PDA

View Full Version : Membrane

username
05-20-2009, 12:34 AM
I read awhile back about a membrane that is placed between the positive and negative electrodes to separate the oxygen and hydrogen into separate chambers so that you don’t have to worry about the O2 sensor. I can’t remember what it was called and I’m looking for it to buy it now. Any help would be appreciated.

Q-Hack!
05-20-2009, 02:26 PM
I read awhile back about a membrane that is placed between the positive and negative electrodes to separate the oxygen and hydrogen into separate chambers so that you don’t have to worry about the O2 sensor. I can’t remember what it was called and I’m looking for it to buy it now. Any help would be appreciated.

I Think you may be referring to the conversation about the technique used in the book "The chemistry and manufacture of hydrogen" written in 1919 by Teed, P. Litherland. http://www.archive.org/details/chemistrymanufac00teedrich In it he describes using an asbestos membrane to separate hydrogen and oxygen. Unfortunately, It doesn't go into details on how to make/obtain such a membrane.

I suspect that even if you do manage to separate the H from the O you will still have to fiddle with the O2 sensor. The reason for this is not because of the excess O2 in the system, but rather it is just a means to lean out the engine. You could get the same results by fiddleing with the MAP/MAF sensors. All you are doing is fooling the ECU into thinking that there is less O2 than there really is and the ECU leans out the fuel mixture. The MAP/MAF method tells the ECU that there is less atmospheric pressure (like driving at altitude) and leans out the fuel mixture. One of the two methods will still have to be accomplished to see any gains in MPG.