PDA

View Full Version : HHO Generators

Llew2_1
08-30-2009, 07:09 AM
I have built a HHO gen, 12 in square. The plates are 8 x 10 x ,040 ins, spacings .120 ins. Connected in series -+-+-+ across the stack. 8 pairs of plates. The tank holds 22 litres water, put two desert spoons caustic soda. Within a few mins was drawing 60 amps. But not making any HHO.
I am keeping a diary on my web site www.angelfire.com/mt/llew
It occurs to me that perhaps I have got too many plates and the voltage across them is to low ??
Anyone got any advice.
The whole thing is Stainless Steel, the case is grounded to the car. Will have the pics form today uploaded tomorrow.
HELP

Roland Jacques
08-30-2009, 08:10 AM
If you are -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ your voltage would be 12 volts (if your source power is 12 volt) across each + & - you should be able to check this with a volt meter.

The reason we use neutral plate is to step down the voltage -nnnn+ divides the voltage times the number of gaps so this arrangement would take 12 volts / 5 gap to about 2.4 volts. This is better for a wet cell like yours since you have 16 plates you might try -nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+

FWIW Wet cells with exposed edges like your have typically been very inefficient. Some wet cells like this can barely produce 1LPM at 30 amps

2 of your photo shows a huge gap between some plates like 2-3", Why the gap?

Roland Jacques
08-30-2009, 08:24 AM
The whole thing is Stainless Steel, the case is grounded to the car. HELP

Oops i messed this. Wow, if the case is grounded i dont see how you can control any voltage. Your current will take the path of least resistance your case becomes a electrode:(

Llew2_1
08-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks Roland,
I was talking to a guy this morning and he said. I should insulate the negative connection as well has the positive. So then the only electrical connection with the case would be through the electrolyte. Also that I should put a plastic case around the plate stack, to stop the electrons escaping from the edges of the plates.
What do you think.

Llew2_1
08-30-2009, 07:43 PM
Hi Again,
The reason for the large gap, is to match the existing holes in the lid. This time I will make a bracket, to move the neg to match where the stack ends. I have uploaded new pics of my latest plate stack. Which still does not work. UGG