PDA

View Full Version : Reservior/Bubbler vacuum problem...possible solution?

cmac0351
05-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I was thinking of putting an extra hose barb in the top of my reservoir with a short length of hose and a check valve that flows toward the inside of the bubbler.

When a vacuum is created due to cooling inside, air will be able to come in through the check valve.

Will this keep the reservoir from sucking water from the bubbler?

BoyntonStu
05-29-2009, 10:21 AM
I was thinking of putting an extra hose barb in the top of my reservoir with a short length of hose and a check valve that flows toward the inside of the bubbler.

When a vacuum is created due to cooling inside, air will be able to come in through the check valve.

Will this keep the reservoir from sucking water from the bubbler?

It may be OK if it does not leak, etc.

Have you considered adding a reverse bubbler between the reservoir and your bubbler?

Not only will it prevent suck back, but it can be designed to keep your reservoir replenished to a minimum level.

BoyntonStu

cmac0351
05-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Well, I do plan on using 2 bubblers, one with water and one with vinegar, both with sintered brass filters on the ends of the hose to create small bubblers.

How would a reverse bubbler work? I don't know what that is.

BoyntonStu
05-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, I do plan on using 2 bubblers, one with water and one with vinegar, both with sintered brass filters on the ends of the hose to create small bubblers.

How would a reverse bubbler work? I don't know what that is.

OK

Out of your reservoir into the top of the reverse bubbler (no diptube)

Out of the reverse bubbler using a diptube into a distille water bubbler diptube.

IOW diptube to diptube.

The reverse bubbler will siphon distilled water back into itself.

I suggest that you place a piece of aluminum foil into your final bubbler as a telltale to determine whether it is being eaten by electrolyte.

BoyntonStu

cmac0351
05-29-2009, 12:44 PM
So the gas will travel down through the water and up through the dip tube in the reverse bubbler?

BoyntonStu
05-29-2009, 12:49 PM
So the gas will travel down through the water and up through the dip tube in the reverse bubbler?

The gas will first force the fluid back from the reverse bubbler back into the bubbler using the immersed diptube.

BoyntonStu

cmac0351
05-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Right, that is what I thought it would do, so then the bubblers can only be half full. Or start the reverse bubbler empty, so it only gets the water when the vacuum is created. Not a bad idea.

DodgeViper
05-29-2009, 03:36 PM
I suggest that you place a piece of aluminum foil into your final bubbler as a telltale to determine whether it is being eaten by electrolyte.
BoyntonStu

Another method of testing is to use PH test strips. Vinegar has a PH of 3.1 while distilled water has a PH of 7.0. Potassium Hydroxide has a PH above 12. Keeping the PH within the vinegar bubbler between 3.1 and 7.0 would be AOK.

Just my two cents... Seems to me this would give a more accurate test of the PH within the final bubbler than a peice of foil... When the PH begins to increase towards 7.0 then you simply change the white vinegar...

cmac0351: How did your check valve turn out?

http://www.dynamicaqua.com/ph_files/TEST-STRIPS.jpg

http://www.spiraxsarco.com/images/resources/steam-engineering-tutorials/3/9/Fig_3_9_7.gif

BoyntonStu
05-29-2009, 04:43 PM
PH strips vs Aluminum.

I have no idea of how long a submerged test strip will be effective.

It would be interesting to use both and see what happens.

My fear is whether or not the gas/moisture entering my engine will effect it in any negative way.

Similar to bringing a canary into a mine. If the canary dies, the miners leave.

If there no bubbles on the aluminum foil, there will not be any corrosion of you aluminum engine.

BoyntonStu

BoyntonStu
05-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Right, that is what I thought it would do, so then the bubblers can only be half full. Or start the reverse bubbler empty, so it only gets the water when the vacuum is created. Not a bad idea.

Start the reverse bubbler empty would be my choice.

It will empty out as soon as the gas starts anyhow.

BoyntonStu

DodgeViper
05-29-2009, 04:57 PM
PH strips vs Aluminum.

I have no idea of how long a submerged test strip will be effective.
BoyntonStu

I am not stating to leave the test strip in the vinegar but just to test it every once in a while, but that brings up a interesting thought. How about placing a test strip in the line going to the intake. It would have to be placed in such a manner that it is not pulled into the intake. Maybe in a clear plastic tube so that a visual of the test strip can be seen.

cmac0351
06-02-2009, 08:49 PM
I am planning on running with 2 bubblers, 1 with water and one with vinegar. Will the water bubbler suck vinegar, or is it just the reservoir that will suck from the first bubbler.

I built a reverse bubbler like boynton described, and that works great between the first bubbler and reservoir.

mytoyotasucks
06-03-2009, 12:56 AM
I am planning on running with 2 bubblers, 1 with water and one with vinegar. Will the water bubbler suck vinegar, or is it just the reservoir that will suck from the first bubbler.

I built a reverse bubbler like boynton described, and that works great between the first bubbler and reservoir.

how about a diagram, thanx D