PDA

View Full Version : Poll... What is your 12 volt DC source?

HHO BLASTER
04-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Poll...
What are you using for a 12 battery test source?

In your car, your HHO generator will receive approximately 13.8 volts DC with no 60 cycle AC ripple.

1. A 12 volt battery on a work bench

2. A 12 volt battery on a work bench with a trickle battery charger hooked to it

3. A 12 volt battery on a work bench with a high current battery charger hooked to it

4. A 12 volt power supply that can support 20 amps

5. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 20 amps

6. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 50 amps

7. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 100 amps

8. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 100 amps with out any AC ripple

9. A 1.5 volt to 15 volt power supply that can support 100 amps with out any AC ripple

HHO BLASTER
04-23-2009, 04:06 PM
What is AC ripple? it's Alternating current (http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_1/1.html) It can vary depending how much current your pulling from your supply, another reason your data can be off, and why is it bad, is because it's not in the engine and would give you false results on a bench test. Your engine uses pure DC so why not use a test set up using pure DC

BoyntonStu
04-23-2009, 04:37 PM
[QUOTE=HHO BLASTER;27478]Poll...
What are you using for a 12 battery test source?

6. A 13.8 volt power supply that can support 50 amps

With no AC ripple.

Hats off to you if you can offer:

9. A 1.5 volt to 15 volt power supply that can support 100 amps with out any AC ripple

I would be very impressed.

BoyntonStu

Roland Jacques
04-23-2009, 05:50 PM
3 or 7 or none of the above.
Variable current Battery charger 12-19 volts (depending on which charging mode used) up to 200 amps

Looking forward to more on the 1-15 volt 100 amp unit .

Q-Hack!
04-23-2009, 06:54 PM
Hate to say it, unless you are using a straight battery, there will always be some form of AC ripple voltage on any DC power supply. Some are better than others. Generally, if you have less than 10mv of ripple voltage, you have a decent power supply.

Even batteries will sometimes show a ripple voltage depending on how long your leads are from the battery and how much RFI is in your area. Though, technically that wouldn't be considered ripple voltage, it just looks like it.

Ripple voltage is easy to measure, if you have an oscilloscope. Otherwise you probably don't need to worry about it.

HHO BLASTER
04-23-2009, 07:49 PM
Hate to say it, unless you are using a straight battery, there will always be some form of AC ripple voltage on any DC power supply. Some are better than others. Generally, if you have less than 10mv of ripple voltage, you have a decent power supply.

Even batteries will sometimes show a ripple voltage depending on how long your leads are from the battery and how much RFI is in your area. Though, technically that wouldn't be considered ripple voltage, it just looks like it.

Ripple voltage is easy to measure, if you have an oscilloscope. Otherwise you probably don't need to worry about it.

Radio freq. ripple is not a HHO problem but if you are using a battery charger you might have 1 volt peak to peak of low freq 60 cycles ripple or even higher. The more current you drain the more ripple, throw a 5,000ufd across the output and forget about RFI

I checked my 60 cycle ripple on my home made supply with my scope and at 50 amps it's about 1MV P-P

Q-Hack!
04-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Radio freq. ripple is not a HHO problem but if you are using a battery charger you might have 1 volt peak to peak of low freq 60 cycles ripple or even higher. The more current you drain the more ripple, throw a 5,000ufd across the output and forget about RFI

Even a 1V P-P (~.7 RMS) wouldn't be too much of a concern with HHO. As long as your cell design is such that you have an average of 2V plate gap on a 12V system. Which was sort of my point. Ripple voltage isn't really that big of an issue with HHO.

I checked my 60 cycle ripple on my home made supply with my scope and at 50 amps it's about 1MV P-P

I hope you meant 1mV P-P... 1MV is a bit much :eek:

HHO BLASTER
04-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Even a 1V P-P (~.7 RMS) wouldn't be too much of a concern with HHO. As long as your cell design is such that you have an average of 2V plate gap on a 12V system. Which was sort of my point. Ripple voltage isn't really that big of an issue with HHO.

I hope you meant 1mV P-P... 1MV is a bit much :eek:

Yes, thanks for the correction, i meant 1 mv pp. i also have a dimmer switch in the primary of the MOT and it has a on off SW and a built in rfi filter. Here is the link to it, i can ajust to what ever voltage i want out of the MOT i have pushed my supply to 100 amps @ 2.5 volts the number 8 aircraft wire on the seconday gets just a little warm with out a fan i do have fans i got from the microwave were i got the free MOT right now i'm using a home made diode bridge made from 300 amp diodes i had for the last 35 years LOL

http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_IPM10-1L.htm?pid=1000&utm_source=fgl&utm_medium=prodlist&utm_term=IPM10-1L

HHO BLASTER
04-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Stu's unit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh_aKGtXCzU

mytoyotasucks
04-24-2009, 12:31 PM
A 12 volt battery on a work bench with a trickle battery charger hooked to it

HHO BLASTER
04-24-2009, 01:08 PM
A 12 volt battery on a work bench with a trickle battery charger hooked to it

Question, when your amps goes up, does your voltage stay the same, and what is it? or does it go down?

