PDA

View Full Version : Voltage Question

JeremiahBT
05-26-2009, 11:52 PM
I built my cell – n n n n n n + n n n n n n –

My electrolyte is sodium acetate (I don’t want to worry about caustics damaging my aluminum throttle body or the copper tubing that feeds my cell).

The problem is that my cell doesn’t draw enough amps because the voltage is too low for my weak electrolyte.

My solution (having failed to find a suitable electrolyte) is to run my cell at 24 volts until it heats the water sufficiently to draw current at a more efficient 12 volts.

I propose to do this in the following way: I will build two circuits for my cell; (1) Negative from car battery to cell. Positive to switch/relay to cell. (2) Negative from car battery to cell. Positive to switch/relay, to negative of auxiliary battery, [this is where the voltage is multiplied (two 12s in series)] from positive to cell. A switch will alternate between these two circuits so that they are never both complete at the same time.

Theoretically, the electronics in my car are completely isolated from this circuit (running parallel), so I shouldn’t have any problems.

Can anyone tell me if there are any problems with this 24 volt circuit, and also whether there might be a better way to achieve sufficient current draw with my cell?

I will not use potassium or sodium hydroxide, and I don’t want to use inefficient electronics to step up the voltage.

Thanks very much!

Roland Jacques
05-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Citric acid
Kool Aid, lemonade.

Start with a little and add more until you get what you want. Your cell may run hot because your limited amount of N plates. For 24 volts 10 - 12 neutral plates may work better then you could try full concentration electrolyte