PDA

View Full Version : Starting over

tammons3
07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
About 2 years ago I started trying to replicate the meyers/ravi cell design.

Large plastic tube, 316 stainless etc etc, but lost interest. Never got around to the annealing process that ravi said was so crucial. Also ended up with 2 different finish tubes. #2 and #4. Never was able to get good output without an electrolite. Even then the amp draw was too high.

Looks like a few of you are making good progress and what I need is a good re-starting point.

I am thinking to go with flat plate to keep things simpler.
I assume 316 is still the metal to use.

So -

I need some general design parameters to get started and maybe a decent DC frequency generator. I really would prefer to run it on pure rain or spring water with no electrolite.

Also want to run it off a solar panel eventually as a power source.

Thanks in advance

Q-Hack!
07-07-2009, 12:13 PM
I don't think anybody here has tried annealing their stainless steel yet. Mostly due to the difficulty in getting it done. If you want to do it your self you will need to get the plates up to 1040 degrees Celsius. While it is relatively simple to use an oxy/accy torch to get spots of the plate to that temp, you have to get the entire plate evenly up to temperature. Also, you don't want to keep it at that temp very long or you get an orange peel effect. There are several websites that go into more detail about the process. Here is one: http://www.azom.com/Details.asp?ArticleID=1141

I suggest that you have your plates professionally annealed. It may cost a bit, but you would be guaranteed consistency. I would be very interested in the results of a side by side comparison of annealed and non-annealed plates.

tammons3
07-07-2009, 01:40 PM
I found this requirement in some of Ravis documents, but what he called annealing was not done with heat. Improper term really, but thats what he called it. At any rate it was to flood or immerse the 316L tubes in Argon for a very long time. Cant exactly remember how long it was, but I do still have the docs. Seems like it was 24 or 48 hours. Something like that.

At that time I considered it as I did have some leftover argon for my tig welder, but not enough, so I needed a new tank.

Ravi mentioned this as a first critical step to getting massive hydroxy gas output at very low aperage levels like 1/2 amp as shown in the Ravi and Meyers youtube videos.