PDA

View Full Version : Liquid Hydrogen MPG

BoyntonStu
06-15-2009, 12:54 PM
When ignited, hydrogen burns in air with a pale blue to colorless, nonluminous flame, yielding H20. When mixed with air, the flammability limit is 4-74% hydrogen. When mixed with oxygen, the flammability limit is 4-94% hydrogen.

Care must always be exercised where there may be hydrogen mixtures with air or oxygen because VIOLENT EXPLOSIONS may occur. So we now understand that hydrogen burns with a very hot, explosive and yet invisible flame.

To date, the cost has been prohibitive for providing commercial home type uses. Not to mention the generally accepted yet quite faulty idea of a CENTRALIZED source of power distribution. Such reliance on central systems simply sustains the current need for each of us to be dependent and supportive of these very large institutions.

Eventually, society will see how freedom, independence and prosperity will come from the LOCAL generation of power and food wherever possible.

The high temperatures produced when hydrogen reacts with oxygen or fluorine, plus the low molecular weights of the product gases, have made hydrogen a prime fuel for rocket propulsion, since rocket thrust increases directly with the temperature and inversely with the molecular weight of the exhaust gases.

Some studies have indicated that the cost of transporting and distributing hydrogen by pipeline may be less than the cost of transporting and distributing electric power. Presumably existing natural gas pipelines and distribution systems can be adapted to the use of hydrogen.

Although hydrogen has a net heating value of only 275 Btus per cubic foot, as compared with 913 Btus per cubic foot for methane, the lower density and viscosity of hydrogen make it possible for a pipeline to deliver about the same amount of thermal energy as with methane, at a somewhat higher compression cost.

The thermal energy in hydrogen can be utilized more efficiently in home heating than natural gas, because hydrogen can be burned in nonconventional heaters, with no loss of heat, since its only primary combustion product is water. By using flameless catalytic heaters, nitrogen oxide can be eliminated. However, oxygen depletion of closed spaces will still present a hazard.

Hydrogen mixed with gasoline has generated as much as a 50% improvement in overall efficiency. A test motorcar obtained 19 miles per pound of hydrogen. However, since liquid hydrogen weighs only 0.58 pound per gallon, the mileage figure was 11 miles per gallon of liquid hydrogen. The use of liquid hydrogen as a motor fuel thus presents several major problems despite its basic attractions.

BoyntonStu
06-15-2009, 02:59 PM
lifted from the article solo33 posted......

Yep!

I wanted to point out how low the energy density of Hydrogen actually is.

Do you have any idea of how many liters of HHO it needed to produce 0.58 pounds of Hydrogen?

How much energy would take to liquefy it (assuming no explosion)?

Hydrogen is a terrible energy carrier an certainly not a fuel!

Our only hope is to use HHO as a catalyst.

The numbers don't lie.

The facts are not naysayers.

BoyntonStu

Philldpapill
06-15-2009, 06:40 PM
I think when they imply the energy content of Hydrogen, they are talking about the energy content through combustion. So, when you combine H2 and O2, you get water and energy. The energy they refer to in hydrogen, IS that energy. That being said, there is no energy in O2.

BoyntonStu
06-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I think when they imply the energy content of Hydrogen, they are talking about the energy content through combustion. So, when you combine H2 and O2, you get water and energy. The energy they refer to in hydrogen, IS that energy. That being said, there is no energy in O2.

You are missing the point.

Can you produce a pound of Hydrogen?

BoyntonStu

zennerx
06-15-2009, 09:54 PM
You need to realize that HHO is quite a bit more powerful than plain old hydrogen. I can can go into quite a few examples but I will simply post the flame propagation speeds to give you an idea of just how energetic HHO is.

Gasoline has a flame speed of 70ft/sec to 170ft/sec
Hydrogen(H2) has a flame speed of 680ft/sec
HHO has a flame speed of 8160ft/sec (mach 7.5)

So in my not so important opinion you need much less HHO than everyone thinks they do to get the desired beneficial effects.

