PDA

View Full Version : Could this steam engine work?

HHO BLASTER
05-04-2009, 01:02 PM
http://www.keelynet.com/energy/microeng.htm

Microwave Water Engine - 02/27/99
The following information describes a conceptual model for an engine that might run on water exploded with microwave energy. It is provided SOLELY as entertainment and we in no way are indicating that you should experiment with such a dangerous process. Bill Beaty first posted this as you can check out at the following URL http://www.eskimo.com/~bilb/freenrgl/magnet.txt

If you have questions about the idea, please email Steve Ferguson.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Jerry,

Here's a little email note I received recently, I though I would pass on to you. - SteveF
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am posting the following for a friend who does NOT have access to Internet. Comments welcomed.

NOTICE

The prupose of this notice is to place into public domain something which I invented so that it may not be patented and in order to prevent it's use from being restricted in any way.

The device is an engine in which small quantities of water are turned into steam by the use of a magnetron (as found in microwave ovens).

Interested parties may wish to try this test: Place a few drops of water into a clear plastic 35mm film roll holder and put the cap on the film roll holder.

Place in a microwave oven and turn the oven on. The 'pop' is the result of the water turning suddenly into steam.

The engine I have invented is far more efficient than any other steam engine because the efficiency of the magnetron in turning water into steam.

In fact, the water droplet 'explodes' very much like air/gasoline explodes in a conventional internal combustion engine.

This engine was first tested in 1992. I am however unable to invest the required capital to produce a more sophisticated model and therefore unable to patent it. Even though I may not be able to profit from this technology, it is too good to be kept to myself and I would like to spread it around so that others may be able to use it.

The following is an outline of how to construct the device and a few cautions:

PARTS NEEDED:

1. Magnetron from medium power microwave oven.

2. Small 4-stroke single cylinder lawn mover engine or similar engine with 'old style' points and ignition system.

3. Automotive alternator with built-in rectifier and regulator, also a 12 volt auto battery.

4. "Trigger" mechanism from an aircraft "strobe" landing light.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. The magnetron fits into the spark plug hole.

2. The distributor points are modified so that the contact is closed when the piston is at the top dead center and this contact is used to activate the aircraft strobe mechanism.

3. The high voltage from the strobe is connected to directly fire the magnetron which in turn produces steam which moves the piston.

4. The engine turns the alternator which keeps the battery charged, which supplies the electrical power for the magnetron.

CAUTION AND TIPS:

WARNING!!! DANGER!!!!

1. Be careful around the magnetron. KEEP IT SHIELDED WITH METAL. IT CAN CAUSE SEVERE BURNS THAT MAY NOT BE READILY VISIBLE WHEN THEY FIRST OCCUR.

2. The 'strobe' trigger delivers a very high voltage which can jump to ground. WEAR RUBBER SOLED SHOES AND INSULATE WELL.

3. Be sure to modify the distributor points so they close at the top dead center. Timing advance depends on the power of the magnetron used and the amount of water. Try different carb jet sizes -- drill out if needed.

4. Due to variables, don't expect high engine speeds without a little experimentation due to variables.

5. Start with a fully charged battery or your alternator won't work.

6. The energy produced is in excess of the power required to run the alternator but until you get the RPM up, and the parts wrking in harmony, it may be best to use a battery charger instead of an alternator.

7. An easy way to measure net power output after you have the alternator on line is to run a few 12 volt lights from the battery. You will see that the battery stays charged even with the lights on and the motor keeps on going.

8. Although I have not tried it, the idea of vaporizing water with microwaves should also work well in a converted turbine.

BoyntonStu
05-05-2009, 07:21 PM
"3. The high voltage from the strobe is connected to directly fire the magnetron which in turn produces steam which moves the piston."

I have placed water in my 1,000 Watt microwave oven and it will turn into steam in about 90 seconds.

I cannot imagine any magnetron doing it faster with less power.

BoyntonStu

HHO BLASTER
05-05-2009, 09:06 PM
"3. The high voltage from the strobe is connected to directly fire the magnetron which in turn produces steam which moves the piston."

I have placed water in my 1,000 Watt microwave oven and it will turn into steam in about 90 seconds.

BoyntonStu

How many drops of water converted to steam would it take to make useable work

Q-Hack!
05-05-2009, 09:06 PM

BoyntonStu

A magnetron in its standard use, no... but perhaps a plasma field could be implemented. I have seen people create a plasma field in a microwave. Plasma would be hot enough to generate steam almost instantly for a given small amount of water. May have to think this one out a bit further...

BoyntonStu
05-05-2009, 09:13 PM
How many drops of water converted to steam would it take to make useable work

Steam engine designers would know.

However, look at your tea kettle when it is boiling away like crazy.

Do you believe that a pot full of steaming water would power your 3000 lb. car a mile at 50 MPH (2,500 RPM)?

BoyntonStu

HHO BLASTER
05-05-2009, 09:19 PM
Steam engine designers would know.

However, look at your tea kettle when it is boiling away like crazy.

Do you believe that a pot full of steaming water would power your 3000 lb. car a mile at 50 MPH (2,500 RPM)?

BoyntonStu

No i don't but...

Jaxom
05-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Look at the old steam locomotives back in the 1800's...they moved a lot more weight at respectable speeds with only two cylinders (although big ones.) Of course, they generated the steam in a boiler and then directed it to the cylinders, but the principle is the same.

BoyntonStu
05-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Look at the old steam locomotives back in the 1800's...they moved a lot more weight at respectable speeds with only two cylinders (although big ones.) Of course, they generated the steam in a boiler and then directed it to the cylinders, but the principle is the same.

"Of course, they generated the steam in a boiler and then directed it to the cylinders, but the principle is the same."

What exactly are you attempting to say?

Which principles are the same?

BoyntonStu

Q-Hack!
05-08-2009, 02:31 AM
While converting a ICE into a steam engine is probably out of the question, there was a car that did run on steam back in the day. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Steamer

Not sure how big the boiler was in one of these, but in theory one could replace the fire with another form of heat... say plasma... and make it work. Would it be more efficient than a current ICE? Probably not, but it might be fun to build.

Franky
05-08-2009, 08:13 AM
127 mph (205 kmh) in 1906 with a steam car... wow thats amazing!... what a feeling that must have given...........

Jaxom
05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Which principles are the same?

The whole concept of using steam pressure to drive a piston and thereby generate mechanical power. I'm not saying that this will work to run a car, only that you can't write it off so easily. Making horsepower and making tea are very different things.

BoyntonStu
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
The whole concept of using steam pressure to drive a piston and thereby generate mechanical power. I'm not saying that this will work to run a car, only that you can't write it off so easily. Making horsepower and making tea are very different things.

"I'm not saying that this will work to run a car, only that you can't write it off so easily."

What is the "it"?

BoyntonStu