PDA

View Full Version : KOH Mix

cabrera
08-31-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm looking for the ideal mix of KOH to water for my cell. I will be using a PWM so the strength of the electrolyte will not really hurt the amp draw but. for one gallon of water how much KOH should be used?

Helz_McFugly
08-31-2009, 11:48 PM
I would like to see the answer to this question. I know when I use sodium hydroxide it only takes .5 tspn per gallon for my 6' x 2.5" 10 plate +nn-nn+nn- wet cell. with that mixture I get 12.5 to 13 volts and about 20 amps and produce 1 LPM after it warms up to about 150. it also has alot to do with the type of cell and the spacing of the plates and the number of Nuetral plates. I just got my KOH and havent mixed it yet but ill let ya know what results i get.

Roland Jacques
09-01-2009, 07:16 AM
28% by weight is the point of diminishing return. I think most builders try to build cells that use this concentration. Arguably It is " the ideal concentration for max production. Most cells built for best efficiency work best with 28%.
Example "dry cell" with 5 neutrals 1.9-2.3 volt drop.
Wet cells with higher current leakage are better served to use less KOH, much less, in some cases.

Helz_McFugly
09-02-2009, 11:09 PM
can you break that 'by weight" down for me please? Im not versed on that. my bath cell uses a little over a liter of water. how many tea or table spoons per gallon or liter woud be good for it. I think I have 2 teaspoons on KOH in it now and it runs pretty good, If i put in 2.5 teaspoons it gets a little hot but man does it pump out the HHO.

the way im thinking (which ide bet is way wrong) is a gallon weighs 8.35 lbs
then 28% of 8.35 lbs is 2.338 lbs. of KOH and that sounds like way to much.
see why i need it translated

cabrera
09-03-2009, 12:05 AM
can you break that 'by weight" down for me please? Im not versed on that. my bath cell uses a little over a liter of water. how many tea or table spoons per gallon or liter woud be good for it. I think I have 2 teaspoons on KOH in it now and it runs pretty good, If i put in 2.5 teaspoons it gets a little hot but man does it pump out the HHO.

OK 28% KOH mix would be 0.28kg of electrolyte per liter. Given that a 0.1% KOH in water solution = 1 gram of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water.
Then a 28% KOH in water solution =

280 grams of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water.
9.8767oz gram of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water.
0.6173 lbs of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water.

Double check my math as it is late and I'm beat but the 0.1% KOH in water solution = 1 gram of catalyst in 1 liter of distilled water formula is correct

Oh & if you don't already use one, with that % mix, use a PWM.