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 12:11 AM
You need to realize that HHO is quite a bit more powerful than plain old hydrogen. I can can go into quite a few examples but I will simply post the flame propagation speeds to give you an idea of just how energetic HHO is.

Gasoline has a flame speed of 70ft/sec to 170ft/sec
Hydrogen(H2) has a flame speed of 680ft/sec
HHO has a flame speed of 8160ft/sec (mach 7.5)

So in my not so important opinion you need much less HHO than everyone thinks they do to get the desired beneficial effects.

Can you produce a pound of HHO?

BoyntonStu

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 01:46 AM
Yep!

I wanted to point out how low the energy density of Hydrogen actually is.

Do you have any idea of how many liters of HHO it needed to produce 0.58 pounds of Hydrogen?

How much energy would take to liquefy it (assuming no explosion)?

Hydrogen is a terrible energy carrier an certainly not a fuel!

Our only hope is to use HHO as a catalyst.

The numbers don't lie.

The facts are not naysayers.

BoyntonStu

Stu, I respect your intelligence very much but there will be the day that hydrogen is our fuel of choice. You present in the box logic very well. Look outside the box. It is clean and can not be used up if taken from water and then burned. We just need to make it happen where there is less energy expended than produced. I know very well that you think this impossible. I however beleive there are out of the box ways to make this work.

Larry

Larry

zennerx
06-16-2009, 03:22 AM
Can I produce a pound of HHO? Of course I can as I am sure you also can. You asked a very open ended question, can you produce a pound of hydrogen in a minute, hour, week, year, compressed, non-compressed, liquefied?

HHO is NOT H2. Here is where we all need to change our outlook on things.

HHO gas contains 60,000 KJ/m3 of energy at 1 atm.

Hydrogen(H2) gas contains 10,000 KJ/m3 at 1 atm.

H2 is 1/6th the strength of HHO.

The article you refer to is based on H2 NOT HHO, so none of it is relevant.

Regardless I have done tons of mathematical equations and am of the firm belief that you can run a small 4 cylinder car at 60mph with 50LPM of only HHO or less with proper tuning of the engine. Im sure all the credibility that I didn't have just went out the window with that statement but I digress. Words are words and proof is proof, someday soon I hope :)

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 04:19 AM
Can I produce a pound of HHO? Of course I can as I am sure you also can. You asked a very open ended question, can you produce a pound of hydrogen in a minute, hour, week, year, compressed, non-compressed, liquefied?

Regardless I have done tons of mathematical equations and am of the firm belief that you can run a small 4 cylinder car at 60mph with 50LPM of only HHO or less with proper tuning of the engine. Im sure all the credibility that I didn't have just went out the window with that statement but I digress. Words are words and proof is proof, someday soon I hope :)

I agree completely Where were the text books when the wheel was invented. We overthink and rely way too much on our teachers and not enough on imagination and invention. The answer IS HERE! Keep up the positive thoughts someday things will change.

Larry

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 07:43 AM
May take a while.... but yes.

How long is a while?

How many Watt-hours would be necessary?

How would you store it?

All of this energy, time, and volume to approximate a little gasoline.

I call this "Hydrogen Lay Away"

BoyntonStu

mobman
06-16-2009, 10:57 AM
How long is a while?

How many Watt-hours would be necessary?

How would you store it?

All of this energy, time, and volume to approximate a little gasoline.

I call this "Hydrogen Lay Away"

BoyntonStu

Stu...you are totally a non-conforming comformist. Your questions are not even worth answering since you are not asking the right questions. How long is a while?? That depends on how many amps you put into a system and how well the HHo system is build. HHO doesnt need to be stored...we are talking about an ON DEMAND system. HHO produced is used AT THE SAME RATE....whether for automotive applications, high temp torches etc. wikipedia is your best friend...type HHO and have fun with it. What is more important in all of this is...that HHO really works! The technology that we have today and will have in the future will make it even better.

Roland Jacques
06-16-2009, 10:57 AM

We dont use HHO in it's Pure HHO form. It is gets dilute with tons of air before we burn it, so its probably better looked at as H2 as far as its energy is concerned.

mobman
06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
I have done tons of mathematical equations and am of the firm belief that you can run a small 4 cylinder car at 60mph with 50LPM of only HHO or less with proper tuning of the engine.

