PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Voltage on my cell !!

bmiller
07-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi all, I am new to HHO production and find it very interesting. I don't know anybody else working with this stuff so getting help with questions is pretty difficult. I recently built a small dry cell as my first unit. I had 8 (3"x5") 316 SS plates to work with. I used all 8 in a single cell design with positive connected at one end and negative on the other. When i fired it up I wasn't getting any gas production...I did some reading and learned that for a one cell design, 8 plates was causing too much voltage drop which was why i wasn't getting any gas. Here's where it gets interesting...as I was testing voltage with the multimeter, I accidentally touched the side of the probe to two plates at once bridging the plates in the middle. All of a sudden I started getting quite a bit of gas considering the size and amperage of the unit. As soon as I break the bridge, the gas stops. I used a solid piece of 14g copper wire to create the bridge. The wire is bent in a U shape and wedged between plates 3/4 and 5/6. I am using a computer power supply for testing at this point. Prior to this mod, voltage at each end of the cell used to read approx 11.5 volts with no gas production. After the mod, voltage now reads approx 10.5 with good gas production. I checked the voltage through the cell after the mod and it goes like this. Voltages are approximates....Plate1 is Positive, Plate8 is Negative

Plate 1-2 2.5 volts
Plate 1-3 5 volts
Plate 1-4 5 volts
Plate 1-5 5 volts
Plate 1-6 5 volts
Plate 1-7 7.5 volts
Plate 1-8 10.5 volts

I am no electrician which is why I am seeking assistance. This doesn't appear to be causing strain on my power supply. The Power supply is not getting hot. Does anybody know what kind of wiring I have? I would estimate that I am getting around .5L/min at only 9 or 10 amps. It seems like a decent amount of production for a small cell at low amperage.

I can provide a picture if any of this is unclear. Thanks in advance for any help.

HHO BLASTER
07-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Use 7 plates when you short out a cell, it becomes 7 plates, also what is your current?

bmiller
07-06-2009, 12:26 PM
My multimeter can only handle 10amps so I keep it just below that right now. Are you saying that my current configuration has dead plates in the middle doing nothing? Just trying to understand better.

HHO BLASTER
07-06-2009, 12:42 PM
My multimeter can only handle 10amps so I keep it just below that right now. Are you saying that my current configuration has dead plates in the middle doing nothing? Just trying to understand better.

No i'm saying take out one plate, your dropping to much because of that plate if you don't understand it, just do it, go to a auto parts store and pick up a amp meter, you need more then 10 amps if you want gas

bmiller
07-06-2009, 02:04 PM
For sure, I will take out the plate...7 plates should give me approx 2volts per gap which is required correct? Are you able to explain the current wiring I have? I'm curious to know why it started producing gas in this configuration. Any help is appreciated.

HHO BLASTER
07-06-2009, 08:56 PM
For sure, I will take out the plate...7 plates should give me approx 2volts per gap which is required correct? Are you able to explain the current wiring I have? I'm curious to know why it started producing gas in this configuration. Any help is appreciated.

Because shorting one cell and using less cells is the same thing just do it trust me

bmiller
07-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the help...when i checked the gaps on my current configuration, 3 gaps in the middle of the cell where i bridged the connections show 0 voltage or pretty close to 0. The remaining 4 gaps read around 2.5 volts or so. The total voltage of the cell is approx 10.5...what I learn from this is that the 3gaps in the center of the cell are not making any gas while the other 4 gaps are. b/c voltage is 2.5 on those gaps I'm probably making a bit more heat than desired. I removed one plate last night and re-assembled the cell. I should have 6 gaps @ 2volts on a 12volt supply now. I am using a computer power supply that will put out 17amps @ 12volts. The only issue I see is that the power supply only puts out approx 11.5 volts in actuality. This will only give me around 1.9volts per gap on my cell. I hope this is enough to make gas for testing purposes. I know this would work in a vehicle b/c the electrical supplies 12-14 volts no problem. I'll let you know how it works out...

HHO BLASTER
07-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the help...when i checked the gaps on my current configuration, 3 gaps in the middle of the cell where i bridged the connections show 0 voltage or pretty close to 0. The remaining 4 gaps read around 2.5 volts or so. The total voltage of the cell is approx 10.5...what I learn from this is that the 3gaps in the center of the cell are not making any gas while the other 4 gaps are. b/c voltage is 2.5 on those gaps I'm probably making a bit more heat than desired. I removed one plate last night and re-assembled the cell. I should have 6 gaps @ 2volts on a 12volt supply now. I am using a computer power supply that will put out 17amps @ 12volts. The only issue I see is that the power supply only puts out approx 11.5 volts in actuality. This will only give me around 1.9volts per gap on my cell. I hope this is enough to make gas for testing purposes. I know this would work in a vehicle b/c the electrical supplies 12-14 volts no problem. I'll let you know how it works out...

First i think you need a real power source to do bench testing, why not build your own from a old microwave oven if you want to know more use the search engine on this board and type in microwave and you will find lots of info or just ask me

bmiller
07-07-2009, 02:48 PM
Sounds good...I'll look into it