PDA

View Full Version : Smackbooster design questions

M34me
08-15-2009, 01:00 PM
I like what I see on his designs.

He shows the bubbler right next to the cell with a top fill. So if the bubbler and cell are at the same level with a top fill design, how does the electrolyte get into the cell? He has no bottom port on the bubbler either.http://smacksboosters.110mb.com/BB_Smack.html

I would assume that the 3rd port on top of the bubbler is for fill. Yes?

What is the unused port all about on the generator?

Do the check valves in his tubing create a natural siphoning effect? But then how do you do an initial fill into the generator?

Is that an aerator I see inside the bubbler which I would think would aid in separation of gas and liquid.

I was thinking if you had a bottom fill and bottom port on the bubbler then you could do this as the level in both units would equalize out.

When I first logged on here there was a fair amount of traffic, so where is everyone?

Roland Jacques
08-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Id just make the tubes to the bubbler longer than in the photo, and raise the bubbler higher.

d3vilman
08-15-2009, 01:55 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UyMA7x2wfV0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UyMA7x2wfV0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

if i understand him correctly his system uses vacuum to fill the cell. i had to listen to the video to catch how the system works.

i have to credit Painless for this video.

M34me
08-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Id just make the tubes to the bubbler longer than in the photo, and raise the bubbler higher.
Still wouldn't work as all the tubes come out of the top of the bubbler.

One of the reasons I like the design is the fact that I could build one (cell and bubbler together) and fit it in between my battery box and engine quite nicely. If I had to raise the bubbler above the cell the installation would be a bit harder.

I'll watch the video and see if I can figure it out.

If it works with vacuum, where do you hook that up?

M34me
08-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm looking at 2 different designs from Smackbooster. One has 14 plates, 2 + and 2 -. The other says it has 14 plates (the one in the video posted here) but how can you have a center tap, positive in this case, with an even # of plates? so it must be either 13 or 15 plates. I would guess 15, with #8 being the center + tap. That would give you 1.84 volts(based on 13.8 volt alt. output) per plate considering you are splitting it up with one pos and 2 neg.

according to what he says in the video you posted here it does create it's own vacuum to draw the electrolyte in. Which I guess would make sense.

d3vilman
08-15-2009, 05:23 PM
they way i am understanding it is it creates vacuum. one thing about this design is there are no water equalization hole in the bottom. the hose that feed the water in goes all the way to the back plate with holes in it to feed water to each separate cell. as the gas production flows up the hose it will create vacuum, not a lot but enough for the system to pull water in and refill the cell as needed. if you do use this system then i would bleed all air out of the line when you first start it up.

d3vilman
08-15-2009, 05:36 PM
listen to the video again. he has 7 n plates inbetween then + and - plates so in fact there are 17 plates -nnnnnnn+nnnnnnn-

M34me
08-15-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks D3. I didn't catch the plate count.
I gotta watch more of his videos I think. I'm sure all the answers are there. But I'm spending too much time on this right now.
I just watched the first part again where he describes the cell. So apparently you're not supposed to count the power plates? Is that right? You only count the neutral plates when dividing the volts?

biggy boy
08-15-2009, 08:21 PM
The way I look at the plate voltage idea is:

I consider the space between the metal plates as a cell, where the liquid is.
So his generator is a 7 cell + n n n n n n - count the spaces between the plus sign the neutrals and the minus sign they add up to 7 cells.
take the voltage that the alternator puts out say 14.5 volts and divide that by the number of cells (7). that is your voltage per cell.

As for the refilling part:
what he is saying is
when the cell is running it gets warm and when you shut it off it cools and contracts and draws the liquid back into the cells.
He uses check valves one in one direction for the feed line to the bubbler and one facing the other way in the return line for filling.

Oh and hi by the way, I am new here.
I hope to learn a lot from the forum.

M34me
08-15-2009, 11:18 PM
I think you got it right biggy. I just paused the video on a good side shot and if I factor no gasket between the neg plates and the end plates, that would make a total of 15. I can physically see 13 plates.

d3vilman
08-16-2009, 01:53 AM
now that i listen to the video again i tend to agree with biggy on the cell count. maybe the three of us can help each other out. being the others with more experience dont seem to check the forum anymore

M34me
08-16-2009, 09:28 AM
now that i listen to the video again i tend to agree with biggy on the cell count. maybe the three of us can help each other out. being the others with more experience dont seem to check the forum anymore
I know, what's up with that? I see a number of posts from Roland, but it seems like he doesn't "re-visit" after he's responded to a thread.

I was hoping to find some schematics for an efie. But I see some that at at least appear to be pretty decent.

There is another guy on here that just finished an install on the same engine I have, he gave me his number, I will be calling him this week to see how that's going and see if he can chime in a bit more here.

Not sure that a PWM is really necessary with the smack cell. It doesn't run that hot anyway.

biggy boy
08-16-2009, 09:59 AM
If you go to Youtube and watch all of his videos he tells you why he uses a 7 cell setup.
He has changed his design slightly for his version 5 cell.
There is only one plate between the two sets of cells he used two have two plated back to back in the middle section.
There is a solid gasket between these two plates, no liquid between the plates.
Now he just uses one plate there.

I'm planning on using a PWM, on my BB smack that I am building right now.
I have the plates cut out next will be the gaskets.
I have one bubbler made and will probably make a second one. Going to make a flame arrestor to go right beside the motor air intake.

I've also ordered a Volo FS1 apparently it replaces the need for an O2 EFIE and any mods to the MAP sensor or MAF sensor.

I was reading about it on some of the other HHO forums, so thought I would give it a try.

here's the link:
http://yhst-19807630266082.stores.yahoo.net/fuel-saver--fs1.html

Glen

M34me
08-16-2009, 10:16 AM
I would think an efie would work better simply because it's getting an actual reading and then adjusting according to the reading. Unless the Volo is doing the same thing only within the ECU?

biggy boy
08-16-2009, 12:20 PM
From what I have read If you only use an O2 EFIE to fool the computer
on vehicles that are OBDII, the computer gets smart and uses the MAF/MAP input signals also and tells the computer the O2 sensor is off.
So in this case with this problem then you have to add MAF and or MAP sensor enhancers and play around with adjustments to trick the computer.

According to what I read about the FS1 it actually makes the computer use a different fuel air ratio look up table.
The manufacture won't tell you what the table is.
But others that have used this device claim the new table tells the computer to use a A/F ratio of 18/1 as apposed to 14.7/1.

So this FS1 device goes to the heart of the problem and corrects it.
At least that is what is to be believed by what I have read.
Time will tell once I have it installed and do the prerequisite distance to let it do it's thing.
I have a Maxitrip computer (same idea as ScanguageII) and have been logging my mileage for two tanks. This is with no add ons or mods or HHO added.
this is for my base line numbers.

Glen

M34me
08-16-2009, 06:00 PM
What kind of car/ engine?

biggy boy
08-17-2009, 09:49 PM
What kind of car/ engine?

Do you mean mine?

2001 GMC Sierra 4.8 V8 pickup.