Yup...strap two 250+ AMP alternators and 3 deep cycle batteries in your car, some way to cool the generator(s) and get a stand alone Engine management system and you are all set!!

mobman
06-16-2009, 11:05 AM
Just to add to this dicussion...I just found out that Hydrogen by itself is a poor fuel...

its stoich ratio is 34:1 but if you run it in a cars engine at that rate it will melt the internals...it gets extremely hot. If you run it crazy lean at say 90:1 it has no heating problems but you may experience loss of power.

So hydrogen by itself is a poor fuel. HHO = much better

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 01:40 PM
Just to add to this dicussion...I just found out that Hydrogen by itself is a poor fuel...

its stoich ratio is 34:1 but if you run it in a cars engine at that rate it will melt the internals...it gets extremely hot. If you run it crazy lean at say 90:1 it has no heating problems but you may experience loss of power.

So hydrogen by itself is a poor fuel. HHO = much better

I disagree.

H2O is the ember of burnt Hydrogen.

2:1 is the correct ratio.

Adding more air or oxygen will add nothing to the burn.

At 20 MPG you use about 6.4 pounds of gasoline in 20 minutes at 60 MPH.

If you had 10 each 350 AMP alternators and a 500 plate cell, I doubt that you could produce a pound of HHO in 20 minutes.

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 02:18 PM
350amps @ 12v = 4200watts * 10 = 42000watts @ 7mmw (with a cell like Larry's) = 294LPM I'd say you would be able to run a car on that......

Stu what is your point??

Why always post negative.... "you cant do it" type remarks. I would say most here are tired of it.

What engine will allow you to generate 42,000 Watts (56 HP) of energy and still run.

What size wire will you use to carry 3,500 Amps?

I say that you can't do it.

BTW How much does 294 LPM x 20 minutes HHO weigh?

BoyntonStu

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 03:39 PM
BMW seems to be having no issues running an ICE on liquid hydrogen. Running the car is no issue at all. In fact it has the same performance on Hydrogen as it does on gasoline. The problem is infrastructure for liquid Hydrogen. Costs are still too high because demand is too low. It could cost much less than gas if the proper generating stations and distribution networks were in place. BMW is also looking to get the hydrogen from electrolizers and not natural gas or methane. With advancements in technology and cell effeciency some day long into the future people could easily make their own fuel in their garage at night.

Larry

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 04:45 PM
BMW seems to be having no issues running an ICE on liquid hydrogen. Running the car is no issue at all. In fact it has the same performance on Hydrogen as it does on gasoline. The problem is infrastructure for liquid Hydrogen. Costs are still too high because demand is too low. It could cost much less than gas if the proper generating stations and distribution networks were in place. BMW is also looking to get the hydrogen from electrolizers and not natural gas or methane. With advancements in technology and cell effeciency some day long into the future people could easily make their own fuel in their garage at night.

Larry

Larry,

"With advancements in technology and cell effeciency (sic) some day long into the future people could easily make their own fuel in their garage at night."

What MMW would be needed to produce a pound of HHO in 20 minutes?

BoyntonStu

zennerx
06-16-2009, 05:35 PM
51LPM will make a pound of HHO in 20 minutes

7mmw = 7285.71 watts to make one pound in 20 minutes
8mmw = 6375 watts to make one pound in 20 minutes
9mmw = 5667 watts to make one pound in 20 minutes

I can keep going but I think you get the point. Now if you want to get technical, yes most of that pound is the oxygen content, but you asked for the numbers for HHO so there ya go. Yes, at the technologies current state it is not practical but it IS possible and will only get easier as things progress.

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 05:39 PM
Larry,

"With advancements in technology and cell effeciency (sic) some day long into the future people could easily make their own fuel in their garage at night."

What MMW would be needed to produce a pound of HHO in 20 minutes?

