PDA

View Full Version : Some Questions?

sima.z
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Hello, to all, congratulation for such a great site.

I am A Canadian, currently living in Colombia, S.A. I have experimenting for 3 months so far with a few conclusions, Dry cells are better, there IS NOT 316SS here so I got to work with 304 SS cells,
Currently I am using:
-9 plates 5' 0.8 mm of my design like this: -NNN+NNN- (moving into 0.9mm) with:
-2 holes of 12mm, O-rings of 4 inches of different width ( since those are scare and apart)
-Baking soda with mix results. (fortunately KOH is easy to find with no restrictions here in Colombia; so moving into it, as I veĀ“ been reading on this forum ) (So it is easy to find pure Caustic Soda (SOH)
Any recommendation of the type and sides of the o-rings/ plates?; so what will be the distance recommended between each cell??
Does the thickness of the plates affect AMPS?? ) witch will you recommend?
Distilled Alcohol works? ( easy to find here )
Thanks for the info and recommendations and please forgive me if I overwhelm you with questions
SIMA.z

crazyhydrogen
05-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Hello, well first you can order metel over the internet, any kind you want. There is a place in Seattle, Washington called online metals that has a good selection: http://www.onlinemetals.com. Dry cells seem to be the way everybody is going but the one problem with them is they are flat. Cylinder's, I have found, do very well for output versous amps and you don't waste all that metal on neutral plates. to each his own. The thickness of the plates won't affect your amperage since even the thinest plate will have the surface area to safley conduct what you desire. Although get to thin and they may warp and touch.
What aer you doing with the alcohol? winter operations?

sima.z
05-18-2009, 11:24 PM
Thanks for quick response, as you see I am in Colombia South America, perhaps difficult to ship metals from Seattle and very expensive, It is interesting your reply about the thickness of the plates, I understood the ticker the plate = more resistant, therefore more amps?? I will like to be sure of this.
In regards Alcohol, I read it some where on the net, perhaps is required for winter times,
If I found the source I will sent it to you, I have been trough lots of info, so far
May be now that you point out , is about regular VINEGAR I meant, I used it with no results yet.
My cell as described before, is getting 0.5 Lpm or more, at 8amps (can find a real Amps tester here so I made one out of two soda bottles pops), and getting about 20% increase on a Subaru 4x4 1982 with over 250.000 miles also at 5000- 7000 feet of altitude, over sea level,
2 others on 2 Mercedez Benz 1966 ( collector cars) with no concrete results as yet
Comments? Sure on the thickness of the plates?
Let me know, sure will be appreciated and thank you
SIMA.z

crazyhydrogen
05-18-2009, 11:48 PM
Yeah I'm not sure what shipping would be to South America, I saw canadian and assumed B.C.. Don't know the laws either, can you import from brazil?
The soda bottle gage is as good as any. I sold a PWM to a guy here in the state using a dry cell. He was getting 5 lpm before and 8 lpm after the PWM addition. Might want to try that if your looking for more outputif you don't have one.
I'm sure of the thickness, Unless your going from 1/16" to 1/4" difference it's not really a concern the resistance difference will be so minute compared to the resistance of the water. might want to play with the gap between them though to find the best spacing:amperage:output ratio gets the result you desire.

Are you using the vinagar as electrolyte?
Mixed with water?

sima.z
05-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Hi Again, did try regular Vinager with not results
I am only working with Carburators in my old cars, later will get into PMW
Now what thickness of the O-rings, will you suguest for my configuration?
Let me know and thanks
SIMA.z

crazyhydrogen
05-19-2009, 12:34 AM
yeah the PWM is for the cell doesn't matter if you carburated or efi.

Not sure about the o-ring size because I'm not familiar with what size they will be when you squeeze your plates. you want about .0625 to .100 gap

sima.z
05-20-2009, 09:25 AM
yeah the PWM is for the cell doesn't matter if you carburated or efi.

Not sure about the o-ring size because I'm not familiar with what size they will be when you squeeze your plates. you want about .0625 to .100 gap

Thanks again,
Hi saw your web, (nice Web) not sure how works exactly but I will pay attention to it closely
Up to your previous response, this meant, the least gap the better the efficiency? I intented to use 0.8 inch for now.
Cheers again
Sima.z