Can you increase the charger to make up the loss of voltage?

Also do you know the max amount of current your trickle battery charger can put out? :D

Gary

mytoyotasucks
04-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Question, when your amps goes up, does your voltage stay the same, and what is it? or does it go down?

Can you increase the charger to make up the loss of voltage?

Also do you know the max amount of current your trickle battery charger can put out? :D

Gary

the voltage does go down after some time, but i let it charge for a few hours first, and my charger only goes up to 5 amps.

for longer tests i use a PSU from a puter, but it cant keep the voltage up, and only 20 amps max or it breaks - ya they do where out.

Ive gone through 4 puter PSU's and then went to the battery. Not a huge battery but works ok.

Painless
04-24-2009, 03:07 PM
A wheel with a hungry hamster in it, connected to an old alternator.

H2OPWR
04-24-2009, 03:26 PM
I have 2 large 6 volt golf cart batteries hooked in series with 2 trickle chargers hooked up as well. The problem is that under heavy amp draw the chargers can not keep up and after 5 or so hours at 50 to 60 amps the voltage drops and effeciency goes down.

I plan to hook my 130 amp alternator that I removed from my Nissan to a 5.5 hp Honda engine that has a timing belt to adjust timing with. Then I can have automotive voltage up to 100 amps and experiment with an ICE and HHO. As well as water injection and maybe even plasma spark. That is down the road a little because of the costs involved in the nano plate cell.

Larry

Q-Hack!
04-24-2009, 03:32 PM
A wheel with a hungry hamster in it, connected to an old alternator.

You know... This just got me thinking... (my wife would say that is a dangerous thing). I have this old alternator that I pull out of my Saturn Vue. I also have an old swamp cooler motor (1/2 hp I think). I may put the two together and make my own DC generator... mmm...

HHO BLASTER
04-24-2009, 03:58 PM
You know... This just got me thinking... (my wife would say that is a dangerous thing). I have this old alternator that I pull out of my Saturn Vue. I also have an old swamp cooler motor (1/2 hp I think). I may put the two together and make my own DC generator... mmm...

If it's all free why not, what can the saturn alternator put out?

Q-Hack!
04-24-2009, 04:18 PM
If it's all free why not, what can the saturn alternator put out?

I really don't know... It is what ever the stock alternator is... probably something like 95 amps. Just enough to run the vehicle. The new one I just purchased is a 200 amp.

HHO BLASTER
04-24-2009, 04:26 PM
I really don't know... It is what ever the stock alternator is... probably something like 95 amps. Just enough to run the vehicle. The new one I just purchased is a 200 amp.

Wow, I wish i had a good source to buy 200 amp diodes cheap, if you know any, please let me know

Gary

H2OPWR
04-24-2009, 07:04 PM

Good idea but remember that it takes 1 hp to make 24 amps with an effecient automotive alternator. I am afraid that your 1/2 hp electric motor would not make much power. If you had an old lawn mower around or found one at a junk yard you would have enough hp but your power supply would have to be outside.

Larry

Q-Hack!
04-25-2009, 01:19 AM
Good idea but remember that it takes 1 hp to make 24 amps with an effecient automotive alternator. I am afraid that your 1/2 hp electric motor would not make much power. If you had an old lawn mower around or found one at a junk yard you would have enough hp but your power supply would have to be outside.

Larry

Good point... lets see... if I assume it is a 95 amp alternator then

12V X 95A = 1140 Watts

If one horse power is 745.7 watts then

1140 / 745.7 = 1.53 HP

So, 1.5 HP needed for maximum output (not counting inefficiencies), or

.5 X 745.7 = 372.85 / 12 = 31.07

31 amps with my 1/2 hp motor (again not counting inefficiencies).

mmm... would have been perfect for all my testing I was doing a year ago. Nowadays, I need at least twice that. I do have an old lawn mower engine that is 5 hp. Though I am not sure that the neighbours would like me running that at 10 pm (the time I am most likely to be experiment'n.)

H2OPWR
04-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Good point... lets see... if I assume it is a 95 amp alternator then

12V X 95A = 1140 Watts

If one horse power is 745.7 watts then

1140 / 745.7 = 1.53 HP

So, 1.5 HP needed for maximum output (not counting inefficiencies), or

.5 X 745.7 = 372.85 / 12 = 31.07

31 amps with my 1/2 hp motor (again not counting inefficiencies).

mmm... would have been perfect for all my testing I was doing a year ago. Nowadays, I need at least twice that. I do have an old lawn mower engine that is 5 hp. Though I am not sure that the neighbours would like me running that at 10 pm (the time I am most likely to be experiment'n.)

That is how I was calculating hp draw to turn the alternator before as well. The people at Ohio Generator that built my high amp alternator tell me that it requires alot more HP to turn the alternator than that. They say 1 hp for every 24 to 26 amps depending on the effeciency of the alternator. Seems high to me but that is what they say. Any electric motor capable of that is spendy. The best price I could find on a 3hp 240 volt electric motor was around $300.00. A new 5.5 hp Honda engine is $189.00.

Larry