BoyntonStu

I am not sure about HHO but from what I can find 1 liter of hydrogen weighs
.1543 pounds. So it would take 6.48 liters of hydrogen to make a pound. only 50% of HHO is hydrogen so 13 liters of HHO to het 1 lb of hydrogen. As for the rest of your question. There is no answer because it depends on the input watts. I could have a 1 MMW cell and make 1 lb of hydrogen is 1 second if I hit the cell with enough watts. With my current set up I make a lb of hydrogen in well under 2 minutes. I simply do not get what point you are trying to make with this question.

Larry

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 05:40 PM
I am not sure about HHO but from what I can find 1 liter of hydrogen weighs
.1543 pounds. So it would take 6.48 liters of hydrogen to make a pound. only 50% of HHO is hydrogen so 13 liters of HHO to het 1 lb of hydrogen. As for the rest of your question. There is no answer because it depends on the input watts. I could have a 1 MMW cell and make 1 lb of hydrogen is 1 second if I hit the cell with enough watts. With my current set up I make a lb of hydrogen in well under 2 minutes. I simply do not get what point you are trying to make with this question.

Larry

Larry,

Liquid HHO or gaseous HHO?

That is exactly my point.

BoyntonStu

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Larry,

Liquid HHO or gaseous HHO?

That is exactly my point.

BoyntonStu

So much for your point. It is possible and I for one beleive that someday we could and may accually accomplish this.

Stu, How long would it take you to make 1 pound of gasoline in your garage. With no oil well. We already have the ability to make hydrogen and no ability to make gasoline.

Larry

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 06:23 PM
So much for your point. It is possible and I for one beleive that someday we could and may accually accomplish this.

Stu, How long would it take you to make 1 pound of gasoline in your garage. With no oil well. We already have the ability to make hydrogen and no ability to make gasoline.

Larry

What is the source of the fuel to make the electricity in your garage?

Is it coal, natural gas, oil, solar, wind or ?

BoyntonStu

P.S. We can make gasoline out of algae oil.

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 07:20 PM
What is the source of the fuel to make the electricity in your garage?

Is it coal, natural gas, oil, solar, wind or ?

BoyntonStu

P.S. We can make gasoline out of algae oil.

In Alaska the obvious source of electricity is mostly natural gas. It is just burned off from many oil wells. That is not the point at all. The point is simple. We could do it and it is acheivable. There are many ways to get electricity. Wind and solar would be the prefered method but that point is mute. Honda is now testing home refuling stations to refill the FX Clarity fuel cell vehicle over night in peoples garage. They are testing a prototype now. They already offer home refueling stations for the Civiv CNG car they sell. And yes I know they using natural gas to make the hydrogen. They are investigating using electrolosis as is BMW.

Larry

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 07:33 PM
In Alaska the obvious source of electricity is mostly natural gas. It is just burned off from many oil wells. That is not the point at all. The point is simple. We could do it and it is acheivable. There are many ways to get electricity. Wind and solar would be the prefered method but that point is mute. Honda is now testing home refuling stations to refill the FX Clarity fuel cell vehicle over night in peoples garage. They are testing a prototype now. They already offer home refueling stations for the Civiv CNG car they sell. And yes I know they using natural gas to make the hydrogen. They are investigating using electrolosis as is BMW.

Larry

Why not just burn the natural gas in your car?

NG is currently being used in many truck fleets.

It is a complete waste of energy to use the NG to make electricity and then use the electricity to make HHO.

Assuming an efficiency of 7 MMW, it still doesn't make any logical sense.

BoyntonStu

Painless
06-16-2009, 08:15 PM
I think we should also consider peoples individual motives for choosing a hydrogen fuel source:

Is it:

A) To reduce the cost of fuel production and hence each mile they drive.

Or:

B) To reduce the impact on the environment.

Or:

C) Both.

Whilst everyones points are valid, I believe there is a bigger picture here than just to save money or do something as cheaply as possible.

