PDA

View Full Version : A 20 minute MPG test

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 02:59 PM
In 20 minutes I can tell the mpg of any car equipped with a mpg gauge and cruise control within 2% accuracy.

Here's how:

Get on a highway that is level and over 20 miles long.

Set your cruise control to 60, reset the mpg gauge, and record the mileage to 1/10 of a mile (or set the trip odometer to zero).

Travel 10 miles at 60 mph STOCK and record your mpg.

Now turn on your HHO, your efie, your O2 and repeat.

With 20 minutes you will KNOW!

Go another 10 miles STOCK and you will confirm.

You reset odometer reading point should not be off more than .05 miles on your odometer.

.05/10.0 = .5% accuracy.

I assume that your road is flat to with the rest of the 2% error.

I would LOVE to see videos of this test.

Boyntonstu

mario brito
07-25-2008, 03:20 PM
and................ ?

nickalderson
07-25-2008, 03:21 PM
That may work if you live in the midwest. You won't find 20 miles of straight, flat road in Southern California though.

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 03:29 PM
That may work if you live in the midwest. You won't find 20 miles of straight, flat road in Southern California though.

OK

Do the best that you can.

Go 2 miles, or even 1 mile with this technique.

I am sure that you can find a level road alongside an airport.

OTOH Go to work stock and return HHO.

Next day, go to work HHO and return stock.

Use the same route.

Within a few days you will know if HHO is helping.

BoyntonStu

nickalderson
07-25-2008, 03:31 PM
I like to just drive consistently the same way and check my mileage every time I fill up. I've been taking mileage for a while that way, so I have a pretty accurate idea of my mileage. I think if you just drive normally and take readings every time you fill up you will have an idea of whether it is working or not.

nickalderson
07-25-2008, 03:40 PM
I don't have an mpg gauge in my car. I would say just drive your car for a week or two or three stock, calculating mileage every time you fill up. Then you have a good baseline mileage to base your future results on.

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 03:45 PM
I don't have an mpg gauge in my car. I would say just drive your car for a week or two or three stock, calculating mileage every time you fill up, and then you have a good baseline mileage to base your future results on.

And.....drums roll........your before/after/before tests show:

Before HHO _____ mpg

After HHO_______mpg

BAck to stock _______mpg.

Thanks,

BoyntonStu

nickalderson
07-25-2008, 04:29 PM
I think I was a little confusing. I made it sound like I had a generator in my car. I get 28-29 mpg in my stock '92 Toyota Celica.

I have not built anything yet, so I don't have anything installed on my car. I didn't want to run out and grab the first set of designs I found and hope for good results like I see a lot of people doing, so I'm researching and researching and researching so that I really know what I am doing when I make something.

Plus, I'm broke.

justaguy
07-25-2008, 09:47 PM
I have been checking mpg stock on my truck for the past 3 weeks. My truck gets 19 mpg and ironically its exactly 19 miles to my workplace, so it will be easy for me to tell my gain.

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 10:33 PM
I have been checking mpg stock on my truck for the past 3 weeks. My truck gets 19 mpg and ironically its exactly 19 miles to my workplace, so it will be easy for me to tell my gain.

Please do and report back.

BoyntonStu

justaguy
07-25-2008, 11:46 PM
I will, and I will be truthful with my report, I have no reason to lie about it. I know a lot of people that has had huge gains in mpg, not just 5% but 50% or some even 100%. So I know there is more to it that just your driving habit.

stickittoopec
07-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Why go through all that when you can monitor it with a ScanGague and see what is going on anywhere. My wife has one in her Jetta diesel and it is always on the money with the hand calculated mileage and the estimated fill numbers. Of course you have to set it up correctly. You can turn the electrolyzer on and off and see instantly what is going on in all types of traffic and at all speeds. It is also good to help you see how your driving habits affect your mileage. You can also see any codes that are set and reset them. I'll be getting one for the truck also.
More info can be found here. http://www.scangauge.com/products/

http://www.scangauge.com/assets/graphics/IMG_2009_withdims.jpg