me you will forget eventually, it is just human nature.

jerrygoldsmith
09-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Hmm. I thought the alternator would have been a safe bet as it doesn't output anything unless the car is on anyhow right?

I would think that you should wire it in before it gets to the fuse box too? For example, if you have headlights that come on regardless (as long as the car is on), like my car does, and if they only pull 15 amps, you would want to put it in before the 15amp fuse for the lights.

But don't quote me. I'm a newb like you Borgy.

biggy boy
09-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Hmm. I thought the alternator would have been a safe bet as it doesn't output anything unless the car is on anyhow right?

I would think that you should wire it in before it gets to the fuse box too? For example, if you have headlights that come on regardless (as long as the car is on), like my car does, and if they only pull 15 amps, you would want to put it in before the 15amp fuse for the lights.

But don't quote me. I'm a newb like you Borgy.

The positive wire from the alternator goes to the plus side of the battery, so hooking it to the alt is the same as hooking it to the plus side of the battery.

Best bet is to go the relay route and a safety on off switch in the vehicle, incase of an emergency. Even better a switch, a relay and a vacuum or pressure switch combo.

Glen