PDA

View Full Version : Foaming, Cell level issues...

bigjim56
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Hellp,

Haven't posted in a while, but have viewed the newer threads frequently.

I just recently installed my dry cell in my car and have been running with it for about a week or two. It's doing fine, but some issues have come up that are bothering me. I want to get this right.

It foams to the point of carryover somtimes getting to the reservoir effluent and contaminating my bubbler water. I have pitched the reservoir to where the exit hole is as close to the top as possible. I imagine hard sloshing could lead to risidual carryover now, but I limit hard braking & acceleration.

I now have the reservoir 1/2 full to try and eliminate the carryover from getting to the exit hole, but now the cell is showing a lower than flooded level
(about 1-1 1/2" below the effluent cell hole) and so now its running at less than 100 % contact area. It seems I cure one problem and another crops up. Wack-a-mole. I believe there was a thread here where someone added an anti-foaming chemical and that did the trick for them.

Also, the cell loop gets warm and is siphoning my bubbler water out. By cell loop, I mean the cell/reservoir closed loop, before it gets to the bubbler. This loop is warming up and then, when cooling, it creates a vacuum that siphons out some bubbler water. I was going to put a check valve between the cell/reservoir loop and the bubbler to eliminate this. If I remember correctly, these are special low pressure/low volume in line check valves. I was hoping someone had a link to these check valves.

I appreciate any advice or thoughts that anyone can contribute to this link concerning my latest drama.

Thanks,

bigjim56

H2OPWR
05-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Hellp,

Haven't posted in a while, but have viewed the newer threads frequently.

I just recently installed my dry cell in my car and have been running with it for about a week or two. It's doing fine, but some issues have come up that are bothering me. I want to get this right.

It foams to the point of carryover somtimes getting to the reservoir effluent and contaminating my bubbler water. I have pitched the reservoir to where the exit hole is as close to the top as possible. I imagine hard sloshing could lead to risidual carryover now, but I limit hard braking & acceleration.

I now have the reservoir 1/2 full to try and eliminate the carryover from getting to the exit hole, but now the cell is showing a lower than flooded level
(about 1-1 1/2" below the effluent cell hole) and so now its running at less than 100 % contact area. It seems I cure one problem and another crops up. Wack-a-mole. I believe there was a thread here where someone added an anti-foaming chemical and that did the trick for them.

Also, the cell loop gets warm and is siphoning my bubbler water out. By cell loop, I mean the cell/reservoir closed loop, before it gets to the bubbler. This loop is warming up and then, when cooling, it creates a vacuum that siphons out some bubbler water. I was going to put a check valve between the cell/reservoir loop and the bubbler to eliminate this. If I remember correctly, these are special low pressure/low volume in line check valves. I was hoping someone had a link to these check valves.

I appreciate any advice or thoughts that anyone can contribute to this link concerning my latest drama.

Thanks,

bigjim56

bigjim, You can get the check valves at www.usplastic.com. I am puzzled by the foaming. With the same exact plates I get absolutely no foam. What amp draw are you running? Over amping the cell will cause foam but I have never seen it in the bubbler before. You will need a check valve or you will always drain the bubbler.

Larry

bigjim56
05-06-2009, 12:34 PM
Larry,

The cell is drawing approx. 18.5 - 19.0 amps. I'm holding it there because its a 20 amp supply and I have'nt got the PWM yet. Will order that probably today or tomorrow. I tried a little something yesterday that seems to have helped quite a bit. I took one of the skinny porous green scrub pads and formed a sock. Using 2 small plastic ties, I fitted it over the end of the inner tube to where it rests opposite side of the exit hole. Took a short drive and there was almost no foam when done. My concern now is if this pad starts to deteriorate, so I'm watching the reservoir bottom very closely. I think a stainless brillo pad would work also, w/no concern of deterioration. I think the foam mainly results from the lower level of the operating cell. It looks to be boiling the electrolite maybe, if it was flooded thoroughly, I don't think the foaming would be much of an issue.

I cut a corner of the cell so it would sink lower in the engine compartment so as to allow for a lower level than the reservoir. Then I added electrolite to increase the head, trying to increase the cell level. It worked a little, but the running level is still down 1" or so from the top effluent hole. I also am using a check valve that I "T" ed in line between the reservoir and bubbler. After the drive, I saw the bubbler water expand (vacuum from cell cooldown) up to the check valve and then slowly back off. I've got plenty of room for an extended hose here, so I can loop a line if necessary to get additional expansion hose room. This check valve that I'm currently using is from my bikes air filtration unit that I had sitting around, it works very well, but its not designed for this situation obviously. My only other check valves that I have are the W4Gas type, and I felt the bike valve was better. Thanks for the link for the check valves. Will put an order in for some.

Thanks,

bigjim56

hhoconnection
05-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Try using foam disperser from a pool store. It is used in hot tubs to control foam. Pour a tiny amount in your reservoir and you will kill all the foam. Here is a link to a video I did on this subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0gTi...e=channel_page

Good Luck!