The ideal infrastructure, in my mind, would be everyone being self sufficient for electricity production (wind / solar / water power / hamster in a wheel) and to tailor the rest of our lives around this infrastructure. If we were all producing our own electric, an electric car would be an ideal answer (with required battery technology), the DC motor is 80+ % efficient at converting electrical energy into torque.

My point is, it all depends on your perspective.

Russ.

BoyntonStu
06-16-2009, 08:43 PM
I think we should also consider peoples individual motives for choosing a hydrogen fuel source:

Is it:

A) To reduce the cost of fuel production and hence each mile they drive.

Or:

B) To reduce the impact on the environment.

Or:

C) Both.

Whilst everyones points are valid, I believe there is a bigger picture here than just to save money or do something as cheaply as possible.

The ideal infrastructure, in my mind, would be everyone being self sufficient for electricity production (wind / solar / water power / hamster in a wheel) and to tailor the rest of our lives around this infrastructure. If we were all producing our own electric, an electric car would be an ideal answer (with required battery technology), the DC motor is 80+ % efficient at converting electrical energy into torque.

My point is, it all depends on your perspective.

Russ.

Russ,

My goal is to save energy; not to waste energy.

If energy is saved, the environment is protected.

What I am against, is false science, false energy savings, and wasting energy.

I am enthused about algae oil because it eats CO2 and it is a renewable source of oil. It is possible to produce 10,000 gallons of algae oil per acre.

People need to ask ourselves, "How much HHO is required to equal a gallon of gasoline?"

IMHO Until this question is understood, we will not get anywhere.

BoyntonStu

P.S. Hydrogen is NOT a fuel SOURCE.

Hydrogen is a fuel CARRIER (like a battery).

H2OPWR
06-16-2009, 10:49 PM
I am done responding to this BS. Either beleive in HHO or cancel your obvious plans to profit from it. Anything else is criminal.

Larry

Why not just burn the natural gas in your car?

MG is currently being used in many truck fleets.

It is a complete waste of energy to use the NG to make electricity and then use the electricity to make HHO.

Assuming an efficiency of 7 MMW, it still doesn't make any logical sense.

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu
06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
I am done responding to this BS. Either beleive in HHO or cancel your obvious plans to profit from it. Anything else is criminal.

Larry

Larry,

HHO gas is great for flame soldering, brazing, cutting, and light welding.

An HHO generator makes an interesting science toy, (as are home built Sterling engines).

Why is everything so black and white for you?

BoyntonStu

P.S. Why would you waste NG to make HHO instead of directly using it in your car?

Roland Jacques
06-17-2009, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=BoyntonStu;29531]Russ,

I am enthused about algae oil because it eats CO2 and it is a renewable source of oil. It is possible to produce 10,000 gallons of algae oil per acre.

BoyntonStu

QUOTE]

Absolutty agree with this Stu. Keep up the good work.

We do need to hold ourselves to a high standard of accountablity. Its to easy to sucked into hype-ville. This is worth repeating IMO.
"What I am against, is false science, false energy savings, and wasting energy"

Painless
06-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Russ,

People need to ask ourselves, "How much HHO is required to equal a gallon of gasoline?"

BoyntonStu

Stu,

I personally want to save money while saving our environment.

I agree the algae is very promising, however, we should also consider that it is still a hydrocarbon and will still produce emissions. More efficient burning will reduce emissions, however, I don't think it could equal the emission free combustion of hydrogen produced from a green source. I hope that the fuel derived from the algae turns out to be a good enough quality to allow full breakdown of the molecular chains and hence efficient combustion.

Once again, it's about personal choice. I'm not saying that hydrogen is the energy of the future, we simply don't have the knowledge yet to make that a definite fact.

I realize that hydrogen is not a fuel source, but anything that creates it is... I was referring to peoples choices of sources of hydrogen.

Russ.

BoyntonStu
06-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Stu,

I personally want to save money while saving our environment.

I agree the algae is very promising, however, we should also consider that it is still a hydrocarbon and will still produce emissions. More efficient burning will reduce emissions, however, I don't think it could equal the emission free combustion of hydrogen produced from a green source. I hope that the fuel derived from the algae turns out to be a good enough quality to allow full breakdown of the molecular chains and hence efficient combustion.

