PDA

View Full Version : Conductivity question

Roland Jacques
09-18-2009, 02:04 PM
How much more conductive is 28% KOH solution than 316 Stainless steel?

In other words how far would current travel in KOH to avoid going though a SS 316 plate?

I have built another style isolated cell electrolyzer (each cell completely separated for the next. If the gaps is .25" would some current rather travel through the electrolyte feed tube .5" and then travel past all the other cells to get to the other electrode?

Philldpapill
09-18-2009, 03:40 PM
That's kind of hard to guess at... Your plates are a very well defined structure. Your KOH solution, however, isn't so well defined. The resistance is more of a vector FIELD, rather than a simple scalar. To be honest, I'm not even sure how to calculate resistance's at various points... It's going to involve some nasty integrals though...

You might be better off just replacing your plates with plexiglass, and making little probes to measure the resistances from point to point... The plexiglass plates would be needed to give an accurate representation of the resistance as the plastic plates would "block" some of the E-field... Ugh, I've often wondered the same thing, but now you've got me curious. I'll probably spend the rest of the day thinking about this... Way to go(a-hole) LOL

Roland Jacques
09-18-2009, 06:37 PM
That's kind of hard to guess at... Your plates are a very well defined structure. Your KOH solution, however, isn't so well defined. The resistance is more of a vector FIELD, rather than a simple scalar. To be honest, I'm not even sure how to calculate resistance's at various points... It's going to involve some nasty integrals though...

You might be better off just replacing your plates with plexiglass, and making little probes to measure the resistances from point to point... The plexiglass plates would be needed to give an accurate representation of the resistance as the plastic plates would "block" some of the E-field... Ugh, I've often wondered the same thing, but now you've got me curious. I'll probably spend the rest of the day thinking about this... Way to go(a-hole) LOL

I love having my own EE :D:D:D

IM2L844
09-18-2009, 07:39 PM
It becomes even trickier with changing temperatures. As temperatures rise the resistance of the plates goes up while the resistance of the electrolyte goes down...just thought I'd throw that in the mix for something else to chew on.