PDA

View Full Version : Whats a "Scrubber"?

Mulenson
05-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Whats a scrubber and how do I build one? Working on a system for a Ford 7.3 deisel. Anyone else?

Q-Hack!
05-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Whats a scrubber and how do I build one? Working on a system for a Ford 7.3 deisel. Anyone else?

There are many designs out there. Most involve a container of distilled water that the HHO gas is bubbled through such that it removes (scrubs) any residual NaOH or KOH from the gas. They are also referred to as bubblers. Whatever you wish to call them you do need at least one to remove any corrosive properties before you send the HHO to the engine.

I make mine out of 4 inch PVC pipe. Some people get quite creative with there building techniques and you will see all sorts of clear tubes that allow you to see the bubbles. I am more of a function over form kind of guy, so I just use what is cheap.

truckman1966
05-06-2009, 01:08 AM
i have also read some people putting a diluted acid solution in their bubbler. such as distilled vinegar. i'm assuming to help the pH of the bubbler?

WaltherPP9mm
06-11-2009, 11:45 AM
It definitely helps. If you are using a basic electrolyte, such as KOH, just make the water in the scrubber (bubbler) slightly acid by adding some acid to the water. Vinegar (acethic acid) works fine and it is cheap.

I am now experimenting on a cell using slightly acid electrolyte (H2SO4). Obviously, in my case, the PH of the watter in the scrubber has to be opposite, therefore I had to add a small amount of NaOH.

I am using acid electrolyte mainly because I wasn't able to find a good source for KOH. LOL.