PDA

View Full Version : Problems with drycell

egzzr
06-14-2009, 02:11 AM
Hi all!
I got a 6X6inch 316L plates +nnnn-nnnn+nnnn-nnnn+ config. 3 Tablespoon of Caustic Soda (NaOH) in 1Litter of destilled water.
The first run was amazing!!! Up to 3LPM@15AMPs, got it running fine for 2 or 3 days and low temps (around 60°C to 71°C), then got the production down to 0.5LPM@5AMPs, I thought it was the distilled water in the bubbler going backwards to the electrolyte reservoir and thinning the electrolyte. Fixed it, but still low production.
Decided to tear the gen apart, and found that the plates were brown on the low end. I´ve read so far in this forum, that I need to treat the plates before using them (put them into a NaOH solution overnight), then use them at low amps (5Amps) for two or three days, then filter the electrolyte an put it back again in the reservoir, finally tear apart the generator, rinse the plates with destilled water and put it back together.
The question is, should I sand the plates to get them bright again, or should I leave them like the are after rinsing them?

I´m very confused!!! Could some one help me out?

Best regards
Enrique

egzzr
06-17-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi guys!!!
Just to let you know that I´ve found the solution to my problem:

1st. The location of the electrolytic reservoir and the cell were far apart, causing some water pressure over the output of the cell, so inside the cell the amount of hho, had to be big enough to push the bubbles through the long hose, so the plate´s area in contact with the electrolyte was very small, reducing the production. SOLUTION: looked for a closer place between the reservoir and the cell.
2nd. the amount of hho production was contaminated with water vapor, so decided to reduce the cell config to +nnn-nnn+nnn-nnn+ and lower the amp draw with the pwm @ 8KHz and 50%. I´m drawing around 10-12amps and production between 1.2 and 1LPM.

I changed the electrolyte to KOH flakes instead of NaOH, works cleaner. But the flakes I´m using its composed on 88 or 85% KOH and the rest is iron, chlorine (in very low percentage and which may affect the 316L SS plates), and some other chemicals that I don´t remember at the moment (forgot the tech specs. sheet at home).

Hope this solution might help some of the members.

Best Regards.

Enrique.
PS. I´m into Cosmetics Sales.