PDA

View Full Version : general questions & observations

Smitty
06-03-2009, 04:19 PM
hey guys
long time fabricator / modifier / Time the tool man lol, wanting to start using hho.
Been researching for a few months, & bought the gas4free books online for 97 bucks; now I see that may have not been a good choice, but oh well....

Wondering do I need a PWM AND a EFIE?? I didn't see anywhere written & wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask. Planning on getting an EFIE anyways, & wondered if you need them both. Wanting to put a system in my Dodge cummins diesel & gas caravan, & maybe a few of my other cars.

Debating whether to build the gas4free style, or have seen some kits on ebay that look pretty well built using housings similar to home water filtering systems.
I'm thinking I may need a bigger setup for the diesel; is there such a thing as too much hyd output? One on ebay claimed the 2 cell (w/ 16 plates each) put out about 5 liters per minute off a cold start. I could put in a shutoff valve I spose to regulate it if need be.
Any help would be great-thanks!!

Q-Hack!
06-03-2009, 05:20 PM
hey guys
long time fabricator / modifier / Time the tool man lol, wanting to start using hho.
Been researching for a few months, & bought the gas4free books online for 97 bucks; now I see that may have not been a good choice, but oh well....

Wondering do I need a PWM AND a EFIE?? I didn't see anywhere written & wasn't sure, so I thought I'd ask. Planning on getting an EFIE anyways, & wondered if you need them both. Wanting to put a system in my Dodge cummins diesel & gas caravan, & maybe a few of my other cars.

Debating whether to build the gas4free style, or have seen some kits on ebay that look pretty well built using housings similar to home water filtering systems.
I'm thinking I may need a bigger setup for the diesel; is there such a thing as too much hyd output? One on ebay claimed the 2 cell (w/ 16 plates each) put out about 5 liters per minute off a cold start. I could put in a shutoff valve I spose to regulate it if need be.
Any help would be great-thanks!!

Well, from experience, if you are a fabricator / modifier / Tim the tool man type, it is definitely worth your time to build your own.

PWMs and EFIEs do different things...

The PWM is designed to reduce the current to the cell such that you don't have runaway heat. They are nice, but not completely necessary. You can always limit your current by adjusting the amount of electrolyte saturation.

The EFIE is designed to lean out the fuel to the engine on ECU controlled vehicles. It is not needed if you have a careurated engine; then you just need to lean out the jets. The idea behind an EFIE is to trick the ECU into thinking the O2 sensor is seeing less oxygen than it does. This has the effect of leaning out the fuel going to the engine. If you do decide to lean out the engine, I highly recommend getting an EGT gauge. These are designed to measure the exhaust gas temperatures. It will tell you weather or not you are leaning out the engine too much. Going too lean is dangerous for the engine.

The gas4free design is an open bath type with no attempt to limit stray currents and thus not very efficient. Better to go with the dry cell design, where the edges of the plates are not exposed to electrolyte. As to whether the amount of HHO can be too much... the current thought is no. There are claims of seeing good results with 1-2 LPM of HHO per litre of engine size. Some people see no gains at all. Only testing various quantities on your vehicle will tell you the answer. Good luck!

Philldpapill
06-03-2009, 07:21 PM
The key isn't so much how MUCH hydrogen is produced, but how much per unit of energy. In other words, you want to make the gas as efficiently as possible. I mean, if you are make just a couple of bubbles, and your car is REALLY straining just to do that, then you probably won't get any benefit.

The key to highest efficiency, is to make your current density as low as possible. This means that you want the least amount of current flowing through your water as possible. When current is flowing, heat is produced, and this heat is wasted energy that COULD have gone into producing hydrogen.

Just food for thought.

Smitty
06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
is there a way to lean out the jets by adjustment, or do you have to pull them out & put smaller jets in? I'm not fond of fiddling with carbs-usually makes things worse when I do :rolleyes: