PDA

View Full Version : HHO Dry Cell

Blader
09-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi all im new to the site. Just looking for some help with my setup I currently have installed a 21 6X6 316L stainless steel Plate Dry Cell with a bubbler tank and a secondary bubbler with a check valve connected ahead of my MAF sensor. Im running 2 tablespoons of KOH and about 4.5 liters of deionized water. It cranks out about 2.5-3 LPM of gas @ about 58 Amps. I also installed a 145amp alternator, all in my 04 Avalanche with a 5.3 liter engine. I tried to install a map sensor controller but Im not having that much luck with it. I found what appears to be sweet spots on both city and hwy but if I switch the city/highway sw to city the engine starts to die out. I have to flip it back to hwy to keep truck running. Im seeing some varying results which mpgs sometimes are as high as 27 Hwy mpg to about 23 mpg and some crazy city mpgs of 31 mpg. I think that a) I know Im running too many amps and maybe too much gas is going in?b) Im thinking that wow that V8 needs all the fuel it can get.But Ive read a few reports that say you only need a 1/4 of a liter of gas per liter of engine? Also Ive read a liter of gas per liter of engine? Im also thinking now more as Im going to have put in a automatic efie controller for my O2 sensors,since I have 4 of the damm things. I also read that you only have to worry about the O2 sensors before the CAT and not the ones after it. What should I do thanks for any help

cabrera
09-16-2009, 10:00 PM
What should I do thanks for any help

I currently have installed a 21 6X6 316L stainless steel Plate Dry Cell with a bubbler tank and a secondary bubbler with a check valve connected ahead of my MAF sensor.

Good setup, are you running a flame arrestor between the 2nd bubbler & the intake?

Im running 2 tablespoons of KOH and about 4.5 liters of deionized water. It cranks out about 2.5-3 LPM of gas @ about 58 Amps. I also installed a 145amp alternator, all in my 04 Avalanche with a 5.3 liter engine.

Did you install a PWM to control the voltage to the cell? This would allow you to reduce the amp draw if you wanted.

I tried to install a map sensor controller but Im not having that much luck with it. I found what appears to be sweet spots on both city and hwy but if I switch the city/highway sw to city the engine starts to die out. I have to flip it back to hwy to keep truck running.

This I can't help you with...I'm a Ford Guy. It your MAP/MAF voltage driven or Frequency? The MAF enhancers work with voltage drive MAP/ MAF.

Im seeing some varying results which mpgs sometimes are as high as 27 Hwy mpg to about 23 mpg and some crazy city mpgs of 31 mpg. I think that a) I know Im running too many amps and maybe too much gas is going in?

PWM will fix that!

b) Im thinking that wow that V8 needs all the fuel it can get.But Ive read a few reports that say you only need a 1/4 of a liter of gas per liter of engine? Also Ive read a liter of gas per liter of engine?

Basic rule is 1 liter/liter

Im also thinking now more as Im going to have put in a automatic efie controller for my O2 sensors,since I have 4 of the damm things. I also read that you only have to worry about the O2 sensors before the CAT and not the ones after it.

Correct, the O2 sensors behind the cats only monitor results. Worry only about the 2 after the manifold, did you install O2 Extenders? If not use deeper ones made of stainless

You will find a great bunch of guys here with great ideas and they are all willing to help.
Welcome to the Forum!

Blader
09-17-2009, 08:20 AM
Well I havent installed 02 extenders since I was trying to adjust the map sensor. I just thought that maybe I need to try the maf sensor,I havent looked into that yet. If the 1/1 liter rule is so then I have to run the cell @ those amps since I cant get it to make more without drawing those kinda amps. I did have to add water yesterday to the tank since it was down. Im wondering if running it @ 58Amps is causing a bit of evaporation too. I dont have a flame arrestor since I have 2 bubblers + a check valve. I had to put in the second bubbler since I was getting a little bit of koh going into the air box. The problem with a pwm is that the one I bought is only rated for 30amps max and I running @ 58. Hence if I slow it down then goes down my hho output thats why Im running it full out. Im not getting any engine service lights so Im okay I just think it needs more hho to make a difference, since its a hungry V8.Thanks for the input

Blader
09-18-2009, 05:37 PM
Well reading up some more Ive found out that not only do I need the map sensor controller but I need to install some 02 sensor extenders. I have checked my and they are 4 wire heated type. I found out that you can use a sparkplug fouler and just drill the hole out to a 1/2" in order to facilatate the 02 sensor. They also say that u need not worry about the 02 sensors aft Cat but I read that thats not entirely true they play a vital role too. I hooked up my laptop and elm 327 and Im watching the voltages outputs from all 4 since thats how many I have.. So I also read that the efie controller is too difficult to fine tune it and that you would almost have to play with it all the time to get good results. The 02 extenders is the easier way to go,but you cant lean it out too much so its trial + error again and I will pull a spark plug out and check the heat on them just to keep a eye out for excessive heat.

cabrera
09-18-2009, 06:32 PM
The problem with a pwm is that the one I bought is only rated for 30amps max and I running @ 58. Hence if I slow it down then goes down my hho output thats why Im running it full out.

Check this on out, he's a member on this board
http://www.hhoforums.com/showthread.php?t=4003&highlight=Zero%27s+Constant+Current

This is the link to purchase
http://www.facetrough.com/product_info.php?products_id=478&osCsid=c49d64973676d475ceae552262f09da3

It looks pretty good & rated at 150 amps

cabrera
09-18-2009, 06:37 PM
BTW if you get a higher rated PWM you can up your KOH concentration to 28% mix (roughly 2 Lbs per gallon) then you can control your amps with the PWM.

cabrera
09-18-2009, 06:40 PM
I knew I had the calculation somewhere
OK 28% KOH mix would be 0.28kg of electrolyte per liter. Given that a 0.1% KOH in water solution = 1 gram of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water.
Then a 28% KOH in water solution =

280 grams of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water.
9.8767oz gram of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water.
0.6173 lbs of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water.

Blader
09-18-2009, 08:09 PM
That would probably be insane since I only have 2 tablespoons of KOH for 4.5 liters of dionized water and Im drawing 58 amps... What kinda results are you getting with ur setup or r u doing a bubbler setup?

cabrera
09-18-2009, 08:18 PM
I hold my amps at 20. I am in the process of adding components & bench testing. Running a bubbler & a scrubber with flashports. The best I produced was 2 LPM but I am pushing to make 4.
I have done a 400 mile hwy run an got 26/27 MPG in an explores sport trac.

cabrera
09-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I need to replace my Alternator with a H.O. unit and install some copper transcoolers then I will push may amps up. I will be getting that PWM I showed you to push past 30 amps

Blader
09-18-2009, 08:25 PM
Hey I looked @ it and if look closely its only rated for 40 amps theres no way that could ever handle 150 amps the damm wires could no way handle 150amps. You would need them to be like 2/0 since 3/0 is good for 200amps. So just because the transistors could be rated that high its not feasible.Dont waste ur money..damm I paid 24 bucks for my 30amp PWM from baktronics.com

cabrera
09-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey I looked @ it and if look closely its only rated for 40 amps theres no way that could ever handle 150 amps the damm wires could no way handle 150amps. You would need them to be like 2/0 since 3/0 is good for 200amps. So just because the transistors could be rated that high its not feasible.Dont waste ur money..damm I paid 24 bucks for my 30amp PWM from baktronics.com

Really!
Thanks for the heads up. I don't mind spendingf some bucks but I don't want to fry it on the first try!