PDA

View Full Version : E85 and HHO

volsfan
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Has anyone tried running E85 in a car not rated for E85 after instaling HHO? I wonder if the HHO would make up the diff in octane?

d3vilman
08-13-2009, 08:50 PM
I have read nothing about anyone trying this but most engines are not set up to run on Ethanol enriched gas. You have to remember that RACING ENGINES are running on e Ethanol, that’s a lot higher compression, more heat, and so on. You have to have high end pistons, rods, crank, along with other components to even think about running; your typical engine might run it if you have a hot enough spark but you will burn it up in a short amount of time.

Roland Jacques
08-13-2009, 11:42 PM
I dont think their is any need to "make up for for the octane" because the higher octane is not a problem for for low compression engines. E85 has other issues. E85 has a lower heat value so it requires more fuel to get the same output (a higher compress engine can makes up some of that) . I dont think HHO would add to its heat value but im not sure.

"E-85 ethanol is used in engines modified to accept higher concentrations of ethanol. Such flexible-fuel vehicles (FFV) are designed to run on any mixture of gasoline or ethanol with up to 85% ethanol by volume. There are a few major differences between FFVs and non-FFVs. One is the elimination of bare magnesium, aluminum, and rubber parts in the fuel system. Another is that fuel pumps must be capable of operating with electrically conductive ethanol instead of non-conducting dielectric gasoline fuel. Fuel injection control systems have a wider range of pulse widths to inject approximately 40% more fuel. Stainless steel fuel lines, sometimes lined with plastic, and stainless steel fuel tanks in place of terne fuel tanks are used. In some cases, FFVs use acid-neutralizing motor oil. For vehicles with fuel-tank mounted fuel pumps, additional differences to prevent arcing, as well as flame arrestors positioned in the tank's fill pipe, are also sometimes used."