PDA

View Full Version : Neutral plates? There are NONE!

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 11:03 AM
The so-called Neutral plate is a misnomer.

What they should be called are "unconnected plates" or U.

The electrolyte is a conductor through which current flows.

In air, the unconnected plates will measure "neutral" or zero volts when you attach a 14 Volt battery between the + and - plates. No current is flowing.

However, once you submerge the plates into the electrolyte, the current flowing from + to - will produce a voltage on all the plates between them.

Try this measurement with your cell and a multimeter.

BoyntonStu

Smith03Jetta
07-25-2008, 11:08 AM
We know that.

Stratous
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM

In air, the unconnected plates will measure "neutral" or zero volts when you attach a 14 Volt battery between the + and - plates. No current is flowing.

However, once you submerge the plates into the electrolyte, the current flowing from + to - will produce a voltage on all the plates between them.

BoyntonStu

We already knew that, but chose to continue calling them N plates.

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 11:52 AM
We already knew that, but chose to continue calling them N plates.

You know that and I know that.

I wrote it for the nuB's.

Obviously they do not know it.

Does it make sense to call a cat a dog?

Unconnected plates are not Neutral, why call them that?

BoyntonStu

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Main Entry: neutral
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English neuterall mutually neutralizing, from Medieval Latin *neutralis, back-formation from neutralitas middle ground, from Latin neutralis neuter, from neutr-, neuter
Date: 1549
1: not engaged on either side; specifically : not aligned with a political or ideological grouping <a neutral nation>
2: of or relating to a neutral state or power <neutral territory>
3 a: not decided or pronounced as to characteristics : indifferent b (1): achromatic (2): nearly achromatic c (1): neuter 3 (2): lacking stamens or pistils d: neither acid nor basic e: not electrically charged
4: produced with the tongue in the position it has when at rest <the neutral vowels of \ə-ˈbəv\ above>

We use the word NEUTRAL like #1 and #2 above. We are aware of #3e too.

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 12:02 PM
Main Entry: neutral
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English neuterall mutually neutralizing, from Medieval Latin *neutralis, back-formation from neutralitas middle ground, from Latin neutralis neuter, from neutr-, neuter
Date: 1549
1: not engaged on either side; specifically : not aligned with a political or ideological grouping <a neutral nation>
2: of or relating to a neutral state or power <neutral territory>

I disagree.

The Unconnected plate in the electrolyte is engaged by the solution.

Unconnected plates have "power".

If unconnected plates had no power, no HHO gas would be produced.

Unconnected plates are definitely not neutral by any objective measurement.

BoyntonStu

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 12:07 PM
I disagree.

The Unconnected plate in the electrolyte is engaged by the solution.

Unconnected plates have "power".

If unconnected plates had no power, no HHO gas would be produced.

Unconnected plates are definitely not neutral by any objective measurement.

BoyntonStu

Would you agree that a word like NEUTRAL can have more that one definition or meaning?

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Would you agree that a word like NEUTRAL can have more that one definition or meaning?

In a cell are the plates Neutral is the only question.

They are not electrically neutral.

Do you wish to call an electrically active piece of stainless steel electrically"Neutral" when you know that it has a voltage on it that can be measured with a $5 multimeter?

How does "Unconnected" offend you?

Neutral offends my sense of accuracy and precision of language.

It is precisely the wording that in many cases leads people down the wrong path, especially in science.

For example: Heat and Temperature.

What has more heat: a lit match or your body?

What has more heat: 1/100 of an ounce of gas or a Liter of HHO at atmospheric pressure?

Understanding words will set you free.

Boyntonstu

timetowinarace
07-25-2008, 12:30 PM
It's true, neutral plates are not neutral. They would have no purpose if they were.

However, while I also disagree with the word and believe it causes confusion, it has become a common term in the hho community. Just like the term 'HHO' is not scientifically correct. It appears our 'slang' is going to stick so it is better to use it as common because it will continue to be common.

Also, most of the newbies have little electronics or scientific background. It's actually easier for them to grasp the 'neutral' plate and hho terms. It's them that applied these words.

Hydroginist
07-25-2008, 12:34 PM
I know one thing when you have a male dog that wants to fight and get in to pissing contests all the time you have him Neutered. :eek:

Not sure which definition that falls under.

But I thought what we are trying to do in this form is work together to make an better greener planet and get HHO going:)

Your all doing great work and things the corp boys won't and what I see here is the true American spirit that is what drives this country to be better then the rest, lets keep up the good work.

BoyntonStu
07-25-2008, 12:36 PM
It's true, neutral plates are not neutral. They would have no purpose if they were.

However, while I also disagree with the word and believe it causes confusion, it has become a common term in the hho community. Just like the term 'HHO' is not scientifically correct. It appears our 'slang' is going to stick so it is better to use it as common because it will continue to be common.

African Americans used to call themselves Negroes.

That was the "common" term.

You can be a follower or be a leader.

