PDA

View Full Version : Controlling Gas Production, Current Draw & Temperature

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I just wanted to post a few of the basics on Controlling Gas Production, Current Draw & Temperature.

Relationships
Gas Production, Current Draw & Temperature are all directly related in an electrolyzer. With an increase in current draw, there is normally an increase in both Gas Production and Temperature. With an increase in Temperature, there is normally an increase in both Gas Production and current draw.

Cause and Effects
1a. If we add more chemical to our electrolyte, we will normally get a decrease in resistance through the electrolyte and this results in an increase in Current Draw->increased Temperature->increased Gas Production.
1b. If we remove some chemical from our electrolyte, we will normally get a increase in resistance through the electrolyte and this results in an decrease in Current Draw->decreased Temperature->decreased Gas Production.
2a. If we remove a neutral plate from our electrolyzer, we will normally get a decrease in resistance through the electrolyzer and this results in an increase in Current Draw->increased Temperature->increased Gas Production.
2b. If we add a neutral plate to our electrolyzer, we will normally get a decrease in resistance through the electrolyzer and this results in an decrease in Current Draw->decreased Temperature->decreased Gas Production.

Special Conditions
There seems to be some special conditions involving neutral plates and gas production. Depending on the source voltage, there seems to be an optimum number of neutral plates that will provide a "best operating point" for the electrolyzer. More study is required to better define this.

Smith03Jetta
07-25-2008, 03:22 PM
There's sort of an anomaly with the Plumabob/smith03jetta plate design. The plates produce a lot of gas (900 to 1200 ml) at 16 amps and the temperature runs low. I'm not sure why but I think it's because the connected neutral plate stacks are spread so far apart there is very little wasted electricity from one gas producing pair to the next. I would like for somebody else to test this theory by increasing the gap distance on your Non-producing plates.

As far as I know, nobody else has tried to duplicate plumabob's design.

Painless
07-25-2008, 04:10 PM
As far as I know, nobody else has tried to duplicate plumabob's design.

I'm planning to go the plumabob route, still collecting my materials at the moment and am a little limited by budget. I'll be sure to post when I get something running.

humbug
07-30-2008, 08:52 PM
what is plumabob's design :confused:

daveczrn
07-31-2008, 12:42 AM
what is plumabob's design :confused:

i give you THE PLUMABOB http://hhoforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139&d=1215187402

[QUOTE=Smith03Jetta] There's sort of an anomaly with the Plumabob/smith03jetta plate design. The plates produce a lot of gas (900 to 1200 ml) at 16 amps and the temperature runs low. I'm not sure why but I think it's because the connected neutral plate stacks are spread so far apart there is very little wasted electricity from one gas producing pair to the next. I would like for somebody else to test this theory by increasing the gap distance on your Non-producing plates. [QUOTE]

I agree. WIth the plates spaced farther apart it's easier for the current to go through the plates than around them... so the current is completely used in the setup.. another by product of this is better cooling. When more room for cool electrolite between the cells it cools the plates and electrolite much easier and faster. Think of it as an engine. The plumabob design is more like a real engine as far as cooling goes. Coolent gets to go all around each cylinder(plate) to cool the engine off at the source.... where all other generator designs is like taking a engine, sealing off all coolent passages, and droping the engine in a pool of water(a small one at that), and expecting it to run cool.

I am very happy with the design and will be coping/modifing it myself.

Smith03Jetta
07-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Don't forget to look at my thread too starting on page 19. I've taken the Plumabob original design and expanded it. I've got lots of crisp clear photos and some videos on Youtube that will help explain proper building technique for this style of system. It is totally different than a plate array like a Smacks or similar.