PDA

View Full Version : PWM Questions...

bigjim56
05-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Hello,

I just recieved 2 PWM's from Bakatronics and had a question on how to install/implement them into my HHO system without blowing a fuse.
My knowledge in electronics is limited, but I do have an idea on how they work and I do know that I need one to get the most efficiency from my dry cells. When I was first running my dry cell at 8-10 amps, and then strengthened the electrolite (KOH) to an 18 amp solution, my dry cell was really producing HHO at a considerably higher output, so I understand that at a consistant 20 Amp, it will give me more and quicker HHO production.

These PWM's have a dial that is used for the amperage setting, I would assume I would have to constantly monitor the amperage as I'm adding KOH and when I'm close to the 20 amp limit, find the setting that no longer increases when more KOH is added? Inscribe this setting into the dial indicator for future reference, correct?

Does these PWM's constantly turn on/off the power supply at the 20 Amp setting? Do they need to be mounted in an airflow area to dissipate heat?
They came without a cover, should I fabricate one to keep dust out, that will just cause more heat buildup.

They are both 30 amp PWM's. I will be using one at 20 amp for my car, while the other will be at 30 amp for my truck. Anymore heat issues with the 30 amp? I think the 20 amp setup is OK, but the 30 amp usage I question.

Thanks everyone ahead of time for their inputs,

bigjim56

H2OPWR
05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Hello,

I just recieved 2 PWM's from Bakatronics and had a question on how to install/implement them into my HHO system without blowing a fuse.
My knowledge in electronics is limited, but I do have an idea on how they work and I do know that I need one to get the most efficiency from my dry cells. When I was first running my dry cell at 8-10 amps, and then strengthened the electrolite (KOH) to an 18 amp solution, my dry cell was really producing HHO at a considerably higher output, so I understand that at a consistant 20 Amp, it will give me more and quicker HHO production.

These PWM's have a dial that is used for the amperage setting, I would assume I would have to constantly monitor the amperage as I'm adding KOH and when I'm close to the 20 amp limit, find the setting that no longer increases when more KOH is added? Inscribe this setting into the dial indicator for future reference, correct?

Does these PWM's constantly turn on/off the power supply at the 20 Amp setting? Do they need to be mounted in an airflow area to dissipate heat?
They came without a cover, should I fabricate one to keep dust out, that will just cause more heat buildup.

They are both 30 amp PWM's. I will be using one at 20 amp for my car, while the other will be at 30 amp for my truck. Anymore heat issues with the 30 amp? I think the 20 amp setup is OK, but the 30 amp usage I question.

Thanks everyone ahead of time for their inputs,

bigjim56

bigjim, At 20 amps those PWM's will not overheat and no fan will be needed. As Shane said you will not be able to just set and forget. I am using similar PWM's and although you do not have to mess with them constantly you may have to adjust them once in a while as your cell warms up. You will need to have an amp meter and the ability to adjust them on the fly if your goal is to stay at exactly 20 amps. To do what you describe would take a constant current PWM like Shane sells. I probably have to adjust mine once a day or so after the cell warms up some.

Yes they operate by constantly turning the power off and on to limit current draw.

Larry

bigjim56
05-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Thanks Shane/Larry,

I recently purchased a Mastech MS2102 for my cell work, I will keep it on board for this purpose. Most of my drives are to/from work (15-20 min.) So I figure a much longer drive would need a tweek or two.

Thanks,

bigjim56