Once again, it's about personal choice. I'm not saying that hydrogen is the energy of the future, we simply don't have the knowledge yet to make that a definite fact.

I realize that hydrogen is not a fuel source, but anything that creates it is... I was referring to peoples choices of sources of hydrogen.

Russ.

Russ,

Can you think of any other fuel that eats CO2 and can produce 10,000 gallons of oil per acre?

Isn't CO2 the major emission concern?

Hydrogen: Do you believe that we can produce Hydrogen to fuel a car with less energy waste than other methods?

Painless
06-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Russ,

Can you think of any other fuel that eats CO2 and can produce 10,000 gallons of oil per acre?

Isn't CO2 the major emission concern?

Hydrogen: Do you believe that we can produce Hydrogen to fuel a car with less energy waste than other methods?
Stu,

What is the ratio of CO2 produced vs. CO2 consumed in production per gallon of algae oil? It would be great if mainstream use of this fuel could fix our current pollution levels whilst drastically reducing or even eliminating ongoing emission concerns.

As for hydrogen, current methods of production could never achieve the levels that are required to run a vehicle sized ICE. However, plasma interaction with water to both split water and combust the produced H and O to achieve piston pressure does show promise.

Russ.

BoyntonStu
06-17-2009, 08:03 PM
Stu,

What is the ratio of CO2 produced vs. CO2 consumed in production per gallon of algae oil? It would be great if mainstream use of this fuel could fix our current pollution levels whilst drastically reducing or even eliminating ongoing emission concerns.

As for hydrogen, current methods of production could never achieve the levels that are required to run a vehicle sized ICE. However, plasma interaction with water to both split water and combust the produced H and O to achieve piston pressure does show promise.

Russ.

Russ,

Good questions, and answers are needed.

I will keep my eyes open for the data.

As to plasma:

What pressure has been achieved per input energy?

Has anyone ever measured the force of a piston pushed by water/plasma?

BoyntonStu

Painless
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Russ,

Good questions, and answers are needed.

I will keep my eyes open for the data.

As to plasma:

What pressure has been achieved per input energy?

Has anyone ever measured the force of a piston pushed by water/plasma?

BoyntonStu
Stu,

When I have my misfire issue sorted, I plan to design and build a test rig that will allow me to measure the exerted force from the plasma water explosion. Not decided how I am going to do the actual measuring yet though, I was thinking that I could create some kind of barrel out of which I could shoot a projectile of known mass and use height / distance to calculate the force.

Russ.

BoyntonStu
06-18-2009, 12:33 AM
Stu,

When I have my misfire issue sorted, I plan to design and build a test rig that will allow me to measure the exerted force from the plasma water explosion. Not decided how I am going to do the actual measuring yet though, I was thinking that I could create some kind of barrel out of which I could shoot a projectile of known mass and use height / distance to calculate the force.

Russ.

Russ,

A .22 Cal plasma rifle?

How about a simple cylinder/pressure gauge?

BTW You may find this interesting/inspiring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzEqfRVeOA

BoyntonStu

Painless
06-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Russ,

A .22 Cal plasma rifle?

How about a simple cylinder/pressure gauge?

BTW You may find this interesting/inspiring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLzEqfRVeOA

BoyntonStu
I suppose that the oil, as well as providing less friction, also increases the air pressure seal around the pellet.

I do have a PSI gauge from an air compressor, that might be a good avenue!

BoyntonStu
06-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I suppose that the oil, as well as providing less friction, also increases the air pressure seal around the pellet.

I do have a PSI gauge from an air compressor, that might be a good avenue!

Actually, not so.

The heat of the compressed air causes the oil to ignite (like in a Diesel) and the increased pressure drives the pellet velocity to above the speed of sound.

That is why it is called a "Dieseling pellet".

BoyntonStu

truckman1966
06-19-2009, 03:51 AM
Russ,

BoyntonStu

Then go buy a damn bike and quit wasting your own energy dragging everyone else down on the site. now i remember why i haven't been on here in over a month