It is up to you.

If we start now, we can improve our society.

Isn't that what HHO is about?

Would you rather have "common" sense or would you rather have "uncommon" sense?

I am not neutral about this issue.

BoyntonStu

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I agree "They are not electrically neutral".

Being an electronics engineer, I recognized this immediately. Most of the folks here use the term "neutral" without prefixing it with the term "electrically".

I believe they are using the term properly. Here, the term "neutral" means an electrode positioned between an anode and cathode.

HomeGrown
07-25-2008, 01:13 PM
If you want to split hairs, which it appears that you do, the word "unconnected" is not accurate in some cases. Member plumabob has "neutral" plates that are CONNECTED to each other. Don't buck terminology that's already accepted and in-place, it's not worth it.

If you post simple text schematics of your cell feel free to use "U", but better post a legend, so everyone else will know what you mean.

Omega
07-25-2008, 01:17 PM
The term "neutral plate" is accepted convention in HHO circles at this time. It won't change.

Choose your battles wisely. ;)

HYDROTEKPRO
07-25-2008, 01:22 PM
:D
This is too funny. Everybody is correct. Sure, neutral seems like a new "slang" in this context. How about middle plates, since they're in the middle? You got your end plates, and you got your middle plates; seems easier and more correct-this is the term I'll be using!:D

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 01:26 PM
Don't buck terminology that's already accepted and in-place, it's not worth it.

I totally agree. Yesterday, I ran into this old terminology issue that I did not like either. But I accept it grudgingly.

The old terminology came out like this. "In what century did women win the right to vote?" Women won the right to vote on August 26, 1920. So is that the 19th century or the 20th century?

The correct answer is "the 20th century".

I think the answer should have been "the 19th century". Oh well

HYDROTEKPRO
07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Does this mean that women might lose their right to vote someday?

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Yes, if enough voters want it.

Smith03Jetta
07-25-2008, 01:45 PM
Ok, I've got a problem for the smart people on this thread to solve. Maybe it will get us off the language and race discussion. It's pure mathematics.

Solving for "X". How many answers can there be for the following math problem? Don't post the value of "X", just post how many answers there are to the problem.

(Square Root of X) - 15 = 0

By the way, I'm a Caucasoid. There's nothing white about me except my eyes and teeth. Why should I call myself white or for heaven's sake Scottish/American? I've never been to Scotland.

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM

(Square Root of X) = 15
(Square Root of X)^2 = 15^2
X = 15^2

Everyone responds in there own way. I.e. I could respond with

X = 15^2

or

X = 15 squared

both are correct and different from each other. So there is an indeterminate number of correct answers available. However, if I respond with

X = 15^3

this is different and incorrect.

nickalderson
07-25-2008, 01:58 PM
There are two answers for X.

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 02:00 PM
There are two answers for X.

What are your to answers?

nickalderson
07-25-2008, 02:04 PM
The answer depends on whether the stainless steel square root plate is connected to the positive or negative terminal.

dennis13030
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
The answer depends on whether the stainless steel square root plate is connected to the positive or negative terminal.

LOL.............right

nickalderson
07-25-2008, 02:06 PM
Actually, i think there is only one answer, because the negative would have to be attributed to the square root, not the X. If the X was negative, you would get an imaginary number.

I'm probably wrong though, because I can only imagine that Smith is trying to trick people.

HYDROTEKPRO
07-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Ok, I've got a problem for the smart people on this thread to solve. Maybe it will get us off the language and race discussion. It's pure mathematics.

Solving for "X". How many answers can there be for the following math problem? Don't post the value of "X", just post how many answers there are to the problem.

By the way, I'm a Caucasoid. There's nothing white about me except my eyes and teeth.

This is obviously discrimination against the dummies! WHY?

mario brito
07-25-2008, 03:05 PM

BoyntonStu

let me guess... your Jung Typology Test gave you the tittle of Architect... :D

midnight1957
07-25-2008, 11:33 PM
It depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

Thanks and have a Blessed day,
Wade

Smith03Jetta
07-26-2008, 10:35 AM
There are two "Correct Answers" but that's not what I was asking. I asked, "How many answers can there be for the following math problem?"

I specifically asked everyone to post how many answers, not the solution to the math problem.

The correct answer to my question is "Unknown" or "Unlimited". I can answer the problem with an undeterminite number of answers like "George", 0, 99, Pi, -(square root of 15). It doesn't matter if the answer is right or wrong. It still answers my question as presented.

The purpose of this simple math challenge was to get you to read the post carefully, not to answer the math problem.

Now with that lesson learned, it would be really nice if people would go back and invest a few hours into reading some of our lengthy posts "carefully" instead of wasting their first post on this forum agitating the rest of us with stupid rhetoric. They would soon realize that it is a waste of their time and ours to argue over word usage and stupid stuff like that.

mikestrikes
07-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Ahhh. :confused:

Go out back and smoke you a fat one................ all this will not matter when you return..