PDA

View Full Version : We need something...

BennyLava
06-27-2009, 03:28 AM
We need a sticky or something that lists general MPG improving tips. Be it free ones like making sure your tires are aired up, or expensive ones such as adding a free flowing aftermarket exhaust to your car. I will list the ones i can think of off hand, but in the end it doesn't need to be just a big long thread with lots of people adding to it, but perhaps rather a closed thread with one long list. That you can add to by PM'ing a mod or something. That would be for ease of use by everyone. Anyway, here is the stuff i can think of off hand.

1. Making sure all your tires are inflated to their recommended spec.

2. Staying off the gas pedal. Try not to be such a leadfoot. Drive in a laid back manner.

3. Adding a performance exhaust manifold (AKA a "header") to your car. This would need to be combined with all new exhaust pipe, that would be slightly larger in diameter than the old pipe. It would also include a free flowing, aftermarket performance muffler. A couple of known brands would be FlowMaster, Moroso, and Borla.

4. Using synthetic oil. It has been proven that cars who use a FULL synthetic oil such as Royal Purple or AMSoil get slightly better MPG than they did otherwise. This is likely due to the fact that the engine just doesn't have to work quite as hard to move all those moving parts.

5. Installing an aftermarket ignition system. MSD and Jacobs electronics are two good examples of companies who sell racing ignition systems. These can be purchased for any vehicle out there. (well maybe not all, but it would be rare) The bottom line of this is that the spark gets hotter. A lot hotter. And this burns a lot more fuel then a low end ignition system, such as the stock one. This will include a new coil, distributor (if applicable), a new ignition control module, (which is the main part, i believe) and new larger diameter spark plug wires. It's not limited to this though, not sure what all comes in that kit these days.

6. Routine maintenance. Making sure your tune up is not wore out. These items will still function (usually) enough to let the car run normally, it will just waste fuel. This would include replacing your air filter, fuel filter, Oxygen sensor, spark plugs, plug wires, PCV valve, distributor cap and rotor (if applicable).

7. Change your transmission fluid and rear end gear oil. The gear oil part is only on rear wheel drive cars though. New fluid = easier operation over old, wore out fluid.

8. Adding an aftermarket air intake. Im sure you have all heard of the K&N brand air filter. They are much better and more expensive than any other regular non cotton air filter. Well the company also sells a whole air intake that they say can increase MPG by 10%. We all know it's probly more like 4%, but hey once you add everything all up it can help a lot. So i would also have to recommend aftermarket air intakes.

9. Use a cotton air filter instead of the el-cheapo Fram, or STP or the like. Cotton flows far more, and filters significantly better than the paper ones. The filters run $49 these days. Thats actually pretty cheap compared to what they used to be.

10. Adding a HHO generator. I think that due to the nature of this site, this addition to the list needs no further explanation.

Anyone have any others to add? Once we have every trick in the book, maybe we can talk the site owner into creating a sticky that will always be here.

Philldpapill
06-27-2009, 04:56 AM
This isn't so much a suggestion, but a footnote. Under each of those items, you might give a general ballpark price, like you did with the cotton filter, AND their usual improvements. With those numbers, you might also give how long it would probably take for the investment to pay for itself. IMO, there's no reason to spend $200 on racing gear that gives you a 1-2% increase in gas mileage. With those numbers, it would take YEARS to come out even, let alone start saving money overall.

BennyLava
06-27-2009, 04:48 PM
Well yeah but it's a lot more of an increase than that. For example there is an exhaust company for my 1987 chevy silverado 5.7L that guarantees a 13% increase or your money back. Stock exhausts are very stifled. You have to rob a lot of power and efficiency to make an engine be quiet. I would estimate the MSD to be around 5%. So this stuff would pay for itself in a year or two. It lasts a heck of a lot longer than that. Probly 10 years.

Philldpapill
06-27-2009, 05:12 PM
Ok, cool! 13% increase is great! How much does it cost? I'll assume ~$200, atm. I'll also assume that your '87 Silverado gets 16MPG(?). If you are the average person, and drive about 1,000 miles a month... Then in a year, you drive 12,000 miles. At 16MPG, that's 750 gallons of gasoline, and at today's current prices(~$2.50/gallon), that would be $1,875 in gas per year.

Now, adding the exhaust system, you get a 13% increase in gas mileage. Your new MPG would be 18.08MPG. Driving the same amount a year, and at the same prices, that's 663.7 gallons, or $1,659 in gasoline. That's a savings of about $215/year. Not bad at all. After about a year, your exhaust pays for itself!

Those are the kind of statistics that I'm talking about. If my figures are remotely accurate for your truck, then heck ya - get the exhaust! Giving some numbers to the suggestions, IMO, gives people a much better idea of what kind of savings they can get. It's all about the Cost/Benefit ratio. ;)

BennyLava
06-27-2009, 07:51 PM
Yeah i agree you gota watch your costs. But the little things add up, you know. Like, just for example i will be building my own replacement engine for the aforementioned truck. The one that is in it is the original one and when it dies, i want to have a backup on hand and ready to go in. I intend to build it better than GM ever thought about doing with stainless steel valves (also good for HHO), more free flowing oil journals, roller rockers, roller lifters, and a roller cam, (as opposed to the slightly less efficient flat tappet setup) balanced piston rods, better intake manifold, ect ect ect. There are a lot of little things like that, that once added up, crank out about 3 or 4 more MPG than what the car would have come with. Not to mention that when an engine is more efficient like that, it lasts a heck of a lot longer. And you get more power. Maybe instead of giving out at 185K mi, it gives out at 290K. That alone is enough to justify the cost in the performance parts. Engine repairs are certainly very expensive.

And then, on top of all your other stuff, you finally add your HHO generator and boost the vehicle up another 20%. Then again, i take great pleasure in doing all of this stuff, and in actually driving the vehicles that i build up. I am a bit of a car enthusiast, so maybe it turns out being more worth it for me than some other people.